“Warning: Very addictive :-)”

Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Ottawa, Canada
“Warning: Very addictive :-)”
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I was at MCSM for one week Oct 1-8. This was my 8th stay there. I still love this resort. I've also tried the Las Dunas and the Barcelo CSM a few times and also enjoyed them very much but I keep coming back to this one. As the previous reviewer said, it is my home away from home. As simple as that. And the staff there are my extended family.

I don't know what else I can say that has not been said in my previous reviews of this wonderful paradise. Grounds are well maintained. This resort has a tropical feel. It's not big which I love. You are never far from anything. The rroms have the best layout and are spacious and clean. You have a safe in it. Nice size balcony which i always enjoy in the afternoon. Good selection of channels for those rainy days. The chambermaids are nice, creative with towel art and very trustworthy.

The pool is clean, there is ample lounge chairs and shade aroud it but you might have to get up early to get the ultimate spot in high season. The pool bar is very good and clean thanks to Osbiel. The beach is breathtaking. I'm a beach walker and this is by far the best area to travel to if you like to walk the beach endlessly and find pockets of deserted beaches. Sand is fine, white and water is turquoise. It can be windy at times with red flags followed by a clam day where the water is like a pool. The water activities are free. Kayaks, hobbie cats, pedal boats, sailing, etc.

The food is good everywhere. You have a good selection of places to eat but they are adding 2 new restaurants in December (Japanese and French) so it will be even better. Love the made in front of you stations at the buffet. Frank or Daniel will make you breaksfast or lunch as you like it. The waiting staff is great. Thanks to Yimi, Yoel, Leticia, Javier for taking always good care of us.

The management and client services are wonderful and approachable and will do their best to make sure you are having a great stay. Bell boys work hard and are always smiling. Bar staff is great everywhere! Love the lobby bar for my cappucino in the morning and for entertainment in the afternoon/evening. Elvis, Walter, Osbel are excellent.

Spa is wonderful and affordable. Massage are so relaxing and so is the aquathermal circuit (free with some packages, ask).

Entertainment team is great, lots of new faces in training but they are in good hands with Lazaro, Ernesto, Lily and Denise! Love you all. Go encourage the dancers by seeing the show in the evenings, they work so hard. The group that performs during the week are excellent. Roberto and Yuslandy are not only graceful but athletes as well! Don't miss the tuesday show called Music World. The beach party is always good fun!

The air transat reps (Raul, Isabelle, Genevieve) are also very pleasant and useful. Go to the information session and don't hesitate to stop by their desk if you have questions.

Thanks Rolando, Yuri, Humbierto for always going above and beyond and making me feel like a princess! :-)

Will keep going back to this resort for as long as I can! I highly recommend it for a relaxing getaway and soon to be family destination!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
7 Thank nadma
YArjona, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 29 October 2010
Dear friend from Ottawa, Canada:

I read with great pleasure your detailed and enthusiastic review regarding your stay at Meliá Cayo Santa María. I really appreciate your nice comments on our facilities, services and most of all our staff. You make us feel that our daily efforts are really worth it since they seem to result in our Guest Satisfaction. I must thank your valuable comments which represent such a good advertisement for our resort and for choosing us among a big repertoire of hotels in the Caribbean.
I’d be delighted to welcome you back in Cayo Santa Maria so you can enjoy your 9th stay among our big family.

Javier Rufino.
Cayo Santa María

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London. Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2010

I am always shocked and saddened when I read such negative reviews about this resort and its employees. I am a repeat guest and will continue to vacation here. The staff are always friendly and not just to me. I see them smiling and greeting people every day. I am a very picky eater and I had no problems finding food to eat. There were always omelets and crepes being made in the mornings and pasta and meat on the grill, if, like me, you like your food hot. I never had to wait for service anywhere. Yes, maybe I do have an advantage as I am well known there by many of the workers and many of them are like my family. Even 2/3 days of dull grey skies and rain didn't dampen the trip. A cloudy day in Cuba is preferable to a nice day at work back home. Maybe, the pool can be loud at times, but they are trying to cater to a large age range of people. Because it was low season, they only had 1 person working in the pool bar, but I watched him walk around the pool repeatedly taking orders for drinks. The maid service was great, my maid is absolutely wonderful and if you needed more drinks in your frig, you need only to ask the guys who deliver them. My frig was always full of what I asked for. Actually, when they didn't have cans of diet cola, they brought me a large bottle. All I can say is that these people are wonderful, happy, so willing to please and make your stay a pleasant one. So, to those of you who think differently, try living on their salaries and see how happy and upbeat you'd be. i have been 10 times and its amazing how many people I see over and over again. We all go because it is a wonderful resort, with a beautiful beach, and we all return because of the wonderful people. So thank you to all of the Melia family for another wonderful vacation.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank gypsyk
Dear friend from London, Ontario, Canada:
I had a great pleasure reading your review regarding your last stay at Meliá Cayo Santa María. I really appreciate your nice comments on our facilities, services and most of all our staff. It feels indeed very rewarding for us to acknowledge how guests are able to appreciate our efforts to achieve their full satisfaction. I must thank you for always choosing us and for taking the time to write this review that certainly reflects our daily work. I just hope future clients take into consideration your comments when choosing the right destination for their next vacation.
I’d be very pleased to welcome you back in Cayo Santa Maria so you can enjoy another wonderful vacation among us.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2010

My husband and I just came back from MCSM last week. This was our 13th trip there. YES 13th. That is how much we love this place. We call MCSM our second home. The resort currently is going thru some renos but that did not put a damper on our vacation. With all of the renovations and two new restaurants being built, MCSM will even become more beautiful than it is now. The beach is breath taking with beautiful white sand and turqouise waters. We are not the ones to complain about food because they offer a variety of things to cater to everyone. You will never go hungry at the resort. The Pizzas at the the Snack bar is amazing - thin crust and very tasty. The beach restaurant has the best Calamari and Red Snapper. I read some reviews from people who seem to complain a lot about the food quality but you do have to keep in mind where the resort is located. They probably get their supplies once a week and they try to accommodate everyone's need to the best of their abiility. The staff at MCSM are impecable - very courteous, caring and loving people. The chambermaids are absolutely amazing. The talent that they exhibit is out of this world. They always leave beautiful things made out of just towels which I don't think anyone of us would even think or dream of. Osbiel at the Pool bar is an amazing guy. He makes amazing drinks and looks after everyone so well. He makes his frequent rounds by the pool to see if everyone is ok with the drinks. Dany by beach Palapa makes the best diet Mojito!!! I willl only drink Mojitos if he makes them... The Guest services department as a whole team is amazing. Rolando and Heriberto are the best. They were always willing to assist with any inquiries you had. They are very courteous and very helpful. Daniel and Frank at the buffet restaurant (Omelette sections) are the best. They will make anything for you if you ask them They don't limit themselves to just eggs. Alexis and Jorge the two best bell boys. Very caring and courteous guys. When we go there, we are treated like family and that is how we treat the staff there - as our friends and family.

Please remember to tip all the hard working staff at MCSM, They do not expect the tips but considering how well they treat us, a peso here and there would not hurt. They only make 20 CUCs a month so try to figure out how diffcult it must be for them just to get day to day things that we most likely take for granted. If anyone plans to go back, please try and take some toiletries, panty hose and make up for the ladies, some childrens clothes, school supplies for the staff at the resort. They would show you nothing but gratitude for your kindness.

For us to go there 13 times says something about what we think of this resort. MCSM is definately Heaven on Earth for me and my husband and we will be visiting our second home again next year. Thanks everyone at the MCSM for making our stay wonderful and memorable as always. See you next year. Love you all and Miss you all very much!

Salima and John Greig

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank sgreig
Dear friend from Toronto, Canada:
I had a great pleasure reading your review regarding your last stay at Meliá Cayo Santa María. I heartily thank your useful and emotive comments on our facilities, services and most of all our staff. It feels indeed very rewarding for us to acknowledge how guests are able to appreciate our efforts to achieve their full satisfaction. I really appreciate your opinions and I hope future clients consider your report as a reliable source of information when choosing the right destination for their next holidays.
I’d be very honoured to welcome you back in Cayo Santa Maria so you can enjoy another wonderful vacation among us.

quebec
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Just came back from vacation with my husband and have to say that this was one of our best trips ever. I would like to give special mention to Patric Loeser and his staff who made this trip especially memorable with all of their courtesy and attention to detail. Exceptional service!

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank demetrioQuebec
Dear friend from Quebec:

I read with pleasure your comments on our facilities, services and, most of all, our staff. It feels indeed very rewarding for us to acknowledge how guests are able to appreciate our efforts to achieve their full satisfaction. I really thank you for the good advertisement your comments represent for our resort.
It will be a great pleasure to welcome you once again in Cayo Santa Maria so you can enjoy another memorable stay among us.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2010

Well were can I begin, after getting to the hotel after a delayed flight we were welcomed with drinks and a dance performance from the entertainment staff. It was brilliant. It was also a lot easier as we did not have to queue up to check in as this was all done for us at the airport.

The room was absolutely fantastic. The room was very clean and spacious, with a massive bed we could have fit the whole coach on there he he he. We have an iron and board which was brilliant cos we didn't need to take one. the bath room was up to date and clean. We had plenty of room for all of our clothes and belongings. The TV also had plenty of English speaking channels, but it was funny watching a favourite programme in another language. We had a couple of rainy days but that didn't stop the fun as the mini bar in the room was stocked up twice a day with the beverages that you chose. (pop and beer)

The food to start off I would like to say a big thank you and a big hello to the omelette chef Frank (The omelette king) Frank would cook me a fresh omelette every day with several ingredients. In the evening there was a large verity of meals to choose from. Which included a verity of meat and fish as well as fresh bread and veg. I would like to take this opportunity to say that the food was NOT bland or boring like some people has said. Also when being waited on there was no language barrier, everything we asked for we received with a smile.

All the staff are brilliant from the maids to management. The bar staff always smiling and couldn't do enough for you. In the middle of the 2 weeks that we where there we were invited to a meeting with the management. They asked if there was any problems or any improvements that needed to be made. The management were very friendly and we did not have any improvements because everything that they are doing was 7* standards and more. We would like to thank ALL the staff at the hotel for making this holiday our best yet and the one to beat in the future.

The pool and the beach were amazing. You could lounge around the pool all day with a little music in the back ground (from the entertainment staff) You could learn the local Cuban dance to aqua aerobics. The pool was clean and the beech was out of this world.

If you want a holiday to just kick back and forget everything for 2 weeks this is the place for you. We have never been so relaxed on a holiday as this. Once again thank you so much to the staff for a holiday OUT OF THIS WORLD.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank gazandhalo
Dear Mr. or Mrs. From Liverpool, United Kingdom:

We deeply thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review regarding your stay in our resort. I really appreciate your compliments concerning our facilities, services and staff. It feels indeed very rewarding for all of us to acknowledge how guests are able to appreciate our efforts to achieve their satisfaction. I must thank your valuable comments that will certainly encourage us keep working and improving our general performance.

I’d be very pleased to welcome you back in Cayo Santa Maria so you can enjoy another relaxing vacation among us.

Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 14 October 2010

Very nice,beautiful resort.Very qiuet(I really liked that).
The rooms are nice and big but with some smell;we had to keep balcony doors open,often.The aircondition worked great and it was quiet(suprise!).Maids were great;did very good job.
The beach is very nice and clean,beautiful water!Was not too busy,too.Which is nice.
Food was very good,I realy like it.We have tried pizza at snack bar and it was great and we also tried medditerian restaurant and it was great experience.The service is great,everybody is very friendly.
There was one issue that I really did not enjoy - we had a lizards in our room.A few of them!Lucky,they stayed in bathroom but I was very uncomfortable with their presence.I called a front desk a first night that we discovered them in our room and they said that they will send somebody to catch them shortly but nobody showed up that night.In the morning maid catched 3 of them but there were others.They said that they are not danger,they dont bite and it is normall to see them in your room!?!?Not very nice experience!
And trip to get to the resort from Toronto is very long.We fly from Toronto to Varadero and than from Varadero to Santa Clara.And than you have to take a bus,and trip is about 1,5 hour loong.It took us 8 hours to get there.But when you go back it is very nice view.

Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kaya0979
Dear Mr. or Mrs. From Niagara Falls, Canada:

I have read with pleasure your review regarding your stay at Meliá Cayo Santa María. I very much appreciate your nice comments on our facilities, services and staff . I understand there are certain issues that require some work, so I must thank your valuable comments, which will help us improve our general performance. Regarding the lizards we should say that we are a natural reserve and as they are harmless animals we always try to protect them and to preserve the environment.
I’d be very pleased to welcome you once again in Cayo Santa Maria so you can enjoy another stay among us.

Kirkland Lake, Canada
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Been to the resort 2 years in a row, and was planning on going again this year,till I read that kids will be there. Was totally bummed.
As a teacher and mom of three. I can say that I loves the resort, no kids, great staff including Elvis of course. Not really sure were to go now... always planned on going back :(
Met great friends who were also march break regs.
Oh well, all good things must come to an end... J&P

Hard for me to rate because I loves it so much! Now it's gone and I'm a little upset!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oosak
Dear Mr./Mrs. From Kirkland Lake, Canada:

I had a great pleasure reading your nice comments on our facilities, services and staff. It feels indeed very rewarding for us to acknowledge how guests are able to appreciate our efforts to achieve their full satisfaction. I would like you to know we are opening Meliá Buena Vista, a new adults only hotel , in a few months, it is located next to us and you will be able to enjoy the services of our resort.
It will be a great pleasure to welcome you once again in Cayo Santa Maria so you can enjoy another wonderful stay among us.

Best Regards,