New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“beautiful beach” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Kamloops, Canada
“beautiful beach”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

just returned from a 1 week vacation at this resort, we found the staff helpful and friendly, food as ok but long line ups. ocean view room very nice, hard to find a chair at the pool but rather be at the beach anyway it was beautiful. the bus ride to and from airport was long but worth it when you get there ( 1hr 45 min) All in all we had a great vacation.

Room Tip: 3rd floor ocean view
3 Thank redhead340

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,847)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Tara, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I just returned from a weeks vacation at Memories Paraiso Beach Resort (Feb. 15th-Feb.22nd) and I cant say enough good things about it! I went with 3 other girls and we are all late 20s-early 30s.! Before we went, we read alot of reviews that to be honest, made me a little nervous that maybe we had chose the wrong resort... Boy were we wrong... I think that some of the people who write these reveiws just like to complain....
The resort is beautiful! Very clean, great staff etc etc...
The staff go above and beyond to make sure your stay is great! There are several pools, swim up bar, multiple restaurants and buffets... This resort is attached to Memories Azul Beach Resort which is also incredible... the best part is that you get to use all the amenities, restaurants, bars, pools etc of both resorts!!!! I would suggest getting to the pool or beach early if you want a lounger..people put their towels on them bright and early to reserve them for later in the day so Id suggest doing the same!! Its a huge resort! Another awesome perk is that there is a Market right beside it with restaurants, a disco, a spa, bank, bowling alley, look out tower, shopping & handi crafts etc etc This resort has something for everyone and every age! The entertainment staff are awesome,., we saw several fantastic shows,,but the Michael Jackson tribute was our favorite for sure!!!! As for days trips/excursions, we did the Catamaran trip and the Jeep Safari! Both are great and worth their cost for sure!! If you are thinking about doing the Jeep Safari,. I recommend taking some little gifts for the children in the villages u pass through ( things like candy, gum, coloring books, crayons, skipping ropes, dinky cars, toiletries even) they stand on the side of the roads and are very grateful & excited for anything at all... its just an awesome experience to see their faces light up with the littlest thing!!!
So all in all,,, an absolutely great experience at a beautiful resort!!! Cant wait to go back again!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank smalltowngirlca1607
yorkton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

This was my second time to Cuba 1st to varadero, by far Santa Maria is way nicer. This was my families 1st trip...they thought the resort was awesome, it is very large and there is alot of walking but this helps keep the pounds off. We were in bungalow 54 which is pretty central location and views were amazing. beach access and pool access very close. Food was pretty good always found something to eat (had one 10yr. old and one 13) they never went hungry either. Check in was great, service awesome, beach amazing. Only thing bad was that we flew in at night and never got to see the actual view on the causeway. Catamaran and dolphin tour well worth the 99 bucks. If you plan to do any excursions be sure to book them early as we found out they do fill up quickly. Yes there are line ups, but get a couple of extra drinks and mingle with everyone else standing in line time fly's then. All and all it was a great trip. make sure to hit the market next door to the resort there are some neat crafts and take in the 10 pin bowling it was a hoot.

Room Tip: 3rd floor better views.corner rooms less noisy not as close to the stairs.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank sherry v
North of Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

My husband and I, as well as my in-laws, and some friends (in total, 6 couples) stayed at Memories Azul Feb.14-21. Although slightly leary after some of the recent reviews leading up to the trip, we were pleasantly surprised and had a fabulous vacation. However, vacation is what you make of it. Some in our group did grumble and complain. It just goes to show how everyone is different. Half of our group were diamond club, half were not. We tipped quite generously at times, but also saw people who did not at all, and the service was the same.

Beach: The beach was by far one of the most beautiful I have seen, including Jamaica, Bermuda etc - we had the best of both worlds - very calm days, and very wavy days, which we loved. We never had a problem finding chairs or finding assistance to drag a chair somewhere. The line ups were hit and miss at the beach bar, but never too long. We thoroughly enjoyed the grill down at the beach for simple, fast and delicious snacks!

Meals: The food definitely had its highs and lows, and some items that some of us raved about in our group, others couldn't stand, so it clearly is subjective. We found that breakfast at the Grill was faster, and the line ups at Parisio were smaller for the 'made to order' items. You could always find something to eat, and some of the 'specialities' were very delicious. My husband and I tried out both the Italian and the Carribean a la cartes, and enjoyed both. Service was great for the most part. One night at the Azul buffet we didn't get any water or napkins until the end of our meal - but it was one server who did this - the other server actually sayed sorry for it - which could happen anywhere and at any restaurant. The rest of the days service was fabulous.

Room: Our room was great, and what we had requested (by email to the resort and through Sunwing). We were in 55. Some in our group were in 61, which they complained was a bit farther, but honestly, it was lovely to walk and you could take one of those carts (which I found to be a nuisance at times - always on the pathways) if you didn't want to walk. Our room was cleaned daily, and although we didn't always get the 'right' towels, our service was great. We tipped quite generously here, and were rewarded with many extra 'treats', such as a drawn bath with 'Love' spelt out in flowers, extra bottles of rum etc. One couple in our group did have the maid service come at 11 p.m. at night, but personally, our room was always clean by 1 or 2. The mini fridge service was great, and they always asked what we would like/had no problem giving us an extra bottle of this or that.

Excursions: We did the catamaran/dolphin excursion, as well as the forest adventure hike. One in our group also enjoyed renting a scooter and heading into town. We also took the paneramic tour bus to the small puebla down the road - personally I did not find it worth it, as the puebla off our resort had a lot more and you didn't have to wait for the bus/stop at all the resorts/waste time. The puebla off the resort was a great walk/break in the day and had lots of changing trinkets and vendors daily. We ate at one of the restaurants, and a few in our group thoroughly enjoyed the spa. The catamaran trip was enjoyable - I have been on better to be honest, and I did not enjoy that at the end the actually walked the bucket around to be tipped, but it was still enjoyable. The forest adventure was great, and our tour guide was fabulous, however, due to the remote nature of Cayo Santa Maria it made for a LONG day - 4 hours on the bus to get there, then a trip on an army truck, hiking, lunch and a 3.5 bus ride back. It was a great experience, and I am glad I did it once, but definitely a LONG day. The food was great on this excursion though, and we did get to see a lot of the country side on the trip there.

Staff: We met some fabulous people and had no problems - everyone was very friendly and we were as involved as we wanted to be, without being pushed. Some of us joined the dance lessons and made friends, others did not, and no one found the staff rude or pushy.

Entertainment: The entertainment was okay - not the best, but not the worst I have seen. The Michael Jackson evening was enjoyable - some of the audience interaction nights - not so much so - I can see drunk girls act ridiculous at a bar here. The music outside the theatre in the evenings before the show started was always a nice touch, and it was nice to see everyone gathered around enjoying the band - made for a nice atmosphere.

Location: The location is a bit far, and does make doing a lot of excursions difficult. We enjoy meeting with locals, and this location made it hard to do that. However, for relaxing, beauty, sun and sand - it can't be beat! The 1.5 bus ride was not that bad as it was a sightseeing opportunity - I could see how if you were coming in the middle of the night though, it wouldn't be so bad!

Tips:

Don't wait to book your excursions and a la cartes after the welcome session - you can do them at any point at the tables in the lobby - easier to avoid the lines by doing so.

Take a travel alarm.

Take bug spray - we only had a few nights with bugs, but it was better to have it than to not.

Overall it was an enjoyable stay at a lovely resort. There is room for improvement, but I do think they are trying. There is also room for travellers to be try a bit more too - I was appalled at some of the behaviour I saw by fellow Canadians. Common courtesy can go a long way.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank TravellingTogether
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Stayed at memories from feb 14-21 2012. My wife and I went with 2 other couples for the week out of Toronto and we had a blast. This was our second time to Cuba in as many years and our first time to Cayo Santa Maria. We had a 1st flr room which was great as we're younger and loved the quick jump from our walkout to the pool. Rooms are basic and very clean. We had no insect issues and the only issue with our room was the toilet kept running after flushing..no big deal as it just took a bit of practice to push the flush button the right way lol.

Bars/grills/buffets all close to pool and beach is a 200m walk from pool on a great boardwalk through tropical scenes.

First day I realised how the pool/beach chair game worked..put your towel on the chair u want then come back after breakfast for it..to those who complain about having to reserve a chair-dont be lazy and wake up book your chair and forget about it..not that hard. Food was decent(great for cuba)..some things were bland and a mystery but there are lots of other things to fill you up. Pizza and pastas are great at the buffets.. Some of the grill service lines were long but its worth it.
Everything was great. Great holiday and a great time to get a week away from the cold and off work.
One issue that I think could be worked on was the staff's ability to communicate.. Very friendly but it can be hard to get through to them if you have a question other than "rum?".
Friendly staff and for the most part friendly vacationers there as well..

• Stayed February 2012
7 Thank j_a_cuba2012
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

My wife and I have been to Cuba 6 times and this was the best resort yet. Great value and great service, but what really stood out was the food.

Family trip for the 6 of us, my wife and I, 2 daughters and 2 spouses (includes 2 vegetarians)

Great Food: Lots of variety, buffet style. All the food was fresh and tasty with lots of healthy and vegetarian alternatives. True, there were line ups for the custom made omelets, pasta, grilled items if you wanted to have it cooked to your specifications. But there was a lot of hot/cold items ready to go. Everyone loved the food. Many of the items had a Mediterranean flair. Dessert table was the best yet.

Specialty restaurants: All very good service and quality. Classier service and decor than the buffet. BUT some restaurants are open air so you will be bitten by mosquitoes at night.

Rooms: Large and clean, Newly renovated with nice bathrooms.

Beach: Very nice white sand and clear blue water, long but not as wide as I am used to.

Pools: Very Clean. 3 pools I think. They often had music, a little loud for my taste but they often had live music at the pools.

Bars: Lots of little bars all over the place. But one central bar, classy and live music at night. Not much of a drinker myself but they make great espresso and cappuccino :-)

"The Village": They had a little "village" attached to the property, it was made up of lots of cafes, a spa, restaurants and shops. Beautiful place to take photos, but a little overpriced. The restaurants are NOT worth going to, way overpriced, simple items like buns were not available. $2 charge for each water. Better off eating at the buffet or special resort restaurants.

Excursions: We signed up for a couple of excursions, nice, typical but a little overpriced. Worth it if this is your first trip to Cuba, if you have been a couple of times... nothing new.

Over all: Loved this place, it is huge so they have free golf cart rides anywhere you want to go on the property... great for us over 50 crowd :-) The golf cart (shuttle) service runs 24 hours a day and you can call for one or just wait a few minutes for one to show up. This really saved me, I had a sore foot.

Loved this place, we will be back.

Room Tip: Pool view is very nice but loud. Causeway view is nice if you to see a sunrise and enjoy quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank Robin_Sp
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

The check-in to this hotel was wonderful! Frosty cold glass of champagne at the door! No long lines at the reception desk...they had it all ready!! In and out of the salon in less than 2 minutes. An amazing beach that seems to go on forever with soft white sand, kept quite clean. Need to get up early to beat the towel throwers here as shaded space is limited...this needs upgrading! Resort is spotless in it's entirety! The staff spend a lot of time at it. Room equally spotless with pleasing separate vanity and bath areas with updated fixtures, great water pressure and quick hot water. Bedding appears to be new and we had little discomfort sleeping on these beds. Immediate help in the room if a lamp or plug is not working. Pools were nice but not magnificent. Getting a chaise on the Paraiso side was virtually impossible(towel throwers)...we only spent one day of 7 at the pool due to this. This side has all the daytime activities and the most fun. The Azul side is quiet and relaxed and many chaises are available. Many available bars though check the times they are running in your brochure. I compliment the Paraiso pool bar for keeping up under pressure and especially compliment the Grille bar for enthusiastic and educated bartenders, I have Ridiel in mind. Find him...you will never be thirsty!! If you are a flower lover, you will find your heart's content here with exquisitely maintained gardens and many varieties of tropical flowers blooming constantly. Of course there are negative things about any place. You choose where you want to go, so do not be disappointed in the VERY long transfer from Santa Clara to Memories; try to make sure you do it in the daytime to view this part of Cuba. As a second negative, food choice and quality are in question. We found our best choices in the main buffets near reception. A la cartes were medium to poor with the exception of the Italian where we had a scrumptious well catered meal. More staff are required to handle the requests of patrons when busy; our evening meal seemed to take too long each time we visited. Food allergies are not recognized and difficult to impart to your server...keep this in mind. More fresh fruit would have been a bonus during our stay, maybe we were out of season? We had some minor tummy complaints during the week we stayed but nothing out of the usual in a different country. Overall, we would rate Memories Paraiso with a 4*, with their staff, beautiful beach and spotless clean properties, including the rooms. With better food and a shorter transfer, it may well have gotten 5+*. As five time Cuban visitors in five years, we appreciated most that the hotel had to offer. Thanks for having us!

Room Tip: Take whatever room they give you. If you are unhappy, show it. They will find you something much nic...
7 Thank LovestheBeach21
#5 of 7 in Grand Cul-de-Sac
Colombus Hotel
Colombus Hotel
#7 of 7 in Oyster Pond

Been to Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort? Share your experiences!