New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Beautiful Resort...LONG Transfer” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Ottawa
“Beautiful Resort...LONG Transfer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

The check-in to this hotel was wonderful! Frosty cold glass of champagne at the door! No long lines at the reception desk...they had it all ready!! In and out of the salon in less than 2 minutes. An amazing beach that seems to go on forever with soft white sand, kept quite clean. Need to get up early to beat the towel throwers here as shaded space is limited...this needs upgrading! Resort is spotless in it's entirety! The staff spend a lot of time at it. Room equally spotless with pleasing separate vanity and bath areas with updated fixtures, great water pressure and quick hot water. Bedding appears to be new and we had little discomfort sleeping on these beds. Immediate help in the room if a lamp or plug is not working. Pools were nice but not magnificent. Getting a chaise on the Paraiso side was virtually impossible(towel throwers)...we only spent one day of 7 at the pool due to this. This side has all the daytime activities and the most fun. The Azul side is quiet and relaxed and many chaises are available. Many available bars though check the times they are running in your brochure. I compliment the Paraiso pool bar for keeping up under pressure and especially compliment the Grille bar for enthusiastic and educated bartenders, I have Ridiel in mind. Find him...you will never be thirsty!! If you are a flower lover, you will find your heart's content here with exquisitely maintained gardens and many varieties of tropical flowers blooming constantly. Of course there are negative things about any place. You choose where you want to go, so do not be disappointed in the VERY long transfer from Santa Clara to Memories; try to make sure you do it in the daytime to view this part of Cuba. As a second negative, food choice and quality are in question. We found our best choices in the main buffets near reception. A la cartes were medium to poor with the exception of the Italian where we had a scrumptious well catered meal. More staff are required to handle the requests of patrons when busy; our evening meal seemed to take too long each time we visited. Food allergies are not recognized and difficult to impart to your server...keep this in mind. More fresh fruit would have been a bonus during our stay, maybe we were out of season? We had some minor tummy complaints during the week we stayed but nothing out of the usual in a different country. Overall, we would rate Memories Paraiso with a 4*, with their staff, beautiful beach and spotless clean properties, including the rooms. With better food and a shorter transfer, it may well have gotten 5+*. As five time Cuban visitors in five years, we appreciated most that the hotel had to offer. Thanks for having us!

Room Tip: Take whatever room they give you. If you are unhappy, show it. They will find you something much nic...
7 Thank LovestheBeach21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,848)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

We went the beginning of Feb, and I have to say I was pretty worried because of all of the negative reviews. When I got there I breathed a sigh of relief...it was like I hoped it would be, nice. the staff ARE in fact friendly, the food WAS good, house maid did his job etc etc etc.

Sunwing flight from edmonton went without a hitch, no delays what so ever, going there or coming back so I wouldnt hesitate to fly with them again. Check in was slow, and getting our room was a bit of a gong show, but after that just got better.
the entertainment was lame, although the michal jackson impersonator was awesome....if you want to see good entertainment go to the pueblo , that little tourist town they build, cause thats where it looked like the off shift cubans went and they did shows there that was full of dancing, music and energy. go bowling while your there ots only $2 a game !
the buffet food was actually GOOD, or maybe im a simplilton. the ala cartes were awesome....but contrary to all the reviers we found italion horrible, it was slow and not very good...the carrabean and meditaranian killer though.
go on the catamaran tour, if your lucky enough to get a good day, will be a highlight of your whole trip :)

7 Thank messsa
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Me and my wife with our 2 kids (21 months and 3 months old) just back from this resort and we are so happy. From the begining till the end we had great time. In the plane, at the resort, restaurant and beach, everybody was so kind with us and give us help as well. We did a 1h40mins bus trip from the small airport of Santa Clara but was great to see small city and real people from cuba in normal life. At the resort, the check-in was good because we speak english, sorry for quebecer but CUBAN DON'T SPEAK FRENCH, anyway sunwing staff always there to help and they are. With the photos of the resort what you see is what you get. Beautiful room, clean and staff are so nice. The food was ok, everyday we ate to much so, keep in mind that is not a 5 stars in canada but is very good in cuba. And don't forget that people there are working very hard to help you having good time, so be polite, give some tip and enjoy simple life. We pass much time to the beach and have good time everyday. Will probably going back there soon or later.

Room Tip: Bungalow 32 and 33 are close of everything, lobby, buffet, theater, beach and pool. Get a room at se...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
16 Thank Dany G
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I just came back from Memories at Cayo - Santa Maria, and and enjoyed the nicest beach that I've ever experienced so far. Memories is rated as a 5 star hotel, but as most say, in comparison to Mexico, it's about 3.5 stars. In my opinion the food was edible, but I wouldn't go further then that. The service wasn't  good either, no matter how much you tip.  Because its a communist country all hotels are government owned and all employees are government employees. Employees get paid no matter how hard or little they work. For the price I paid I would go back because as I said the beach was picture perfect. Staff was friendly and rooms were nice and clean.  I would not suggest booking with Expedia as when you really need them their service is atrocious, I used  Redtag and they were much more customer oriented.
The hotel is fairly secluded and not very kids friendly/oriented. Besides tours that are at additional cost there is very little to do.  It was a struggle to get seats on the beach each day.  Hotel staff struggled with English. We've done the three cities tour, good tour if you want to experience the real Cuba and learn a thing or two. This tour also included the cigar factory tour.
The second excursion we did was the the Catamaran?? ( the one where you go snorkeling, and also get to play with the dolphins). This tour is the most popular one and we enjoyed it as well.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Jim S
North Vancouver BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Just returned from a week's trip from this resort ( Feb.14 to 22nd) through Sunwing Holidays from Vancouver BC. We booked last minute to celebrate my husband's mile stone birthday and had my brother join us from Calgary. We booked " Diamond" club, and all in all can't really say it was worth the upgrade, especially since my brother paid for the upgrade but it wasn't relayed to the resort. It was a constant joke that we had the silver bracelet and he had the green bracelet. The upgraded private beach area was too crowded to enjoy, and the one time we did get in, there was no real reason to be there as the " butler" service supposed to serve drinks, wasn't happening. Mid way into the holiday we discovered we getting a night turn down with chocolates on the pillow, but that was not really necessary.

One of the reasons I booked last minute was I was feeling unwell with health challenges. The plane trip there and back was brutal as there is an expectation that you arrive early, there are limited staff to help you check in, although they were very friendly and efficient. The flight is a night trip and then there is a hour and half bus trip to the resort. With Diamond club we were supposed to have speedy check in and extended check out, that didn't really happen. The room we had was clean and nice,no smells, but we were in a new section. My brother's initial room was dank and smelly, but when he asked to move to our bungalow, they cheerfully complied. There are mosquitoes, but they spray regularly. The evening shows were great (one day on, one day off). The staff were friendly, helpful and pleasant. The beach was beautiful, white sand and azure water. The weather varied, some days it was quite windy. We always managed to find beach chairs, but we spaced our times. THe complaint we heard was that this wasn't a 5 star resort and people compared it to others. My retort to that is that the people at the resort weren't 5 star quality. We paid, with the Diamond upgrade, just over eleven hundred dollars for an all inclusive resort. I don't drink alcohol, but there were plenty of people that made up for my abstinence, and those people, in my opinion dragged down the resort. The food for Cuba was great, smoked salmon, pizza, pasta dishes, salads, great cheeses, soups etc. with 8 al a cart eateries that you reserve with the concierge .The Sunwing trip is really an excellent value for the money. What pleased us was seeing a variety types of people using this resort, from young families to disabled seniors who were able to be wheeled in their wheel chairs right to the beach. The resort is really large, actually two resorts mirroring each other, and there were shuttle carts driving those who could not walk from one place to another.

What is disappointing is seeing comments written that this resort doesn't deliver 5 star service. This comes from people who expect high grades but do not tip or pay for that level of service. This package is extremely affordable for working families and delivers good value for the buck. Go with a good attitude and you'll have a great holiday.

Room Tip: If you want quiet as we did, we asked for a room at the outside of the resort, away from the pool ar...
17 Thank Sunnyboy_11
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

DON'T LISTEN TO THE BAD REVIEWS........
My wife and I stayed at the Memories Azul from Feb. 7-21. Although there were many poor reviews in the previous weeks before our departure we did not let them put us down. This was our third time in Santa Maria and our stay hear was the Azul was the best. From the time we arrived at the hotel checkin was very quick, our luggage were in our room in less than 15 minutes considering there were 3 bus loads of people arriving back to back that was fast. The resort is kept very clean, staff is very helpful and do therie best to please. The buffet: plenty of food and lots of selection, my wife is a very picky eater but always something their that she liked. We would get in line-ups for the pasta, fish, pizza, beef, and always we never spent more than 1 hour from the time we walking into the buffet got our food ate and be finished eating. The Ale Cartes were great, food was top notch great presetation and taste, you would never leave hungry. Lobby bars are good but they do get busy at night so service is a little slower but the bar staff really do try their best to serve the guests as quickly as possible but there are some people who just can't wait. Entertainment staff are very good and do keep the guests entertained in the pools and theatre at night, in the lobby bars the are jazz bands every night and are very good. Rooms are great and clean, our room was usually cleaned by 11am. This resort is very big and lots to do, family friendly. Yes we would definetly go back to this resort, and recomend it to family and friends, this resort is rated a 5 star and deserves it, we have being to other 5 star resorts in Cuba, Domican , Mexico and Jamacia they could not even come close. We always say bad reviews, good reviews, not everyone can be kept happy some people are just to picky so go expecting a little and everything more is a bonus. You will not be dissapointed with this resort.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, they a either pool view, oceanview, resort view or garden view, all good
10 Thank mustangsvt
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Memories Azul Cayo Santa Maria

Overview
* I am a 36 year old male who traveled alone for background information. I have been to 60 islands/Countries thus far in my life so I have believe I am well experienced in traveling. I am somewhat picky when it comes to my trips but I also know what are the common issues one will face anywhere in the world - 3rd world or 1st world so I won't be speaking of those. The Azul and Parsaro are really one resort as they share the same stuff really...

Flight & Bus Transfer
* Flight from Ottawa to Santa Clara was great. Sunwing tour operator ran very smooth. Note that they tend to have only 2 checkin counters running so expect that you will be waiting in line to check in your bags longer than you would at any other flight. This is also because there is no self-check in options.

* The bus transfer from the city of Santa Clara to the resort was great. The driver was professional and the hotel rep was great at providing information during the trip. Note that the bus ride took 1 hr and 40mins exactly from door to door. The bus ride was actually wonderful because it was more like a 'free' Island Tour!! You were able to see a couple small towns on the way and of course the beautiful man-made roads over the sea to the town of Santa Maria. The beers on the bus cost 2cuc each and the same with the 'sprite' but those sold out very quickly. I was told that one bus had a broken toilet on it so make sure you use the airport one before leaving to get on the bus. However, don't worry as that bus ended up stopping at one of the towns so people could use a public bathroom.

Price
* I have been to Cuba 7 times now and the price I paid for a Ocean View - Single Occupancy vacation from Ottawa, Ontario only cost me $1080 leaving on Feb 14th, 2012 for one week. This is a very good price for a 5* cuba resort and flight especially for single occupancy. Medical insurance was an additional $25 - or you could have went with a regular view room for $20 less but for $20 more it was WELL worth it.

Room
* The ocean view room was amazing. Being my 7th time to cuba this room was by far the best room I have yet to stay in and come to think of it out of all the 60 places I have stayed this room ranks up there among even the best in north america. The room had a safe that worked, iron, ironing board, extra blankets, beach towels which they replaced daily; a fridge that worked and was stocked daily with 2 beer, 1 cola, 1 sprite, 1 large bottle of water. Note: if you hang a 1cuc on the handle of the fridge door the guy will give you an extra 2 beer and an extra bottle of water and trust me it was well worth it as you will see coming back to your room at 3am wanting either more beer or water!! The maids cleaned the room very well and the beds were 'average' > Note: Grab the extra blankets out of the closet and lay them under the bottom sheet - this will make the bed 10x softer on your back and skin. The bathrooms were great as they have a deep tub and a multi-type shower head. Note: Turning the shower head to the 'mist' function felt wonderful after cooking up in the sun all day. There was always hot water and pretty of shower pressure all day and night long. The air conditioner worked amazing - touch screen AC full options on it. They allow it to fun 24/7 unlike some places where you need your card to keep it going. Each room has a beautiful large balcony with chairs on it. My room was close to the beach, 3rd floor (top floor) on the corner over looking the Sea and the pool. I have to say out of all the rooms i was in on the resort I had one of the best locations and views. Note: Request room 5679 and you will not be disappointed at all. Very quiet also, the doors and walls seal very well and block a lot of the noises. Plus being on the 3rd floor corner you do not have neighbours beside you and the bugs don't seem to fly that high.

Beach
* The beach was amazing - the crystal clear water for miles out. The soft white sand is to die for. Cuba has one of the best beaches you will find in the world. Since I have traveled a lot of the world I can say this is in the top 10 if not top 5. Some reviews say they had a hard time finding chairs - not the case at all. There are tonnes of chairs and if you don't feel like finding one yourself there are guys on the beach for 1cuc will go get a chair, clean it off, and place it anywhere you want. Well worth a buck... there are limited cabana's and true you need to get up early (6am) to reserve one but again this happens everywhere in the world and at all resorts. Note: best tip i can give you is go into your closet in the room and there is a blue beach/rain umbrella there. Bring it to the beach and it can attach to the side of the chair giving you shade when you want it and folds up for all the sun you can handle! There are fun beach games the staff puts on and the winners get a bottle of rum at the shows at night. The beach bars are great - every 100m they had someone getting you whatever you wanted.

Food & Drink
* I must say the food and drink was great. Out of the 7 times I been to Cuba this was the best place overall. They really did put on a great spread and every night they had lots of different things you could try. Note: since things repeat a lot like every buffet make sure you stick with one type for each meal this way you will not get sick of eating the same thing daily. One night have pasta, next fish, next chicken, etc. Breakfast was the best meal of the day - crepes, eggs, bread, waffles -awww so good and I am a very picky food guy. Note: watch for the deep fried fish as the oil i believe can be old causing one to perhaps get ill. The pizza was one of the best things there...wow, was I every impressed. The stir-fry was also very good and the guy was very fast at getting everyone their food - he earned his tips. The line ups at 'prime' time can be a little long - but waiting 15mins for fresh hot prepared food is well worth it to me. I don't think the time was very long at all cause your busy chatting with people and wondering what else you want. They have many a-la-carte resturants that were great from what people told me. Note: First day you arrive go and book them right away as they can fill up fast. Be prepared to enjoy the dinner as its more of a relaxing slower speed and not like the fast paced buffet. The drinks were great everywhere - service is actually good compared to most resorts and flashing a 1cuc bill goes a long way when you want faster service.

Activities
* There is loads of things to do there. They even have a bowling center on the resort and for a small fee of 2cuc you can have a great time with your buddies. 10 pin bowling and it was loads of fun and laughs. They have sailing rides in the Sea, kayaks you can take out, great snorkeling on the east end of the beach - thousands of fish to see and its all walk off the beach into the water... free! Note: Bring your own snorkel gear if you want to do this. They have nightly entertainment including a live band at supper time and then main show area has a nightly kids show followed up the main show which is pretty much the same every night with local music and dancers, After the first couple nights it does get boring but after speaking with the entertainment manager she said they are trying to change things up in the future which is good. There are shops and restaurants at the west end of the resort where you can buy things to bring home (very cheap no need to bargain). Note: You can buy these large wooden cuban mugs for $5 each and free engraving on them and you can use them instead of those tiny plastic cups at the bars. Great deal and they hold like 3x the amount of booze/beer !! The disco was fun each night starting around 11pm. It costs only 2cuc to get in but trust me its a great time. Like anywhere, you make the night as much fun as you want too no one will make it fun for you. Around the pools they have basketball court, badminton, pool tables, ping pong tables and many other things like chess.

Scooters & Diving
* I rented a scooter one day for 4 hours and it cost me 21cuc plus I filled up the tank for 4cuc. Very cheap and I did the entire island all the way to the start of the first bridge. It was beautiful well worth it and fun. I did not end up going scuba diving like i planned because i was drinking at the club and stuff so I did not risk my life going. However, from what I know the diving there is average but pretty cheap compared to other places.

Pools
* There are tonnes of pools - adult pools and kids pools. There is no issue in finding shade or chairs if you want to hang by the pool and chill. Loads of things to do as they have volleyball, soccer, music, drinking games too!! Very cool...

Kids
* They have great activities for kids from what I saw. They even had a kids club where you can let your child play in a group with other kids. They even have their own pool and play ground areas. Nightly they even have a kids show where they go on stage and play with clowns and dance and sing.

Overall
* Overall I would have to say this is the best resort by far out of all the other 6 resorts i been to in Cuba and even comparing it to Mexico and Dominican I say it does very well. If I find another great deal price like this to go here - I will cause you do get a great bang for your buck at his resort.

*The only bad thing I could really find was there is no little town near by that you can easily get to and tour around like in Varadero. The other thing is at night time they tend to have bugs that bite so bring your repellant with you. Stay off the grass at night as the sand fleas come out when it cool and feast on your ankles. The resort goes around and sprays the trees and stuff each night but again it only does so much. Plus, like all resorts you will get this at night time - I am just trying to be super picky here. I only got maybe 8 bites the entire time which is nothing.

9.7 out of 10 rating - Very good & Highly Recommended if going to Cuba

Room Tip: Room 5679 - very close to beach, away from noise of main show & disco, top floor with best view...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
#5 of 7 in Grand Cul-de-Sac
Colombus Hotel
Colombus Hotel
#7 of 7 in Oyster Pond

Been to Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort? Share your experiences!