“Good food, but nothing special, and quite expensive”
Review of Keys Dining

Keys Dining
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Hay River
Price range: US$8 - US$31
Reviewed August 17, 2016

Hay River is a wonderful community. We needed a spot for breakfast, and two days later for lunch while camping and travelling in the area. The restaurant in the side of the atrium of the hotel could be in any city of North America: high ceiling, large TV, no windows, made you (sadly) forget the amazing town where we were. Our first meal was a breakfast, I must say the young man who served us was really sweet. I did enjoy my breakfast of yogourt and fruit, cereal and toasted bagel. My only concern was that the fruit was cantaloupe, nothing else. I would have rather have Saskatoon berries or blueberries (which do grow locally), or even a few slices of apple or bananas. We came back for lunch, hoping to see the Olympics on the large TV, but unfortunately the news were on, but not on the Olympic network, and we were not offered opportunity to switch the channel (but then again, we didn't specifically ask!). I had the lunch special of pea soup - tasted home made! and the Philly steak sandwich which was good, with lots of green peppers and melted cheese sauce. Mike had the beef au jus sandwich with fries, and it was good also. I asked to see dessert menu, which had the standard cheese cakes, chocolate fudge cake desserts - typical from the 'frozen companies', nothing seemed local, nothing fresh. Prices for desserts alone were in the $12-$15 price range. I would have been so happy with a simple bread pudding with berries! All in all, good food and service, but very pricey, and nothing local. Oh, and one last detail, there was WiFi, but you had to pay; when you pay that much for a meal, you should get a bit of free WiFi.

Reviewed August 1, 2016 via mobile

We ended up eating at this restaurant for three consecutive mornings in a row. Their at day we ordered breakfast from the menu. The servings were huge, hot and delicious. The second day they offered a small buffet that was hot and fresh and the last day they offered a full Sunday brunch buffet that was worth every penny. Everything was so tasty. I would definitely recommend this place to eat.

Reviewed July 25, 2016

Wife and I had an enjoyable dinner here . We arrived about 30 minutes before they closed but we're afforded good service by both our server and the hostess. Never felt hurried. Reasonable prices and decent wine and dessert offerings.

Reviewed May 1, 2016 via mobile

The Ptarmigan team with Danny always do a great presentation and food. It seems a little pricey but you pay for what you get. Try the prime rib or the deep fried battered locally caught white fish from Great Salve Lake.

Reviewed April 25, 2016

The food is okay but nothing to wow you. The prices are pretty expensive but that's what you pay in the north. They do an okay burger and salad but that's about it.