“I know why they call it ROYAL..ton...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Absolutely fabulous, wonderful time, unbelievable food absolutely 5 star food for anywhere no lie, I must have gained 10 lbs for the week we were there and no buffet just a la carte and if you didn't see it on the menu and they could make it for you they did. The head chef was from Oshawa Ontario if I am not mistaken and the manger (a wonderful lady) is from Drummondville Ontario if memory serves me correctly. So the food was very Canadian. The Chef even told me he had Heinz ketchup coming in for the guests which was a good idea as the so called ketchup in Cuba is nothing like our Canadian favourite. Very quiet as it was an adult only which is what I needed .. a break from the kids. Alex our personal butler was awesome and did everything in his power to make the trip more comfortable for us. We did have an issue with the shower in the room when we arrived but within one and a half hours we were moved into a new room. No issues. There is not much to do there but like I said before that is exactly why I went there. Not sure what else to say except I would definately recommend it over the next door memories.

Room Tip: Just a suggestion for future guests, if you want a covered bed by the pool get up early each morning...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Russell B
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Dear guests:

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. Thank you so much!

Your comments are so important to us. They are the ones who guide us to always choosing the right path for your continued satisfaction. Without you, our little gem would not be what it is today and we could never thank you enough for helping us to bring it to a new level of customer care.

Our reason for living is your happiness dear guests. Every day we focus on one thing and one thing only: your satisfaction. Since everybody has different tastes, it is important for us to know all your favorite details so we can proudly offer them to you.

Thank you very much once again for your generosity. We took much pleasure in reading your opinion and comments.

We sincerely hope to welcome you again to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your paradise in the sun!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,108)

Reviewed 14 March 2013

We stayed at the Royalton the first week of March. We voraciously read all the reviews on TripAdvisor before and after booking and found them all to be true. The resort is tucked between two others, so it's small and easy to get around everywhere. It's not a sprawling area, as some other places we have stayed, but it never feels crowded or too busy.

The rooms
• modern and clean with comfortable beds and pillows
• enough towels (sometimes no washcloths)
• large bathroom amazing rain shower
• Make sure to lock your room in the morning if you want to sleep in, or you and your maid may be in for a surprise ;)

The service
• always service with a smile with tip or no tip
• butlers are always helpful whether to book a dinner, scooter rental, or taxi off the property, or even to bring a bottle of wine/champagne to your room
• you can get anything you ask for. Everyone is happy to accommodate your requests.

The food
• Lobster is plentiful at every dinner
• Burgers at the snack bar are amazing. Have at least one! You won't be disappointed.
• There is a lack of green vegetables with dinner which sometimes comes served with no veggies at all. You won't go hungry, but it's just something to be aware of.
• All wine we had was delicious.
• Breakfast cheese and meats are fabulous.
• Desserts were always great, especially the rice pudding.

The bars/bartenders
• All the drinks are on the strong side, not a problem for most, but just ask them to make them weaker if you desire.
• Yorky and Felix were by far our favorite bartenders and made delicious concoctions for us to savour every night. Seek them out at the Snack Bar. They are wonderful company into the late hours of the night :)

The pool
• on the cool side as people mentioned but if it's a hot day, they are refreshing
• there is always a lounger available. pull one out of the shallow pool water if you have to.
• you can order food from the snack bar to eat by the pool, or snack on food from the bbq grill for lunch

The beach
• definitely the biggest highlight of the trip: turquoise water, powdery white sand
• always a lounger available
• peaceful and quiet (compare it to the neighbouring resorts and you'll be so glad you stayed here)

The disco
• disco is at Pueblo and has a 10CUC cover which will get you 5 beers, or 3 mixed drinks.
• you can walk in with a drink from your hotel
• the crowd comes from the other resorts which helps to it up and keep it from being too dead

Some tips for management
• Offer glasses near the milk at breakfast. we enjoy having a nice big serving of milk, and not just for cereal
• Don't let one visitor buy up all the small $1 or 3 CUC from the receptionists in the lobby.
• Menus don't always describe exactly what you are ordering. Perhaps review the dishes with someone who speaks English very well to ensure accurate descriptions.

We really enjoyed our stay on all accounts. We would like to thank our Sunwing rep for helping my husband out with obtaining medication he forgot at home, much to our relief, and to all the wonderful staff, from the gardeners, the entertainment staff, the servers to the ladies putting fresh flowers in the washrooms, you helped to make our stay extra special. We will happily return to this beautiful resort.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor in Bungalow 7 which was close to the ocean and far enough from the poo...
9  Thank Nutka
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2013

Dear guests:

Thank you so much for your comments. They are so important to us!

We appreciate every comment we receive in order to improve our standards and quality. We make sure to revise every department frequently to insure that we always give our customers the best service and offers they rightly deserve for an unforgettable vacation.

All your comments are duly revised by our Quality Control department.

We hope to welcome you again to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your paradise in the sun!

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Having been to Cuba five years ago, I was extremely reluctant to return, as I was very apprehensive about the ability to communicate with my family while I was away. On the last visit I was unable to text, call or use the internet, because of Cuba's lack of service. So....I booked the vacation with a lot of apprehension, because I really don't like being out of touch with my daughter when she is my only child and she is back home alone.

Anyway..............I was very pleasantly surprised. First of all the Royalton is everything everyone says it is. Small, quaint, new, breathtakingly beautiful beaches and superior rooms.

Big plus at this resort, and I have been to a lot of all inclusives, is that you NEVER had to get up at the crack of dawn to go out and reserve your chairs either at the beach or the pool. Because the resort has limited capacities for people there is more than enough chairs at both locations to accomodate everyone. Great plus.

The staff are wonderful, especially our butler Eny, who was a great guy, and more than willing to do anything for us, and always greet us with a smile.

The food was very good, contrary to all of the reviews that I had read. We met the master chef who is from Whitby, Ontario and let me tell you, he knows how to cook food for Canadians.

It really seems that the resort is listening. Requests for Ketchup, Tabasco Sauce, Mayo, Thai Chili Sauce, and many others are now available at the restaurants to spice up your food as you see fit.

Best of all, there was a cell phone tower, right outside the resort, so service was always available to text, and call with 5 bars of service available all the time. This ability to communicate back home allowed me to relax and enjoy this wonderful resort. My carrier is Telus, and I purchased a package from them before I left that allowed me to text and call home for very reasonable prices. It may seem that this review is about communication, but I am telling you from someone who could not obtain any of this information prior to going down, I was greatly relieved to find it and wanted to make sure it was on the site.

8  Thank Laurie B
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

Dear guests:

We will always surprise you! We are very happy that we were able to break down your aprehensions about coming back to Cuba!

Thank you so much for your comments which were very helpful to us and we're sure for our future guests. As for the celular phone connection, we are glad that you mentionned your provider as unfortunately, this does not work with all cell phones nor providers. Pleake make sure you verify before leaving and most important check the rate of the calls. A direct phone call to Canada from Cuba costs 2.05 CUC per minute.

And you are right, we do listen!! We now have all kinds of different sauces always available for you, set up right there where you can see them in the snack bar Sunset along with all the new different things we try out every day to make sure you enjoy your vacation to the fullest.

Thank you once again for your wonderful and informative comments dear guests, they were very helpful and it warmed our heart that we could make you love Cuba again!

We look forward to welcoming you back at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your hotel always full of surprises!

Reviewed 14 March 2013

We have been back for a week from our week long stay at the Royalton Cayo Santa Maria. This was our first trip to Cuba, having been hesitant for a long time mainly because of the food and the iffy weather.
I will try not to repeat too much of what other reviews have stated...this place is good.

The food: The food was enjoyable and good. We only had one thing that we actually didn't like at all (fish soup - tasted basically like a bowl of dishwater that had some fish rinsed in it - no kidding that's how bad it was - and it was green to boot). We are seafood lovers so this place was awesome in the food department for us. Lobster almost every night, although we were missing the garlic butter to dip it in. The nights they added an oil and garlic topping were the best. We found the steak pretty good as well, some nights better than others. One night I asked them switch up the surf and turf with the Roquefort chicken instead of the steak and they were more than willing. The Rice pudding was soooo good and our favorite dessert.
We enjoyed Senses the most at dinner as it was a bit more upscale. Eggselence was almost always only half full which took away from the ambiance. The snack bar was good BUT my advice here would be for them to try and keep the snack bar actually a snack bar. Waiting over an hour for lunch in a snack bar isn't ok. After the first two days of wasting valuable sun time, we usually opted for just getting the kabobs at the pool bar b que or the beach. I tried to get take out at the snack bar one day which they did, but the food all came out on breakable dinner plates, not exactly beach friendly. I am happy there was no buffets but they just have to get a bit more of a handle on the lunch thing. They are trying and the bar b ques definately help.
Breakfast was best for us at Eggselence as we enjoyed the small buffet that was available to get us started while we waited. An assortment of fruit, breads, buns, cereal, yogurt and a toast machine.
Because of the small size of the resort and the limited dining options the food, while good, does get repetitive. One night we went to the Pueblo and ordered a pizza at the Trattoria just for a change. It was very good. We opted not to eat at Memories due to reviews from other travellers.
Room service was good and prompt, sometimes quicker than ordering in the snack bar.
The thing missing is just snacks, a plate of fries, nachos, cookies, muffins etc available. We have been to resorts that have small coffee shops with sandwiches, cookies, cake etc available all day...this would be a good addition to the Royalton.

Weather: Nothing the resort can do about this one so this is more a review of the area.
The first two days were beautiful and then came day 3. We woke up to pouring rain, cold and wind. It stayed that way all day. Really nothing to do in such an instance. It was also the day we had no water for most of the day. They did bring us a whole case of water bottles so we could flush our toilet, brush our teeth and at least wash. They put out some board games in the Royalton lobby bar. There are no small excursions to do in bad weather which is unfortunate. This is one of those times that your room actually does matter as we spent a fair amount of time in our room reading and watching tv. They also had to close the snack bar because it was so windy and cold and the water situation which created a line up to get into Eggselence,,only line up we had all week. Eventually they opened up Senses which was a fun experience that suited the day. The dinner staff had just showed up and were put into duty with little knowledge of the lunch menu, most things weren't available but we had fun with it. Met some great people enjoying this strange day with us who we ended up hanging out with the rest of the week.
After that the next day was still cool, but we were at least able to back at the pool and beach and the rest of the week was fairly good although probably a little cooler than normal and definately needed a light sweater most evenings.

Staff: This is one area they shine. We have only good things to say about the staff. Friendly, accomodating and always with a smile. If they had to deliver bad news (such as ran out of a food item) or something had gone wrong they were so apologetic. Waiters, bartenders, housekeeping, gardeners and the butlers were all great.

Room: we had a gardenview terrace room only because when we booked the oceanviews were sold out. This was a bit disappointing as I love to wake up to the sight of the ocean, however, I did know this before we arrived. The way you book your rooms here is smart so no surprises when you get there. We were iin Bungalow 7 which is the front row of bungalows. Our view was of mangroves so basically no view. If you were on the ground floor of the 2nd row, you would have a view of the pool, walkways, gardens etc. More private where we were but prettier in the 2nd row. I have included pictures below of the front of our building and our view so you can see for yourself. I've tried to include pictures that have been missing and that I had hoped to see when we were preparing to go. We found the bed very comfortable. I have some back issues which often crop up more on a vacation due to the bed and had no problems here. They brought us extra pillows when requested.

Pueblo: THe pueblo is awesome. Literally a one minute walk from the lobby so easy to wander down it for a diversion every day just to see what is there. The vendors have a good assortment of goods from tacky to quite nice. Wood boxes were my favorite. I loved that you didn't need to barter, and when they said a price if you walked off they didn't chase after you...so different from Mexico and the Dominican. I told a couple of them how refreshing it was. It allowed you to look at everything and then buy where you wanted. We found the prices very reasonable.

Entertainment: Every night at dinner there is a live band in each of the restaurants and afterwards one as well in the lobby. Understated entertainment but always very good. We missed out on the Synchronized swimming show as that was the cold and rainy day...I wish they had of put it on another night for us as we really wanted to see it.
We wandered over to the theatre at Memories one night for the Cuban show and..............well lets just say we didn't make it through the whole thing and my husband actually fell asleep...it was not good.
They do have a carnival in the Pueblo on Monday nights. You have to pay for it but it was fun and something different. It's open bar and food, two great live bands, a parade and fireworks. We left just before midnight and the fireworks hadn't happened yet so I was disappointed. I think they should do them in between the two bands.

Our first trip to Cuba was definately a success. A 5 star, adults only is probably the only way we would do it. The beach was the most beautiful we have ever been to. The Royalton definately has the best beachfront along the whole cayo. The food was good and neither of us had any tummy upset (although we did take Dukoral before leaving). We enjoyed the quiet of this resort especially after doing a very busy vacation in the fall. Generally we like to do at least one excursion and while there were a few available they all needed a significant amount of travel time because of the location of Cayo Santa Maria which we just weren't willing to do....our own personal choice. If we go back to Cuba I would probably like to stay somewhere where Havana was a more doable excursion.
While we tend to always go somewhere new, I would definately recommend the Royalton.

12  Thank SharonSOntario

Dear guests:

Wow, a Contributor and 5 stars!!!Who could ask for more!!! Thank you for your generosity and great details, and what details!!! We are certain many people will enjoy reading your comments as we did!

Oh, we do not have any more fish soup!! Some things just don't work!! We have made many changes to our menus since your visit and they are spectacular! The Senses restaurant is still as upscale as it was before, isn't it gorgeous?

That fateful Saturday you describe caught us all by surprise! Total hurricane weather!! We couldn't be happier that it lasted only a day and that we could go back to normal right the next day. For your information, we also now have sandwiches at both pools, a BBQ at the lower pool and we go on with the skewers and burritos at the beach! This has loosened up the snack bar much and waiting is less every day so you can enjoy every minute of our beautiful sun!

We are proud that we made your first trip to Cuba special! Especially to hear that you will return!! Thank you so very much for having taken the time to write such informative and detailed comments. They are very important and useful to us.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

My husband and I spent two weeks at the Royalton from Feb 24-March 10. The beach, pools, rooms, butlers (Lionel and Roberto) wait staff and entertainment were all excellent.
We had some issues with our room on arrival, and Lionel insisted that we move to another room in the same building. Both rooms were on the second floor, so we could see over the tree tops to the ocean.(Even from our shower in the bathroom)
The food was mostly good, but very repetitive. There were more vegetables, bacon etc the second week, but never butter. They roasted two small pigs near the Sunset grill one afternoon that were excellent. The young man bbqing at the pool every day did an excellent job, although I was a bit concerned about the food sitting out in the hot sun for a few hours every afternoon. (They did build him a little more shelter the second week)
We did have rain and high winds on the Saturday mid trip. They were not prepared to deal with the lose of the use of the Sunset grill for breakfast or lunch. Again Lionel came to the rescue with room service for breakfast.(We heard that others were not so lucky)
Lunch was a little more frustrating, as there were long waits to even get into the Eggselence.
Julie (the manager) assured us that this was the first time that they had had to deal with this circumstance and needed to learn from that experience.
The Senses Restaurant was cozy and the food the best.
The bar service at both the pools and the beach was excellent.

We did have a couple of times when water was not available, and hot water appeared to be available from about 7:30 am till 8:30 pm every day.
Sandra our maid worked very hard to make our home away from home feel comfy.We even had face cloths in our room one day. The bedding was clean, but the towels in the rooms as well as the pools looked like they were far older than 2-3 months. I wondered if they had come from another resort. We know that other items on the site are being added as they arrived. (Curtains for the beds at the upper pool, and better lounges around the pools the last day we were there)
The musicians and entertainment people were all very talented, and we enjoyed listening to all of them. The last night we were there, we luckily got to see the synchronized swimming show.
We have both visited all inclusive's in Cuba, Dominican, Jamacia, and Aruba. this resort provided us with excellent value, and an enjoyable holiday.
We are already thinking of returning in the fall.
Lastly, we met and enjoyed the company of many Canadians, some that we plan to remain in touch with

Room Tip: Bring insulated cups as the drink cups at the pools are very small. (Easier on the wait staff and t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank beachy026

Dear guests:

Thank you so much for your comments! They are very generous and so helpful to us!

As you may have noticed, we read and answer each and every comment we receive. We figure that if you take the time to write them, we certainly will return the favor and answer them back!

Your comments are the key to our success. We follow them religiously as they are our source of inspiration to always work on making our little gem a better place for you dear guests, as we know that your vacation is hard-earned and we want to offer you nothing but the best, as you surely deserve it!

We very much appreciate you sharing your opinion with us.

We look forward to welcoming you once again to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your relaxing and beautiful hotel!

Reviewed 12 March 2013

Trip to Cuba Royalton Cayo Santa Maria at March 2. 2013 to March 9.2013.We went to this resort with two other couples for a holiday. This resort is very new and recently open. Rooms are very nice and modern also very clean. We were welcomed at the airport by a Sunwing tour guide and at the resort by our butler Frank. He explained to us where our room is, where to go for food, how to get to the beach, etc. The first impression in the lobby of this hotel make you feel so good and right away we knew that we will have a great time here at this Royalton resort.
Resort
Well-kept and close to ocean, 2 min walk. Gardens in great shape and maintained daily.
Restaurants.
As trip advisor people say, it is true is there is only few restaurants: but the service and food is absolutely phenomenal. Staff at the restaurants are great and serve you with smile all the time. If there is a complaint about the food or no buffet, these kind of people should stay home or go to the resort where the buffet is!!! We went to this resort because the great reviews on the Trip Advisor and the truth is: IT IS THE BEST RESORT IN CUBA. The breakfast food was very good and tasty you can go to snack bar and order all you can wish. The Senses restaurant we had a server name Dayan and head waitress Yanet, where our Butler Frank made reservation for us every day. That was great and easy the food at this restaurant was so great that we ate there every night. When we order our food it was served warm and with a smile, also the taste was incredible. We also had food every day in snack bar by the pool Shrimps, Calamari, smoked salmon Beef, best burgers (The Royalton) and all served with a personal touch. Tatiana was very funny and very great with us. Also bartender Yorky, a very great personality and made the best espresso & Spanish coffee. All these people work 6 days a week for very little pay. So every tip makes a difference for them in daily life. As we have experienced, this is a five star resort. The beach is very nice and not too crowded, the only down on this is the weather which is unpredictable in Cuba, which we can't change. Our week in Cuba was cooler than average, but not bad .Yasmany beach bartender made our stay on the beach such a pleasant experience with great service of cold drinks to our satisfaction. .Also the pool is colder than we would like it to be and may discourage people from use of pool, (pools are not heated, most likely cool due to cooler weather). Some people may be surprised there is no internet at this resort, if you need this service stay home & continue working or go to next door to Memories and use it. We all had a great time a have to say that we would go back at any time. This is a holiday you should experience. Many people at this resort were saying they would return without a doubt.

Room Tip: Be your self and have a great time .Higher floor is better for view of the ocean.
7  Thank Ceskezlato
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear guests :

We appreciate your comments very much! Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us!

Your comments are the key to our success. They are our guide to our success! Our little gem would not be what it is today without you dear guests and we could never thank you enough for that. We carefully read and analyze all of your comments for your utmost satisfaction. If something is not up to your liking we simply change it or make it better! That’s our philosophy!

Thank you once again dear guests for your beautiful comments. You help us make the difference.

We hope to welcome you again to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your great and best resort!

Reviewed 12 March 2013

We have just returned from our holiday in Cuba at this property. It was absolutely fabulous . Nothing was missing. Some people complained there no availability of internet, however, was accessible at Memories next door. Keep in mind it is a 18+ resort, so you don't get the groups of drunken parties as much as you may at other resorts. The sister resorts Memories next door offer the entertainment and rowdiness if that is what you are looking for.
This property offers ultimate relaxation, surrounded by meandering manicured gardens. The rooms are very modern and ultra clean. Beach towels and loungers by the pool/beach are always available. While lying by the pool you are serenaded by soft music playing in the "rock" speakers" strategically positioned among the gardens. The pools are not heated.
The beach is absolutely beautiful and never ending.
Bars offer premium alcohol in unlimited quantity.
Each room has a butler who will arrange dinner reservations, outings, phone calls and tend to any matters which you may need.
Restaurants were fabulous , with delicious food. Very tasty and a variety of dishes to choose from. Although not buffet, the snack bar restaurant by the pool is probably the fastest during the day. Staff will bring your food pool side. Staff even offered shish-ka-bobs pools side so you don't even have to get up from your lounger! Always smiling and happy to be there for you.
Nightlife, minimal. Go to Memories next door or the disco in the Pueblo for nightlife.
In summary, it was a very relaxing vacation and this property highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank Iriegirlontario

Dear guests:

Thank you for your comments. They are very important to us to always improve on our product and services. Our goal is to give you a vacation that you will remember forever, and that will make you feel right at home, away from home.

Your review describes us perfectly! We couldn't have done it better! You are right on the spot and were able to capture exactly what we are all about!

You will be happy (or not!) to know that we have Internet. The hotel was not supposed to offer the service but the demand was so intense that we tried to establish it as soon as we could. It is at a cost of 12 CUC per hour and it is VERY SLOW!!!! Many web sites like Facebook do not open. Also, it is available on a computer in reception and WIFI is NOT available. After all, as you say…it is a vacation!!

Thank you for your beautiful review dear guests. It is well and softly written and we much enjoyed reading it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your heartfelt hotel!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
Valentin Perla Blanca
#9 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
226.2 km away
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa

Been to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!