“nice resort....well worth your money”

Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Canada
“nice resort....well worth your money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

we stayed at this resort from February 16th to 24th. we were really nervous after reading all of the reviews, but were very happy when we arrived. Please ignore all of those bad reviews everyone has a few things happen on a holiday but lets face it you make your holiday good or bad, not the resort, stop being so petty and enjoy this beautiful resort. the staff are amazing and work very hard, please tip when you receive good service, they really do appreciate it. it is a long drive but sit back have a few beers and enjoy the ride ( 2 pesos per beer). check in was quick and our bags were in our room within 10 minutes. the beach is beautiful and the water clear, yes you have to get up early (we would get up around 6 to make sure we got shade but we were spending the day there so it was worth it) and reserve chairs at the beach and pool but the mornings are so beautiful it is worth getting up early for, it is so peaceful and quiet enjoy a nice relaxing walk with your loved one. the food is okay but a bit repetitive at the buffet, but we didn't go to Cuba for the food, we always found something to eat, stand in line for the fresh food it is worth it, try to go at a non peak time waits will be shorter. take travel mugs for drinks. book your ala cartes and excursions asap as they fill up quite quickly. please be kind to the animals around the resort they are very freindly and love a little attention( we always took some our left over food and gave them a little). go on the open top bus only costs 2 pesos round trip goes around the island as well as to the dolphonarium. you can also rent bikes and scooters at the resort. the paddle boats, catamaran and kayaks are on the beach, fun to use just have to wait you cant reserve them but waits arent long and are lots of fun and worth it. we were in bungalow 32 we liked the location, rooms are nice, the only down fall is the small beds it was hard for two adults to fit comfortably in them (double beds), king wouldnt have worked for us as our teenagers travelled with us. they unfortunately don't have anything to do in the evenings for the teenagers, everthing is shut down by 5:30, you cannot use the tennis courts at night, the only thing is the show at 9:30 for one hour. they do not have anything posted on a board to tell you what is going on at the different places in the resort, the azul side seemed to have something going on at the beach and at the pariso side they had things at the pool during the day. the micheal jackson impression was good the rest of the shows are okay but need some work. go to the market beside the hotel there are vendors with their crafts they are really cute and cheap to purchase. we always exchanged our money at the hotel but heard it was cheaper to do it at the market bank. the grill at the beach was great, you can get burgers or chicken all day, really good and you dont have to leave the beach to eat if you dont want to. we also ate at the grill at the buffet by the beach the first night we got there you could also get burgers, hotdogs, fries ,it was good as well it is open 24 hours for drinks and grill.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank Callli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,916)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
NWOntario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I sat tongue in cheek for many weeks as I watched many people write their opinion on how poor their time was at this hotel....I have been to this beach twice before, last year and 3 years ago. We have been many places for winter sun and have also felt a need to return to Cayo Santa Maria. Our last 2 experiences here were with the Barcelo Beach resort and even tho the Memories was once part of the Barcelo I thought I would hold my rebuttal of all the negativity until I had visited again in person. So here you go!
First let me say that we got and INCREDIBLE price through SUNWING and were fortunate to be able to stay 2 weeks at this resort Feb. 10 to Feb 24, 2012. We booked oceanview for 750/person/week. ($107.14/day including transfers and airfare...and this is important to remember later in my review)
We spent and extra few dollars for Elite Class and pre booked our seats (both my husband and I are tall and was great to have the extra leg room)...well worth the money as well to not have to wait in the 2 hour line arriving at checkin in WPG airport. No wait and and extra 10kg weight allowance/person! A note to SUNWING tho....you should really update your planes as have other airlines....the seating is small and cramped and trying to eat a meal in such a setting is really not fun...nor the 4.5 hours spent tryin to politely stay in your own narrow space and not infringe on your neighbour. Unless you are 100lbs or less the seating is way too tight for a trip of this length. On a positive note, our flight crew was pleasant and efficient and the meal aboard was pretty good for plane food!
Our flight was uneventful until attempting to land in Santa Clara at 1am...FOG(and apparently this time of year this is the norm more than the abnorm!) After 2 failed attempts at landing we were re-routed to Varadero to land. Disappointing for sure to delay the start of our vacation, but not for sure liking the alternative! SUNWING does not control the weather for sure and we were grateful for the crew landing us safely in Varadero!
After a bit of delay we were unloaded to wait decisions on how we would get to our destination. Credit to SUNWING were were fairly quickly advised that they would be sending a bus to bus us the 5 hours to Cayo Santa Maria. Again disappointing but considering the alternative acceptable! HOWEVER, poorly handled by Sunwing staff the updates on our bus transfer were not forthcoming. Their staff disappeared and after the promised 2 hours no bus, no staff, no updates and a few disgruntled patrons! We sat 5 hours in the airport with people getting more upset and actually unruly. The wait for buses would have been acceptable had SUNWING kept a staff member on site, provided water and a snack for us and get everyone updated appropriately... customer service and consideration would have gone a long way here!
So the buses did arrive and we managed our way through Customs. Note to all they have changed things slightly here and now have a camera in the officers window. So instead of going to the window and talking with the officer as you are used to...hand over your passport to the officer and stand back against the wall and look at the camera...stay there until they tell you to come forward. Officers were a bit grumpy about the hovering at their cubicles...so don't:)
The ride from Varadero was long, but efficient with a reststop midway. Driver(from Varadero) was very pleasant for being rousted from his bed in the wee hours of the morning and considering he did not know the area of Santa Clara an Cayo SM, did very well getting us safely to our destination. The grumpy people on this trip would have done well to realize they had just gotten a 100CUC excursion for free...it was actually very nice to see the countryside.
Arrival at the hotel was efficient and checkin was very quick. Our suitcases arrived within 30 minutes of arrival to our room in what I consider the best of bungalows in this resort. Bungalow 55, located on the highest point of the resort it faces the ocean on oneside. Our room was oceanside on the second floor and the view was second to none. Room was very clean, bar well stocked. We had requested a Kingbed and did not get this. Understandable that it s very difficult to move a Kingbed into this room and I did not want to go to a room with a Kingbed a lesser view so we stayed put, moved the 2 doubles together and all in all were not any worse for wear at the end of 2 weeks. A note tho to the managers of this resort, they should consider replacing the Double beds with Queen beds this would alleviate many problems with putting the right beds in the right rooms...
We had a wonderful housekeeper, Carlos and our room was never in want of anything! Shower was above average pressure and we NEVER had any issues with hot water...always plenty any time of the day. Yes we did tip daily and left a gift for him as well. The staff stocking the bar always left us with more than enough of what we needed. Leave a note in the fridge with a tip if you have requests for extra water or pop. Be aware that the fellows that stock your fridge are carrying pails of fresh bottled water, pop and beer up the stairs and carryin by hand to your room (for 22 bungalows that average 60-80 rooms each)
I really can't say enough about the staff here. They are always as friendly as you indicate you want to be. If you don't want to be bothered by the staff, then don't talk to them...they leave you alone. But if you truly want to enjoy this trip, talk to the crew that are looking after your needs....there are some very incredible individuals to meet up with! It was great to see some of our old friends from the Barcelo Beach now working at the buffet and the grill. Carlos and Jose` as usual recognized my husband right away from our previous 2 trips to the Barcelo. Jose` provided my husband with his daily "2 eggs overeasy" better than he ever gets at home!
It was wonderful as well to meet some new ones! Maryolja(sp) made the best crepes....was sad to see her moved to the icecream machine at the pool later in our trip....she was a joy to talk with in the morning while she made your most delcious breakfast! Dany at the buffet was a standout...always happy and full of cheer and worked his tail off with a smile. (even when some of the guests were incredibly demanding and downright rude) Ysmani (and know I dd not get the spelling right for sure sorry!) as well at the buffet was the same. Many more at the buffet that I cannot remember their names. There were many at the Azul Grill as well that made our time enjoyable...the standout there was Alex...my (Mango)...always made sure that we had our beer and Mango juice within minutes of sitting down! The Manager Eduardo, is lucky to have some of these individuals workin for him...they made our trip! Eduardo is on top of his game...I have never seen a manager so hands on and aware of what was going on. We saw more of him daily than anyone else...and everyplace that we frequented he was there checking to make sure things were running well. Memories is lucky to have him! The staff overall was very hardworking and wonderful to be around...but guys you get what you give...notice the people working hard for meager wages all so you can enjoy your vacation! Including our gardener Alberto who spent long hours picking garbage out of the flowers and bushes day after day in the 90+ degree heat!
The beach as always was incredible...the crew down their working hard to keep it clean (no thanks to slobby vacationers that throw their cig butts and garbage in the white powder!) It is really one of the most incredible we have ever visited. The pool always clean and the pool bar crew and activity crew alot of fun! Next year tho I am bringing some CD's for them to play LOL!
As for food...if you can't find something good to eat here you are just too darn fussy....we tried many things that we would not try at home...all very tastey and for the most part well prepared. We never went hungry and did not get sick from anything we ate. Note to some of those grumpy people...if you want "americanized" food...stay home...you are in CUBA...enjoy what they have to offer you...the biggest complaint for me at the buffet was about a few of the ignorant vacationers...especially the fella who got all up in the managers face about the placement of the Jam in relationship to where he picked up his toast!@
I am sad to see this beach getting built up with more and more resorts...I did so enjoy it when it only had a few. Good for the Cuban economy bad for the peace and quiet we enjoy here.
Overall my biggest complaint is to the whining vacationers that expect to be waited on hand and foot, giving nothing back to this area or to the people that live and work here...glad that they rated it low...hoping that next year they stay home! For those who expect the 5 star Hilton rating...pretty sure yoou would not get this at home for 107/day...including your travel!
Way to go Memories Azul and your wonderful staff...next year we are bringing the kids and the grandkids...Gracias.

18 Thank aurorawind
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

We traveled to Memories Azul February 08 to February 22 2012. As this was our third trip to Cayo Santa Maria we knew in advance of the 90 min. bus trip to the resort. Taken in the daylight hours this is actually a very nice sightseeing trip with lots of rural Cuba to look at. Our arrival at the resort was somewhat chaotic, however, we had flown all night. Once checked in we were able to access our room at 10AM, after a buffet breakfast. Our room was in block 52 room #5280 third floor. We had a very nice view of the pool and also of the ocean as we were in a corner room. The room was very clean and well maintained with the exception of the bar fridge { fully stocked ] door whick had a broken catch. We took the Diamond Club option and for us this proved to be very good value as we had extra optional dining venues ,two exclusive restautrants and a very short line to book these. I like to drink old rum with ice and was able to choose a very good 10 year rum, if you like scotch you will also have good choices, but only with Diamond Club. The beach is one of the best in the Caribbean, super fine white sand,clean water and a very clean beach. If you like beach bar service take the Diamond Club. The food in the buffet is good for Cuba and if you like lots of fresh fruit this will be for you. Lunch and dinner have the usual cooking stations for pasta,fish, and chicken with lobster for lunch on fridays at the sports bar.The pools are very clean and the lounges are all in good repair. The pool water was not very warm in February as it is not heated. The grounds are very well kept with lots of flowers to brighten them up. Not all of the staff were fluent in english but we had no problems in requesting what we wanted using simple english and my limited spanish. The music in the two lobby bars I found to be very good and if you waited untill the buffet opened at 6.30 there was lots of room to sit and listen. We had 10 alternate restaurants in 14 days so did not have to rush to the buffet. All of the alternate restaurants are quite good with the exception of the TexMex which none of us liked our favourite was the Italian which we dined at twice. The wines are different at most of the alternate restaurants and on the whole are very good, the best we have had in Cuba to date, our 9th visit. All in all we had a very good vacation and would recommend this resort highly. Bear in mind you are not at home things are somewhat different but why do you travel if you want no change from home. This is a good resort with a magnificant beach.

Room Tip: We found unit 52 to be very ideal close to everything and quiet. Would recommend the third floor,bes...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
13 Thank jollybeach
Pitt Meadows, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

My husband and I visited Cuba and stayed in Memories Azul Feb 14-22 and had a wonderful time. Like everyone else I read the negative reviews and was quite nervous considering this was his birthday gift from me. Im not sure what people can find to complain about...Sunwing was great, Check in was fast, our room was clean and fridge fully stocked, Resort workers were always smiling and greeting us with an "Hola", the beach and water is breathtaking, the food is totally fine(and Im a picky vegetarian who always managed to fill my plate) the Ala Cartes were wonderful too, the nightly entertainment was "entertaining", we sat on the beach everyday and never had an issue getting a lounger and if you did for $1 one of the men down there would go find one, set it up and clean it off. We also enjoyed the Catamaran Excursion and visited the spa in Pueblo Estrella(Beautiful!!!) We left gifts for the maids daily which were appreciated and tipped regularly as they all work so hard. Our Diamond Club Rep was also an absolute doll. No complaints in regards to resort itself or its workers.
That being said, my only complaint would be in regards to my fellow Canadians. I was left shaking my head more than once at the lack of respect for the Country and people of Cuba. Many of these people commute up to 7 hours a day in order to work at these resorts and I found it quite disgusting the way some Canadians barked orders and demanded things. Also, I was put off by all the littering. If you dont do it at home, dont do it there. Being at an all inclusive doesnt give you the right to be a rude, ignorant, belligerent, arrogant "Canadian". That by far was what bothered me the most.
Overall we met some wonderful people such as Ron + Maureen who saved us by lending us their digital camera when ours wouldn't work and Jan our fellow animal lover who always made sure the cats and "Chico" the dog got a lil something to snack on.
We plan on returning to Santa Maria again as its just to beautiful not too.

Room Tip: Top floor would be my advice as many people when checking out drag their luggage rather than carryin...
4 Thank DarwiN M
Port Perry, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

We were here last April when it was Barcelo Caribe and had the most amazing, relaxing, wonderful vacation! The staff are fabulous, so friendly! We still keep in contact with 2 of our good Cuban friends that we made there, writing letters back and forth, they are the kindest people you will ever meet! The rooms are amazing, beach is amazing, etc...etc! We are going back April 6th and cannot wait! We are even more excited this time now that the Azul side is open there will be more exploring to be done, more restaurants, we can't wait! Don't listen to the bad reviews, these are the kind of people that can't lift a finger for themselves and have nothing nice to say about anyone or anything. They are all likely the same kind of people that we witnessed yelling at staff, purposely smashing glasses on the ground, screaming obscenities, and falling on their faces too drunk to even remember their vacation! Just relax and enjoy...that's what a vacation is all about! Smile and be kind to the staff and you will have no problems with anyone!

Room Tip: We were in Bungalow 33 and loved it! Close to EVERYTHING!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
15 Thank sedgy6969
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

We stayed in room 5270, 3rd floor pool view from Feb 13th to 21st. The
flight was 1hr late leaving Calgary but only a few minutes late arriving
in Cuba. The flight home was on time. Elite service gave us our own check-in
line both ways so it was fast. They did weigh all of our bags including
our carry-ons both ways. Check-in at the resort was fast with Diamond Club,
as was booking our ala cartes. Everything in the room worked excellent,
the bed was firm but the pillows were soft and the fluffiest we have ever had.
The room was cleaned daily by 2:00 or so. If you are bring gifts for the
maids you may surprised like us...we had a male maid for the week (we've
always had female maids so the gifts we brought were for females). No biggie,
we left cash for him instead of gifts.

We paid $1396 per person which included Diamond Club, upgrade to pool
view, Elite seats and cancellation insurance from Calgary. Considering
some of the resorts we have been to in past years were going to be over
$2000 per person at the time of booking, we think the price we paid was
fair for what we received. We have travelled to many all inclusive
resorts in Mexico and the Dominican and stayed at 3 1/2 to 5 star
resorts but this was our first trip to Cuba. But you can't compare resorts
from one country to another. We met a number of people over the week who had
been on many trips to Cuba and the Azul was best they had stayed at.

The food wasn't the best we have had
(but we knew Cuba wasn't known for its food), nor was it the worst, and we
always found something to eat. The line ups for fresh cooked food were
not bad if your timing was right, and if not, it was a good time to chat
with the people in the line up. We ate at all the ala cartes except the
Steak house and the Diamond Club upgrade lobster dinner (my wife
dislikes seafood). Service was not very good except at the Italian ala
carte. We always seemed to get seated in the section with no waiter or
waitress. The food was pretty good but always cold except for the fish
at the Tex Mex. We ate dinner always at 8pm maybe that made a difference?
They didn't enforce the ala carte dress codes at all. You didn't need
foot wear, shirts and/or cover ups for the lunch buffets. Come on people,
some of us are trying to eat here!!!! Never did they check for wet bathing
suits at the lunch buffet so the chance of getting a wet chair cushion for the
dinner buffet was good.

The beach was the 2nd nicest we have been to, Grace Bay in the Turks
and Caicos being #1. We did see jelly fish washed up on shore a few
times and also 1 in the ocean near shore. We got tired of the drinks
pretty fast. We like to drink the cold refreshing slushy types of
drinks on these types of holidays ~ pina coladas, daiquiris, Miami vice,
etc. The slushy machines never got cold enough to make the mix slushy so
we ended up drinking warm drinks all week. They did add ice cubes but
it just wasn't the same. The grilled chicken and hamburgers on the beach
by the Parasiso resort were excellent. All the staff we encountered were
more than friendly. We never had to play the towel game. We always
managed to get loungers on the beach around 9:00 in the morning and
then loungers mid afternoon at the pool. If you want shade under the
palapas on the beach you will have to play the towel game starting very
early. The resort needs to do the towel card thing that other resorts do so you
can't have more than 1 towel per person. Some people were saving
loungers on the beach in the sun, under the beach palapas AND at the
pool all at the same time. That's 6 loungers and 6 towels for 2 people.
No wonder some days they were out of clean towels early in the day. They
did get a whole bunch of new green towels mid week. We did the catamaran
trip and enjoyed that but I didn't like how they went about getting tips
at the end. We met one older couple (their 5th trip to Cuba) that were asked
by the manager to report things they saw as problems to him. It was nice to see small
changes over the course of the week. In our travels we have only had a
few resorts that we considered "perfect", most have things you like and
dislike. We liked more than we disliked this trip . When we don't have clean or to cook, freeze to death back in Calgary, it's a good trip already!

5 Thank kjluvthesun
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Well, i will start off by saying this was our tenth trip to Cuba. Myself, my sister and my two teenage kids. We love Cuba and always have a great week. This year we decided to come to Santa Maria. Yes, the beach is beautiful, the resort, and the pools, and the rooms, and the food all great. The one thing at this resort that stands out for us was the people.....When we were on our way to Cuba, my 18 yr., old daughter took ill. She suffered on the plane, in the airport, and on the long bus ride to the resort. She had a sore throat, headache, and vomited on the plane and bus. It was a nightmare for her. We got to the resort, by the time we got to our rooms, she spiked a fever. So i went to the front desk, as a very concerned and worried Mom, they phoned the near by clinic, and i talked to the Dr. Within the hour he was at our room, examining my daughter. She had a very bad throat infection, so we got her started on antibiotics, and tylenol. The Dr., was wonderful and we all felt so much better. He gave me his phone no., if i needed him again. As the week went on, the staff found out about my sick kid, one lady cooking eggs gave me a jar of honey for her throat, and they all asked how she was. We were all so overwhelmed with the care, and concern that we got from the beautiful Cuban people. In the end we all had a great holiday.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Grand Memories Varadero
Grand Memories Varadero
#34 of 63 in Varadero
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,926 reviews

Been to Memories Paraiso Beach Resort? Share your experiences!