“AMAZING TIME”
Review of Melia Las Dunas

Melia Las Dunas
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This was our first time in Cuba and i was very impressed with our decision. We got in late, around 8:00pm on April 12th and as soon as we got off the airplane and through customs our bus was waiting for us with all of our room keys and information so we could go straight to our rooms once we got there after the hour and a half bus trip without having to wait to check in. It is a Big Resort but very beautiful. Very well manicured and they have people driving around all the time to take you back to your rooms in the carts if you get tired of walking.
The rooms were nice and air conditioned and overall very comfy. We were only in the rooms to sleep as there is so much to do and see. The fridge was always stocked each day and the guys who do it were very friendly and are good people to get to know!!
The beach is ABSOLUTELY amazing!! Beautiful Sand, beautiful water with no rocks or seaweed and all sand very far out!! We spent most of our trip on the beach as it was so beautiful.
The food was okay. There are two buffet restaurants as well as a 24 hour Cantina and 5 al la cart restaurants so there is always something to choose from. There is also a Pizzeria by the Family pool.
The lobby is nice and open, the bartenders are busy with all the people so it may take a little while to get a drink but a little hint.. go to the sports bar by the theatre right by the lobby. Orlando works there and was one of the most amazing bartenders not only in Cuba but in Canada as well. I would finish a beer, turn around to say something to someone and after a few seconds i would have a new drink magically before me without me even having to ask. He is a great credit to the resort and made the trip that much more enjoyable.
The grounds are beautiful which is a great testament to the Gardeners. Perhaps the nicest person we met the whole trip was one of the gardeners Frank!!! he was so nice and polite. Each Day he would give my girlfriend a fresh flower for her hair and always said hello. He also makes these beautiful grasshoppers and fish out of the leaves and they are an amazing piece of art and were one of the best things we brought back from Cuba. If you go to this resort say hello to him. Also Please tip him as he is out in the hot sun ALL day making the place as beautiful as it is. His hospitality and general friendship is a huge factor in us coming back to the resort!!!
For a good excursion try the Catamaran. Definitely worth it!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DKCMToronto
ResidentManagerMLD, Manager at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

Thank you.DKCMToronto.

We have read your review with regards to your recent holiday experinece in Melia Las Dunas and Cayo Santa Maria.

We do appreciate the positive remarks you made about our staff member ORLANDO at the bar and your overall positive experience with the hotel during the week ..
I really thank you taking the time to write these valuable comments which certainly may contribute to the good advertisement of our resort and which will help future clients to find the right destination for their next holidays.

I’d be very honored to welcome you once again in Cayo Santa Maria so you can enjoy another fabulous stay among us.

Manegement

There are newer reviews for Melia Las Dunas

Reviewed 23 April 2012

A beautiful resort! Great food and a vast choice of restaurants, all of them with great food and service. Our room was overlooking the ocean and a very peaceful balcony we had to relax and take in our beautiful surroundings. We do recommend the balcony because rooms on the ground floor have blocked views because of the lush plants so if you want a view go up to a balcony room. The beach is absoutely beautiful and clean and vast for miles of walking on white sand. The only drawback is all the walking one must do to get to restaurants and to the core of the resort. But if you have a little patience you can call for a pickup and a cart will come for you. We took a day trip to nearby towns and to the cigar factory which really opened our eyes on the plight of the people here. They do not make much money and must sometimes travel great distances to work at our resort. They are beautiful people these Cubans if you get to know them and ask about their lives...our greatest reward for a wonderful week. We brought a suitcase full of items to leave for those who served us so well....clothes, shoes, skipping ropes for the kids, hair brushes, etc. items not available to them but just taken for granted by us. The resort comes highly recommended. Not all is perfect but for a wonderful peaceful vacataion, consider this resort. Don't forget to try the paninis on the beach! TIPS are accepted with appreciation so help the locals out by giving some of your abundance to the those who struggle to live.

Room Tip: If you can go for the balcony oceanfront. We booked a regular room and upgraded for far less dollar...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank jochand

Hi dear Jochand.
Thank you very much for your review, and for letting us know about your experience in Meliá Las Dunas.

It is really a pleasure to receive such a positives comments about our work. We will let our staff know about your opinion, which is very important for our daily performance.
Is great to know you have left our hotel happy and satisfied, that’s the main objective of our staff. For sure we will let them know about your review. Meliá Las Dunas family will love to have you back in your next visit to the Cayo Snt. Maria.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

At first I could not understand the bad reviews because we were very satisfied with the reception. Even though Tour Mont Royal Agency made us wait on the bus for 45 minutes for people stuck at the customs. (you will see later why this point is important). We got the room I had asked for, second floor next to the spa. Within 10 minutes of arriving, we were in our room after being instructed by the man at the reception to ask the bellboy to take us and our luggage to our room. Please do exactly that, this way you won't be walking around for an hour like people I we have met, especially if you arrive at nighttime.
BASIC ROOM:
is simple, but nice. The bed was excellent but had only one tiny pillow. Towels were changed regularly, fridge was packed every day with beers, colas and one big bottle of water. We managed to fix the curtains that were undone to get more shade. Every time I asked the customer service for something they were swift to get us what we needed. Air conditioning fine. TV fine. Plenty of pressure and hot water.
THE FOOD:
Surprisingly good. Everywhere great variety. Both buffets were good, although I liked the smaller one with cooler air and dim lights.
Lunch at the Ranchon by the beach very good. My husband would get a fish or a half chicken grilled along with shrimps. For myself I would get the chicken brochette with fries or a fish fillet both from the menu. Small buffet there too with good rice and salads.
We did get some chicken nuggets at the beer garden with fries available 24h!
Paninis or hamburgers ON the beach!
The a la carte were all good. better than the Melia Cayo Santa Maria. Only the hostess at the Sea food (lunch Ranchon) was really really impolite. When I asked her to sit at a free table near the breeze she nagged and rolled her eyes. Wanted me to sit next to the restrooms...but the waiter made up for it by bringing a bottle of mousseux complimentary for my birthday.
Ice cream parlor, 2 other snack bars by the pools, you won't die of hunger at this resort! Thank god it is big for walking is excellent for digestion.
RESORT
Bid, huge resort, but there is many golf carts going around ans you can call one anytime. beautiful grounds, great musicians playing in the evening at the square around 8pm.
the evening shows were soso but I only caught a couple since we like to go to bed early. Great resort for families, I really planned to come back with my kids next time.
You can see some people take great pride in their work: poll chairs lined up to the perfection, clean pool, grounds, all the people that don't get tipped do a good job...
BARS:
Lobby bar is good for cappucinos. Beach bars very efficient but should be more friendly, all of them.
SPA:
Great spa, great massages from Raissa or Milady. DO the spa, it s an order!
BEACH:
WOW, best beach. You can see in my pictures it can be quiet and turquoise or windy and lots of waves. Goods times. Plenty of shade, anytime. Don't need to get up early, I got a palapa at 10am one morning. Teh rest of the time I would go at 8:30 and get one.
THE BAD BAD BAD ending to my stay:
Since we were supposed to catch a flight at 10pm, we decided to keep the room until 4:30pm for 7 pesos an hour. My husband paid for exactly that, but when we went to the room to get our luggage at 4:05pm ours keys did not work!!! Please remember we were at the far end of the resort. We had the security guys who just happened to be there call the resception. We were told to go back and get the key reprogrammed. 20 minutes walk to and from the reception, plus the arguing with the lady that our room was paid until 4:30pm but she said it was IMPOSSIBLE since they rent by the hour....So 30 minutes later we are trowing our luggage out of the room. We were told to call for the cart, we did and no one came! By the time I got to the lobby, out of breath, sweaty and barely containing my tears, the TMR bus was GONE. 5 minutes late with 2 tourists missing from their list, 90 minutes away from the airport, with 5 hours to go before the plane leaves, they left us there! Thank god the bus driver for Transat took us in (only after seing me cry). The young guide girl was really helpful, I have to say. When we got to the airport, I found the TMR agent sitting on a bench picking his nose. I asked him why he did not wait for us, he lied saying they left at 5:15pm. Next to him the Transat agent who took us on his bus also lied to cover up for his fellow agent Luis Alberto (or is it Roberto?).
There is a lack of professionalism at the front desk and at the clientele service because they are partly responsible for this fiasco: locking us out of our room when we are suppose to catch a bus to leave the island, not sending the cart (we checked: they did not call the bellboy), not telling our agent we were locked out when they were asked about us by the agent. For this I will forever have a bad taste in my mouth when I think about the time I spent at Las Dunas.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mariki3
ResidentManagerMLD, Manager at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Valued Guest.
Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience at our hotel. However I would ask a big apology for the inconvenience to his departure caused by the regulations we have in question to check out times and late check-out.
We really appreciate such positive feedback in question to our services in restaurants and variety of food.
We look forward to your visit next year. to remove this bad taste in mouth.

Management

Reviewed 23 April 2012

If you are considering this hotel with small children, it is very large, too big actually, you'd be better off staying at a smaller resort where things are more accessible.
Our first night we had a giant palmetto bug ( about the size of my 5 yr old's hand) in our room. Our last night we had a lizard in room, i called front desk for that one & after being told someone would come to remove it, no one showed up. Very disappointed in that service. We had no toilet paper until 3pm one day, for 4 ppl they leave only 1 roll a day, whether it is enough for you or not & we tipped the maid very generously daily. (not worth of 4.5* service in my opinion).
Be advised not to go tocuba in march or april as that is the "windy season". the beach was red flag, water sports were suspended for 4 out of our 7 days stay. you could not stay on the beach as the wind whipped sand at you & stung like a slap. Apparently this is expected along the entire north coast of cuba durning march & april.

Now the good: the food was very good, the buffet had everything, grill station with beef, pork, chicken & varous condiments like salsa, A1 steak sauce, HP sauce, etc. they had a seafood/ fish grill where you could have tuna steaks, fresh prawns, other fish. They had a pasta station, with 3 types of sauce & made to order sauce. They had a carving station, with whole turkey, roast beef etc. Lots of cold cuts & seafood salads. They always had 2 kinds of soup & a sushi chef preparing made to order sushi.
We ate at 2 a la cartes, the seafood & the italian, both were very good.
The lunch buffet by the beach was very good, they lways had the bbq going & you could order off a menu aswell, my son ordered chicken skewers & they were actually marinated chicken & quite flavourful. I ordered steak & it came with a delicious gravy on top, very tasty aswell.

The kids loved the mini club pool & the wading pool. always had cuban music playing which was great. The mini disco at 8:30 pm in the square was ridiculously cute! even if you don't have kids you'd want to see the littles dance to the music, so cute!

The beach turned pictutre perfect on our last 2 days, calm, warm crystal clear water, that gradually gets deeper, very safe for little ones when it is calm. The resort is beautiful, very well manicured, beautiful flowers everywhere you look. the lobby is huge, you can always find a seat in the evening to enjoy the music & a drink. the lobby also has fantastic espresso!

The beach is huge, you can always find shade under a beach hut, there are so many of them. shade is also not a problem at the pool. tons of empty chairs at both the pool and beach.

Despite all the bad it was still a great holiday & we will most definitely return to melia las dunas.

Room Tip: request a second floor room!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank jlogozzo

Dear Jlogozzo.

I would like to thank you for sharing with us your opinions about your stay in our Hotel, it really helps to improve our daily work.
We will check very carefully all the details you are writing in your review, concerning the problem with the lizar in you romm you must know it was an eventual situation.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

this was my first stay at this hotel and first time visiting this party of cuba. the hotel was much nicer than and much better kept than i expected it to be for cuba! however, i have stayed in many hotels in north america and would definitely not rate this a 4.5 stars as it says on the website. it would be a 3 star at best!

the good/okay points about this resort:
-staff was very friendly (in the buffets, restaurants, stores, bars, pools, especially at the customer service desk, everywhere!) they were even more friendly if you tipped them which sometimes they seemes to expect a tip for every single service, but most of them work hard and deserve it, so i didnt mind giving them the tip
-the beach was beautiful (although sometimes a little dirty with drink cups and sand bugs) still beautiful white sands with clear blue water that could have you walk for hours along the beach enjoying the beautiful scenery!
-the bars also had great service especially the beach and pool bars which put alot of alcohol in them (which i was expecting to have not much since its all inclusive i thought they would cheap out on the alcohol but it was welcomed surprise as we drank most of them time)
-the rooms were very spacious and well lit
-the pools very beautiful!! both the family and the adult pools were picturesk and gorgeous!!! very clean and well kept (except the chairs which were covered in bird droppings) but nonetheless still my favourite part of the resort!!!
-th grounds were gorgeous!! covered with many colourful beautiful flowers and the gardeners were always very friendly!!!
-the golf carts were also a very welcome service, although you felt compelled to tip each time, they were sometimes needed as the resort was quite large!
-the market on the resort was also a great feature, with many vendors and shops to buy jewellery or souveniors from!
-the bathrooms off the lobby and the pool were always kept soo nicely and had beautiful fresh flowers every day which added a great touch to them! and there were maids all the time who were very friendly and worked hard!
-the ice creamery was also excellent and had great new flavours every day! with many toppings which was nice.

the bad/not soo good points about this resort:
-the staff at the reception/front desk has the rudest employees on the entire resort, if not the entire island!! they are rude, and unconsiderate and do not have any people skills what so ever!! they need to be better trained to deal with the customers!!!
-upon checkin there was a massive confusion with our rooms and we had to fight and scream most of our first day there inorder to finally get what we originally asked for! this could have been much better dealt with and would not have happened in a north american hotel!!! although, the staff at the front desk was very rude and did not make a good start to our trip the manger did his to try to accomodate our needs and it was much appreciated as you could tell he really works hard to make his guest happy! it just a same that his reception do not do the same thing!!!!
- the rooms although very spacious, could have been cleaner! the maids work very hard and do their best which you can tell by speaking with them and seeing them do their work but it seemed to difficult to get something simple as towels and facecloths and when brought the larger bath towels were stained and dirty! and even toilet paper was hard to come by as they only brought one role per day which wasnt enough for my family per day! also their was mould or water stains on some of the walls and in the bathroom!
-on serval occasions during our stay we were welcomed with lizards in our room on the wall and ceiling! although we stayed on the second floor, there were lizards in our rooms and in the hall ways as well as bugs and other insects covering the hallways and stairwells!!
-although there was a vast variety of food at the buffets, the quality of the food was not very good! esp the meat which was very tough and a low grade!! there was not a great variety of fruits and vegetables (as the only veggies they had appeared to be frozen and the boiled) the food was bland and usually tastless and required a lot of salt on it for taste! black pepper was also hard to come by at the buffets! the tables were sometimes dirty and the utensils as well!
-the a la carte restaurants were decorated very nicely and gave a great sense of atmosphere and the food was much better than at the buffets, but was still not up to my standards of what good food should taste like!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ndadan

Dear ,ndadan

We do appreciate your comments as it will contribute to elevate the qulaity of services we offer but would have loved to hear them from you while you were still resident in our friendly hotel. That way, we are certain that we would have taken the necessary measures to rectify the situation in question and you would have left the hotel with a different image as a whole.

It will be a pleasure to receive you again.

My best regards,

Reviewed 18 April 2012

On March 7th our son was married in Cuba.I would like to say Thank You to Maria Elenna for making there special day one to remember(she did an excellent job and took care of every detail).The resort is very big and can be a little hard to get around but it is a good way to burn off some calories.The grounds are beautiful and very well keep,clean with nice wide pathways.
The pools are very nice and big with lots of activities for young and old,they clean and lots of chairs in the sun and shade.The beach is beautiful white sand and the water is clear sometimes calm,sometimes waves,it all depends on the wind.
We have been to cuba before and found the buffets and a la carts to be very good,with lots of choice, so even the picky eaters can find something.We lunched at the beer garden and the fish and chips and the fryed chicken were always good choices.The pizza in the buffets and at the pizza hut were also very good,the kids loved them.
The waiters,waitresses,bartenders,maids and gardeners were all very,very nice,it is a big resort and they are very busy but would always take time to say hello and answer any questions that we had......Would I return ...YES...would I recomment this resort,,YES..It is a great choice .........

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank sweeper_ron

Dear Sweeper_ron

We thank you immensely for taking the time to share your detailed experience with others and for your nice comments about our resort, food, and service.

It is very satisfactory to know that we became the scenery of such a unique occasion in your life. Congratulations! And we look forward to celebrating with you many romantic future celebrations ahead.

I am overjoyed to read that your visit to Melia Las Dunas was a dream trip and that our staff made you feel welcomed and loved. We will keep on working hard to provide the best of all ourselves. Our goal is always to exceed our guests´ expectations.

Gracias.
Management

Reviewed 17 April 2012

I've been to Cuba many times; did Varadero several times, Cayo Coco once and this was my first time in Santa Maria where I will keep on coming back. The beach ????? WOOOOOOW !

Fisrtly, I traveled with Air Canada for the first time and the flight to & from Cuba was extraordinary. The service was beyond excellent; polite & courteous crew always making sure you were comfortable and well taken care of.

Bus Ride to the Hotel:
Yes it is long but I arrived during the day, It went by so fast because the bus ride in itself is a guided tour. We were entertained to and from as well as given information about the cities we drove through, the people's way of living as well as who & why the cities were named.

The Hotel:

Check-in was quick & extremely well organized. Within a 1/2 hour, I was in my room. The staff at the reception are courteous, polite and always ready to help you. All that for 1 peso.

The bad:

Unfortunately, my room was not clean. I can live with old expecially since this is a third world country but I need cleanliness which lacked throughout my 2 week stay, even though I left money or gifts on the pillow each day. I removed the bedspreads, folded them and put them on a chair where they stayed for my 2 week stay. They were extremely filthy. Thankfully, I traveled alone this time so I stripped the 2nd bed & used all the sheets on my bed. The sheets are old; stained with paint, sometimes torn but they were acceptably clean. Bring bedbug spray for the mattresses are very, very, very old, stained and .... I must admit that they were comfortable. Pillows ? Well .... spray those also & ask for 2 pillows cases.

The food:

Something for everyone. I'm a picky eater but I could always find something to satisfy my hunger. Be patient ! And tip the cooks. Don't forget the chef's when they come out and walk in the dinning room which is rare. The waiters don't share their tips. You must keep and open mind when you travel to Cuba & your trip is what you make it. Wise advise; be calm, patient and respectful as you would like to be treated.

The tips:

Not necessary but greatly appreciated from everyone. They just love the small Hot Wheels cars, soap, matches, lighters, face cloths, your coffee mugs, clothes pins, socks, I usually bring clothes that I know I won't wear anymore and leave them. They need good shoes. Our shoes that we don't feel like wearing anymore are treasured shoes for them. Any type of makeup, nylons, flashlights that you can find at the dollar store, coloring books, coloring pencils,fresbies. Don't forget to spread the wealth. The ladies cleaning the toilets SHOULD be tipped frequently. The grounds keepers are proud of their excellent work even though they work under the hot sun all day. They are VERY appreciative of anything you give them.

The beach:

OH WOW !!!!!! OH WOOOOW !!!! Sandy, clear, clean and, you can walk for kilometers & kilometers & kilometers. The sun rises around 7:15. It's something to see. This is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. I've been to different places; Punta Cana, Romana, Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Bahamas, Jamaica. Will definitely go back because the beach and cleanliness are THE most important things for me. I just won't go back to this hotel even though the staff was more than EXTRAORDIRY. The lack of cleanliness just turned me off.

The bad:

The fighting for shade. Some tourists had to get security guards and the police to settle chair in the shade stealing. I would reserve my chair early in the morning go for breakfast & come right back. There was never a problem but some tourists left their reserved chairs for hours & hours & hours. They would come back to their chair around 4pm. Not very respecfful or thoughtful. Can't figure the people who do that.

The ugly:

I came face to face with a big, fat, juicy RAT .... yes RAT upon my climbing the stairs to go to my room after dinner. Thankfully, I was leaving in 2 days. I warned the service desk & rat dogs wandered around for a couple of days to try and catch them. RAT DOGS ??? Yup ! The cats are to frail and not big enough to catch rats.

Last but not least .... paid WAY to much for what this hotel is worth.

It is definitely NOT a 4 or 4+ hotel. I would rate it no more than a 3 star hotel.

Just one last word. PLEASE DO NOT tip with canadian change; quarters, loonies, toonies. They throw that money away since they can't do anything with it. I had canadian paper money and came back with 60 $ worth of quarters, loonies & toonies. I would be offended being tipped that way. Wouldn't you ?

When you get off the plane, grab your suitcase and ask where the bank is. You have more than enough time to exchange your money to the CUC pesos. AND, it is cheaper to change your money at the airport. You will therefore be ready to tip in the right manner.

Room Tip: Since this is an extremely big resort divided in 2, specify if you prefer the family side or the res...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank Jacinthe50

Dear Jacintheso.

Thank you for your comments, the good the bad and the ugly. It is always good to know that is what we are doing right or wrong.
as you mention this is a very large hotel and the beach too, it is always good to have a shadow, but we cannot guarantee for all.
in his commentary of the food so good you always found at least a opccion to meet their meals.
the theme of the rat, have to understand that we are in a natural reserve difficult keep rodents out of natural areas, even that we have cleaning and fumigation and programs and also some cats... always these native animals of the dunes are sometimes in view of our customers. We work strong to keep them out of the areas of consumption.
We hope the next visit is better imprecion that takes from our hotel.
sincerely