New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“GREAT RESORT !!!! PRICE VERSES QUALITY” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Toronto, Canada
“GREAT RESORT !!!! PRICE VERSES QUALITY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Our stay March 25th to April 8th. Listen over 100 times to cuba staying almost everywhere including premium five stars and regular cuban five stars.Memories Cayo Santa Maria is one of the BEST resorts comparing great price verses hotel quality features...period !!! Come on people what do you want fabulous food and very low prices? Forget it this will not happen in Cuba like other caribbean destinations. The u.s. embargo and local production is simply not of
international standards.

Here is a detailed review and very helpful tips:

ROOM:
A beautiful modern "five star" cuban junior suite. Great Satellite T.V. with more channels then I have ever seen in cuba. Over 45 channels. 8 spanish.Our electronic air conditioning worked great. Super cool if you like. Beds firms but good for sleeping posture for those heathly.Big soaking tub with plenty of hot water. Everything for us worked fine.Building NOT noisy!!!

SERVICE:
Great service by ALL staff. Tip appropriately and you will rewarded.Beautiful grounds and maintenance standards outside.Yes if you have a problem you may have to notify front desk more than once.If not satisfied try your sunwing rep. ever day at front lobby.It works !!!!!!!!!!

POOLS/BEACH:

Absolutely beautiful.Three distinct areas.There is a minclub for children 9 to 5PM with lots of toys,supervised great staff and even,1ST time ever in Cuba three playstation 3 game consules and X-Box with lots of games.Good lagoon pool for children beside mini club.Two other big adult pools with music on Paraiso and Azul sides. Magnificient beach with sand and water so Soft and powdery and do not know if there is better anywhere on earth. NOW LISTEN: About the difficulty getting loungers with shade every day??? OUR SOLUTION: We arrived 11AM every morning and simply moved our 3 loungers on to the grass by the pools and found plenty of palms with shady areas.Lots of privacy too! What you can't walk an additional 10 seconds to pools or drinks ???

FOOD:

Some absolutely delicious. A La Cartes : Remember food director is Italian. So Italian a la carte
is truly outstanding especially for Cuba.This is the BEST one. Good is Gourmet lobster,steakhouse ,mediterreanen and some items in TexMex. Asian just Ok.Now for some FOOD TIPS: Best grilled Hamburgers,Chicken Breasts and Hot Dogs are a Paraiso beach hut
grill on far west edge of beach.Super fresh Canadian style hamburg buns,great cheese,tomato
onions with plenty of ketchup and mustard. Also at Sports Bar 66 by Azul pool but not as good.
Delcious PIZZAS at PiZZA OVEN on Beach far east side of Azul section.Once a week but the day various FABULOUS freshly grilled large half lobster tails at Azul grill behind sports bar 66.
Lots for everyone who hits the right LUNCH day weekly for this great treat. lobster drizzled in butter,grilled hot and fresh,final drzzle of whitewine and fresh garlic if you wish.Eat two or more.
For the buffets you wait ten minutes plus for good grilled steaks (Ask medium rare) Chicken Breasts,Fish,Calamari,Pork Cops and great PASTA and FRIED RICE stations. Noticied now almost everything labelled. plenty of sauces,salad dressings,BBQ Etc.GREAT desserts,custards,Pies,and flambe of bananas,Pineapples and Pears in sugarly rum sauce with6/7 toppings.Limited fruit due to production restrictions in cuba.Also ONCE A WEEK at various dates FRESH GRILLED LOBSTER in Buffet AZUL side for dinner. So with a little planning and luck you can EAT really well while in CUBA.Gained five pounds !!!

IF YOU LIKE SNORKELLING:
Adults and teens only recommended. Go to end of beach Azul side by rocky outcrop. Do you
see the shady area of grass 100 feet out from beach about 600 feet long?? WOW!! an unbelievable concentration of four/five varieties of fish 20,000 to 30,000 fish...really!!! Please
be aware that circling these fish are 15/20 sometimes over 100 hundred Barracuda's 2 feet to
a huge 6 feet in length waitung to feed on the fish 'Buffet' The barracuda's avoid or move away from all snorkellers and never witnessed problems in 2 weeks of snorkelling. Also saw a school
of mini sharks 1 foot length. Dolphins in the early morning and some amazing duck like underwater birds really catching fish.

ENTERTAINMENT/SHOPPING:
Pueblo Estrella beside far end of Paraiso section has 1 kilometre of street vendors selling their
wares on street and new ones every few days. Good bowling/pool tables and lively Disco at nights with ALL age groups observed. $2 cuc admission fee.Great Bands and music now at front of theatre every night from 7PM to 8:30PM then mini disco for children followed by GOOD evening shows 9:15 to 10:15 PM. Micheal Jackson Last 20 minutes Monday and Friday nights.
So plenty to do for evening/night owls.

MY ONLY RECOMMENDATION FOR BUFFET/RESTUARANT MANAGER:
Please consider a NIGHTLY fresh 'roast' OPTION for guests in the buffet to speed up a fresh
food selection.I.E. Turkey,Roast Pork,Roast Chicken,Roast Beef etc. EACH NIGHT not once a week. I believe this will satisfy the remaining buffet skeptics!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Cubapro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,848)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Cambridge, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

OK So I was like many people, worried about going to a different location in Cuba, but HONESTLY so worth it! and even after reading some interesting reviews!! some might not know that it takes about 1.5 hr drive from Santa Clara to the Key of Santa Maria, but this was a great Family resort many young children, it was myself, husband and 3 yr old daughter, We all wished to stay longer and my daughter wants to go back! We ate and drank and slept well! I didnt feel unsecure at all!
Its quieter beach with no vendors pushing to buy! Rooms have all you need and more! I go for the pool and beach and entertainment anyways, but we had siestas in the afternoon also!
I would rate this resort 8 out of 10, just because they need a little more shade on beach and pool, but if people wouldnt save spots at both pool and beach just to have then it wouldnt be so bad, some would save at night for the next day! it was sad. We met some awesome people at the resort (Toronto, BC, Winnipeg,Hamilton, Brantford, you know who you are!!) But also had some who just frankly have no resort etique! they would just think they own it all! Honestly, many felt the same way! I thoughly enjoyed all aspects of our vacation, watching others act selfish was the only dissapointing thing!
FOOD: well we all gained weight so that said something!! We always had something to eat, and the wait isnt as bad as some people made it seem! It was worth it, and much better then sometimes sitting at the a la carte for 2 hr on only ok food! did the tex mex and carribean and gourmet as the others were booked up before we left!, dont wait for the "sunwing presentation" the next day to reserve, go to lobby and or theater to make reservation from 9-5 they are available we tried to get in the italian and mediteranian, both booked up :(, but we heard good things on those, also note (steak house is for diamond club) I would say you dont get anymore more with Dimond club, dont bother, that is what they told us! Otherwise food was great, we ate well over 3 times a day, they have burgers at the beach and sometimes hotdogs, fries are great! fresh fish, chicken and beef, they buffet dishes are also great! be creative, take a grilled chicken breast with grilled fresh bacon, in the bagette, add some mayo lettuce and tomatoes, you got yourself a bistro sandwich like Mc'D!! Its not that bad people!!!
People complained about the misquitoes, we have way more in our backyard in Cambridge, so its not that bad, but do take spray, and also for kids, I left it for our maid afterwards! they fogged it daily and it was great! I got some bites, but my hubby nothing!
Tips are always greatly appreciated, some staff we spoke with only get 200 a month, so they appreciate everything, and trust me, they work there butts off, some travel 3 hrs to get to work each way, The way I looked at it, we tipped the ones who made our vacation excellent, and they made it all week long! Ivon in the buffet was the one we went to all week, she saw us coming and had our orange juice and drinks at our table before we sat with our food, i left 1 peso after breakfast, she treated us like superstars! same with the pool bartenders both, and the towel guy!! If you talk to them and befriend the staff, they will appreciate it, our maid left us heart and swans and flowers, restocking team always left us what we used! if we asked for more they gave it!
For many people it was a first time trip others there 35th time to carribean, all enjoyed, and truly anywhere you go, you make it the vacation you want it to be, the beaches are nothing to compare! for the Cuban means, which I think are getting better, it was truly a great time, wished I could have stayed longer! My daugher was crying to leave!
Thank you to the bartender at the Lobbt bar for a great mojito and cappucino!! yum yum yum!
I think it is so worth the value of going!

Room Tip: We had the Bungalow 35! awesome location to pool beach and buffet and theater! all floors great. If...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Aurora, ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Here is our family's 2 cents: the resort is great and all the negative reviews were probably from people who had EXTREMELY high expectations because it's marketed as a 5-star. We arrived March 28th and had an amazing week, filled with pure sunshine, great activities from the resort crew and hours on the most amazing beach that is SO fantastic for kids! The water was shallow and had fishies swimming around so that even a 3 year old could see them at their ankles!

Food - wasn't 5-star dining, but was more than sufficient for everyone. I was terrified from all the negative reviews, but thankfully chicken tasted like chicken, the baguettes with butter were always fresh and soft, and the COFFEE & CAPPUCCINO's... ughhhhhhh SO GOOD! I wish they had more fresh fruit, but the pineapple, watermelon & papaya were fine. The reviews are correct in that the service in the main buffets were quite slow, but if you're staying at the Memories Azul, i'd highly recommend taking the extra 10 steps and eating at the Memories Paraiso buffet on the other side of the wall because the service was much better there.

Rooms - beds were firm and comfy, sheets and towels were cleaned everyday, about 40 channels to watch (sports & cartoons) and the AC worked just fine!
Pools - Huge selection of pools, and so family friendly with different depths in every single one - awesome fun for the kids.
Gym - from my big & buff lover... a pretty big let-down, LOL.
Grounds - very nicely maintained, and it is a HUGE property so be prepared to do a lot of walking... which is a good thing when you're eating and drinking like a fish. Don't worry they have golf shuttles that you can hop-on anytime or call upon to get you.

INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL CLINIC: Amazing. We had 2 mini-emergencies once we arrived at the resort and luckily the emergency medical clinic is literally a 5 minute cab-ride away. Round-trip was 10 pesos, and the cab driver always waited around till you were done to drive you back to the resort. My daughter had an asthma attack once we arrived at the resort (i forgot to bring her puffers and meds) and my son had an ear infection. We waited maybe 5 minutes to see the doctor, the assessment was $30 pesos and then they gave us the meds on the spot. It's ludacris that the meds cost s: less than $20 for the puffers, the steroids, and they gave us the ear drops for free. Can't say enough about how friendly the doctors were and how fast and efficient they were. They give the receipt on the spot, and I'm going to assume that once we get home, I submit the receipts for reimbursement.

All-in-all, we'd definitely return... the tears from the kids as we were leaving should be reason enough, LOL. (*** bring mosquito repellent, they’re pretty bad at night time!!!!!)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Walters75
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Average beach but dirty, limited shade on beach, have to get up at 5 am to reserve chair under thatch, went to deserted beach next door to get shade, but still heard thumping of the music, complained with no results, in fact the music was louder the next day, but beautiful water, nice pool, nice room, food average
However, if you are looking for peace and quiet this is not the resort to go to, if you looking for a party, this is the place, music blasting all day!!! no breaks on the beach, pool, town, main house, theatre
I had an extremely difficult time finding some quiet place, need a vacation from my vacation!
Will never go back!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bbay99
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I was pleasantly surpised to find Mr Eduardo Maronne to be the new manager of this resort as he was the manager of the Blau Colonial in Cayo Coco 2 years ago where we stayed. He is a very professial director and produced a few small surprises like lobster at the buffet!! and an excellant rock band from Cuba called "Cry Out For". I did suggest however to have the rock band play poolside from 3-5pm as their normall time was from 7-8pm at the theatre when every one was eating.
Please take any complaints about this resort with a grain of salt. Their was one couple I talked to who were very disappointed on a "Tour" they went on. They said all they did was drive from one resort to the other and back again. They felt so ripped off. I asked how much they spent on the tour? They told me 2 pesos each. I Had to laugh because they were'nt on a "Tour", they were on the island resort transit system. A bus that travels from resort to resort on the island picking up touists visiting other resorts or other island destinations.For $100 I would highly recommend the catamaran tour as it absolutly beautiful with a dolphin experience, seal show, Lobster seafood or chicken meal, private beach stop, and snorkeling event where you can see all types fo coloful fish that looked like they had makeup on they were so beautiful. $65 dollars will get you a two dive scuba adventure With alex and his team on a top of the line Dive boat with top notch gear you can meet him pool side mondays and thursdays at 10am for more info. I can't say enough about the service it was top notch. Find the waiters and bartenders that you like in the first couple days there become their friends and they will treat you like kings.The beach is the best I have ever experienced. Iceing sugar soft sand and azure, picture perfect, blue water. If your looking for an isolated island resort to relax and enjoy the beach with out the pressure of peddlers this is the place for you

have a great trip.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank colin f
Amherst, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I am not going to go into every aspect of this resort as it has been done many times. Our overall experience was great. Considering that the resort is only been opened for 4 months; I feel that it is doing very well and will be top notch before long. There are kinks to be ironed out but saw evident changes during our second week. The staff are all very hard working and friendly. Many of the staff members in the management positions, guest relations and bars are experienced staff from other resorts on the island.
We emailed prior and requested a room close to the quiet pool and lobby and buffets and we were accomodated in Block 52. Steps from everything; including the beach and Theatre. We were very happy with this. I was celebrating my birthday so was considered VIP and my DC a-la-cartes were already made and we were invited to a VIP luncheon in the an a-la-carte each week. I had a special dinner with champagne and a baked alaska birthday cake for my celebration. A very nice touch.
Our room was very nice and had everything that was listed on the documents. Unfortunately, not always had facecloths, but have never had them in Cuba before so was no great loss as we come prepared. I do not expect to have my bed linens changed everyday but once a week like at home. Day 8... I discussed it with Guest Relations and it was done before we went to our room after dinner that evening. They looked as they were ironed on the bed. We had turn down service and it was nice to come back to a freshly made bed, towel art, lamps on and air set. We also lost our robes after 1 week and had to request replacement. Our maids did a great job with cleaning and usually by mid morning.
We went to 5 al-a-cartes. We did not eat at the TexMex and Asian but heard great reports on the Asian. Sorry we missed it. The Mediterranean and the Italian were the best. The rooms, service and food were very nice. Our only complaint with the a-la-cartes was that the appetizers are way too large. They were a meal within themselves.
The Buffets were huge. I recommend that you walk around and familiarize yourself with choices and layout. There are the obvious salad bars, breads, soup, pizza, hot buffet selections and grill stations. There is also a lady that makes fresh salads to order by the pasta station and another for rice, fries etc by the fish grill. Not a lot of fries available but supposedly their is a shortage of frozen fries in Cuba at the moment. We also found lots of salad dressings (fresh & bottled), mexican salsa hot sauce, mustards, condiments, vodka & tomato juice (for bloody marys) on the salad bar. They had the largest dessert bar I have ever seen and everything was tasty. They also serve lobster in the buffets once weekly.
The first week at the buffet the dishes, cutlery and glasses were scarce. Seems that 1 dishwasher was mal functioning and they were waiting for a shipment of dishes. The second week there was plenty of everything and it was obvious. Also the second week the trays were replenished more quickly. The wait staff seemed very stressed the first week with table set up but things were much improved the second.
The Theatre is amazing. It is a separate building and is huge. It has 2 bars and enough seating for both sides. The stage is very nice and the entertainment and costumes were beautiful. Of course, the favourite was the show with the Michael Jackson Impersonator. There is also an outside concert here from 7:30-8:30pm. Best shows and costumes I have seen in years. They do need more staff at the bars though.
The bar staff at the pool and lobby are amazing. I can't believe how fast they fill orders and keep a steady pace for such long hours. They really earn their wage.
I discussed the problems at the end of the first week with DC Guest Services. Seems they need more staff, shortage on dishes etc (remedied) and all laundry from all resorts is done at the main laundry facility on the island (sometimes good and sometimes bad). This would explain some of the (aged) towels, robes and bedding. They are expanding the number of resorts so they will definately have to expand the laundry. It was a very informative discussion and changed my aspects of my stay.
I will also be sending a report on to Sunwing. No problems with our flights. They were on time and early leaving on our return. They were comfortable and the meals were very good (1 breakfast and 1 lunch with 2 selections). Their baggage rules are strict but they did not weigh carryons upon return and no overage charges in Cuba in my lineup. We booked the VIP and was very happy with our choice.
Diamond Club was a nice addition to our holiday but not necessary. If you like lobster, extra a-la-cartes, nice beach cots and shade, premium liquors or turn down it is worth it. I, personally can do without so next time I would just book regular mini suite.

Would I return? Not sure. I say this because the resort is too large for us. We never did get to see the Paraiso side. We were only there for a couple of al-a-cartes and to pass through for the Pueblo. It was beautiful and met all of our expectations in the end. It is certainly a 4.5 star resort and with a few finishes and improvements is on its way to a 5 star. We have stayed at 4.5 star rated resorts before and they could not compare to this one. It also has the most magnificent beach I have ever seen. The Pueblo is a very nice bonus. If you do not enjoy this resort you must have very high expectations for your dollar. Compare prices to other 4.5-5 star resorts in Cuba. Must be a good value as there were 6 full buses leaving the Azul side for our return trip and 2 flights 5 min apart departing for Halifax from CSM.
I must add that there were some very rude guests at this resort. A smile, a compliment and manners go a long way. All guests at this resort are Canadian as you have to fly with Sunwing to stay here. Some feel very entitled.
That is the end of my rant.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
20 Thank TequilaNovaScotia
Huntsville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Our group just got back today after a 11 day holiday. Weather was great and the beach was the best that we have experienced in all our travels in Cuba. Very warm to swim in and you can easily walk for over 6 km to the west if you wanted to. The best snorkelling was at the very end of the Azul beach to the east before it changes to the rocky section. No complaints about the rooms at all. We were lucky to all have king sized beds in our rooms. We were located in Building 52 with a view of the small pool. Everything in the rooms worked and the maids did a decent job of cleaning every day. The food was generally okay with everyone able to find something to eat everyday. Lobster is served every Wednesday at lunch in both grills for both sides of the resort. The Italian specially dinner was excellent and we would highly recommend it for a change of scenery from the buffets. It is also air conditioned. The musical entertainment was very good especially some of the groups in front of the theatre before the main shows at 9:30 PM. The theatre is used for both sides of the resort and can hold a huge crowd every night. Overall there was some good shows on most nights. Pools and grounds are well kept and the beach is raked everyday.
This resort is very big and has anywhere from 1200 to 1600 guests there at a time. If you are in a real hurry you will be going to the wrong spot. There is line ups for everything and the buffets are very busy at most times. The staff are trying hard for the most part and we did not have any complaints with them at all. Our only major beef was with fellow tourists running down to the beaches and pools before 7:00 AM to reserve shady spots and then not using them for hours at a time. There is just not enough shade for the vacationers at this resort during our stay and hopefully this will change in the future.
Other items that you will need at this resort are face-clothes , fly dope for night time especially at the outdoor specially dinners, large plastic glasses, lots of sun-screen (not possible to buy at both stores ) and snorkelling gear. You can not get any to use at the nautical centre at all. Diet coke or pepsi is very rare and could be a problem for diabetics if they are expecting to see it at this resort. It is possible you could buy it at the local market but our group did not see it at the spots that we stopped.
If you have a walking disability then I suggest that you request Buildings 51, 52, or 53 as they are close to the theatre, lobby and buffets and the beach. This resort is big and well spread out.
Overall all of our group had a great relaxing vacation and were glad we booked this resort. Just remember to have a little patience and things will be great.

Room Tip: First floor rooms oceanside have for the most part only view of large bushes for most buildings. Sho...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
#5 of 7 in Grand Cul-de-Sac
Colombus Hotel
Colombus Hotel
#7 of 7 in Oyster Pond

Been to Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort? Share your experiences!