All reviews sorbet beautiful beach beach service our honeymoon maunday's bay cold towels beach attendants every morning spice restaurant luxury room beach chairs continental breakfast bottled water star resort private patio rum punch sunset cruise
Reviewed January 19, 2016 via mobile

The beach is hard to describe properly , the granularity of the sand ,the color of the water , the secluded feeling..
We had the luck to witness an afternoon when it was raining in St Martin and we were looking form afar over the bay.
The suite has been large and well furnished but the air conditioning did not work when we arrived and no one came to repair it. The water pressure at the shower was too weak etc
The breakfast lacked in both variety and quality of the offering.
The service was not at the level one would expect in such a place.
The owners seem to have lost control of the property and this is a pity

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cetatzeni
Cap J, Manager at Belmond Cap Juluca, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2016

Dear Cetatzeni
Thank you for choosing to vacation at Cap Juluca and we appreciate you taking the time to review our resort. We are glad that you were able to enjoy our beautiful beach and the elegance of the natural scenery which surrounds us.
We are very sorry that the issue with your suite’s air conditioning was unresolved, as we make every effort to take care of all guests concerns in the shortest possible time. We also apologize, and are very disappointed that your experience with our service was unsatisfactory and will be reinforcing all service standards. We place great emphasis on the continuous training of our staff which is one of the reasons that Cap Juluca is renowned for very friendly and professional service.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience, and do I hope we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Cap Juluca soon.
Regards
Operations Manager

Reviewed January 18, 2016 via mobile

Long Review!

I did research for months to find a relaxing but beautiful honeymoon spot after a stressful wedding season! We are in our late 30's and wanted to relax and still have a great stay. We had 10 days to spend and after much research we chose Anguilla and St Barths. We were married in March but chose not to go on our honeymoon right away as I wanted to decompress and sleep after the
wedding! I highly recommend this! So we chose to go to Anguilla 3 weeks later. I have been all
over the Caribbean. The beaches of Anguilla were by far the most beautiful beach I have EVER laid eyes on.

How We Got to the Island-

We flew into SXM in the middle of the week (better deal) then took a taxi to the Public Ferry in St Maarten then took the Ferry to Blowing Point in Anguilla. The ferry took around 45 minutes and it was a bit rough (if you get sea sick bring some Dramamine!). However we loved it. Blowing Point Customs was very small, and it took about 10 minutes to get through. We then took a taxi to Cap Juluca.

Check In-

When we pulled into the long road to Cap Juluca I could tell it was something special. The photos on ANY website do this hotel ZERO justice. We were greeted by several people from the hotel and then we walked into the lobby. That is when we saw the water. It looked like a painting. It was late in the afternoon so the other hotel goers were having tea time. This hotel is so beautiful and private. The people are the KINDEST most accommodating people I have literally ever met. They made our trip so special. We were treated like royalty but also like friends. Check in was easy, they served us cold towels and drinks and arranged for the car rental service to come to our villa. Amazing!

The Room

The architecture is just what I wanted. It was beautiful! Every nook at this place is gorgeous!
We were in Villa 19 at the very end away from everything and it was perfect! Some think this is too far from the amenities however if we didn't want to walk (with that beach you will want to) we just rang for a golf cart. The view was unbelievable, the bed super comfortable and the bathroom HUGE! We loved sitting on our front porch and laying in our bed with the entire wall open to the beach. We were supposed to head to St Barths for the second week of our trip and we loved Anguilla so much we cancelled!!!

The Beach

We visited many beaches in Anguilla which we recommend (we rented a jeep for the entire stay) and Maundays Bay was still at the top of our list! Quiet, peaceful and the most crystal blue waters you have ever seen with an unobstructed view to St Maarten! We swam everyday, and even walked through the water on our way back from the gym every morning.

The free breakfast every morning at Blue was a great touch as food on Anguilla is expensive. Plenty of pastries, omelet station, bacon, sausage, fruit, breads, juice, coffee, cereal, pancakes, etc. We loved that breakfast!! The service everywhere at the resort is stellar. We also ate dinner at Pimms which is a more expensive option but is a must! Fantastic service and food. Several days we had lunch from our beach chairs as each area has their own person serving you. We loved the 3 pm free sorbet that is brought to your beach chair everyday as well as afternoon tea in the lobby before we got ready for dinner.

I can't say enough about the people at Cap Juluca, the kindest, most welcoming people you will ever meet. They made our stay better than we could have imagined. We are already planning our trip back. We have also stayed at CuisinArt which we also LOVED but it is a larger resort with a different vibe even though we recommend this resort as well. However, Cap Juluca won us over and when we left we were trying to figure out a way to come back soon! If you are on the fence about this resort and it's not sold out BOOK IT NOW. You will not regret it!! Thank you Cap for the best trip ever and a wonderful start to our marriage.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cattycurl
Reviewed January 13, 2016

When I think of complete relaxation I think of cap juluca. This is my go to. Albeit a bit run down in recent years it has a very lived in feeling. It is quite romantic, the suites are large and very comfortable but the beach is my absolute favorite beach. this is really my relaxing place. Only negative is they do not allow my small dog, hence ive had to start staying at the viceroy if we plan to travel with him. THe food is great, the simple touch of while on the beach passed sorbet or water is amazing. Stocked fridge. THis is the place to go and unwind. sit in the sun for 10 hours. nap. read. quiet. (timing wrong as wont allow me to add when I was there)

Stayed: February 2015
Reviewed January 11, 2016

We just concluded our 2nd visit to Cap Juluca.
First, the Positives.
1- Cap Juluca sits on Maundays Bay and has one of the finest beaches in the Caribbean. We've visited most of the great Caribbean resorts/beaches and you just can't top this beach. The sand is as soft and white as flour. The beach lounge chairs are the BEST!! and the beach service is very good.....not as amazing as our 1st visit 6 years ago, but still hard to beat.
2- The Staff is as friendly as you could hope to find. all seem quite happy and proud of the resort....consistently referring to it as "Paradise," which is a bit over the top, but they are indeed a friendly group and happy to help, albeit at an Anguillian pace. Frankly, the Anguillian people are so friendly that you can expect this at any of the resorts there. I do note that while the service was good, it was AMAZING on our visit 6 years ago....that's a bit of a slip. A higher, more visible management presence would help.

Now, for the Rest of the Story:
3- Cap Juluca has had a troubled history in recent years with an ownership dispute that is apparently resolved and settled. All the litigation, however, has had the effect of putting off much needed renovations and refurbishments to many of the facilities. The rooms at Cap Julucca are all of nice size, design, layout, with amazing Caribbean Sea views, etc. Unfortunately, they are worn and in need of a great deal of $$ and TLC.
During our stay, we had a small flood in the room due to an A/C backup. While resolved by maintenance, it almost led to an accident. Of note, when the issue was reported to management at their weekly cocktail party, which we almost missed due to the flood, we were comped for dinner at their restaurant that evening. Very Nice!!
The bathrooms are also nicely sized and laid out with a beautiful shower. Sadly, the beautiful shower lacks water pressure; so be prepared to spend a lot of time in there to rinse off.....we really missed an invigorating shower in that beautiful setting.
My wife needed a great deal of time to wash her hair, etc......
Also, some things just didn't work, like the louvered doors from the room out to the patio. One set was just stuck and the other had a finicky lock that worked sometimes, but took a bit of effort to work properly. At one point, we were even locked out of our room as a result, but security came to the rescue...eventually....
Wifi is available throughout thee resort, but service is sporadic.
also, one of the loudest AC systems ever.
Generally, things look a bit worn and tired and I'm sure will be refurbished over the next year or so. Wait until it's done.
4- Where is management? We saw management at their weekly cocktail event, but they are not out and about with the gusts. this resort is spread out over a long beach and there's really no need to go to the Main House while there, so it's incumbent on management to be out and among the guests at breakfast, lunch, beach, etc to check and see how things are going, etc.
When we visited Cap Juluca years ago, we had a villa manager, who was always around /accessible and there to deal with any issues. My wife and I do not go on vacation to complain and seek out management to report concerns. We complained once while there. We do not want to sit around waiting for call backs, responses, etc. Cap Juluca needs to find a way to identify and deal with guest issues......
4- As for facilities, we were surprised that the Fitness Center is still buried in the basement of the Main House and that there is not yet a stand alone, world class spa facility. The Fitness Center is well-equipped, but you might as well be working out in a basement anywhere as you don't feel you're in a special place while there....,
We also had a massage while there. It was in the room and quite good, but we prefer the setting of a beautiful spa overlooking the Sea.

My recommendation is to put off visiting Cap Juluca until much needed improvements are made and the resort reclaims its place among the Caribbean's best beach resorts.
This resort used to provide service that exceeded any Four Seasons resort. Now, I'd put their service well below a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton experience.

Please note, my wife and I are likely to return , but not for another couple of years, when we're sure things have been fixed.

We checked out the Malouhanna while on this trip and may give that or CuisinArt a try next year. We also looked at Viceroy, but it's too Miami Beach, without a good beach for us.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Bill R
Cap J, Manager at Belmond Cap Juluca, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2016

Dear Bill R

It was a pleasure meeting you and I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our resort. We are delighted that you were able to experience and enjoy our beautiful beach, as well as the friendly service from our staff.

Genuine and high-quality service has been one of the hallmarks for which Cap Juluca has become known for, and this is driven by continuous training, experiencing nearly zero staff turnover, and that Anguilla is one of the friendliest destinations in the world.

We are very sorry for your experience with the shower and it is unfortunate that this was not brought to our attention as this would have been very speedily resolved. Our guests are our number one priority and if any guest is dissatisfied with their experience, we work very hard to correct this immediately. I personally dealt with the issue of condensation in the floor of your suite, and both myself and our guest services team followed up with several calls to ensure that you were having a great experience. It is most unfortunate that we were unable to meet and discuss issues before you left as we welcome constructive comment.
The Wellness center is not part of or adjoined to the main building; it is very much above ground and enjoyed by all of our guests.

We hope that you do return to Cap Juluca soon, and I look forward to having the opportunity to speak with you regarding this recent visit .
Kind Regards
Operations Manager

Reviewed January 9, 2016 via mobile

To pay $ 1516+taxes for one night for a room,and do not have the proper shower water pressure,almost zero it's inconsistent with the level of a "Leading Hotels of the World" unit.
The duty manager have tried to repair it by replacing the room,and guess what!...with an inferior room,telling us to pack our things and to move in an at, least similar room.
THEY LIED TO US,OBVIOUSLY!
Second issue; nobody is making anything without a tip...you have to keep your hand in the pocket allways.
The resort is nice,the beach beautiful,the water splendid,but the people from the staff, unfriendly.
I'm a high luxury accomodation traveler, and I know what I'm talking when describe the situation.
Don't trust what they say about the room, check with your own eyes,before accepting it.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Florin A
Cap J, Manager at Belmond Cap Juluca, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2016

Dear Florin
Thank you for taking the time to review our property, it was a pleasure having you with us.
At Cap Juluca we are renown for the genuine friendliness of our staff, who always go above and beyond to make sure that our guests experience is the best possible. This is a fact that has been attested to by our guests over many years. Our policy on tipping, is that tips are absolutely never ever solicited, it is also contrary to our culture here.

Our guests are our number one priority at the property and if someone is dissatisfied with their experience, we work very hard to correct this immediately. I am very sorry that your experience in this case was less than satisfactory and I do hope that we are able to share a true Cap Julucan experience with you in the very near future. We would really appreciate the opportunity to further discuss all aspects of your visit and do hope we are able to speak with you soon.
Manager of Operations