“Incompetence On Display”

Price range: US$30 - US$100
Cuisines: Grill
Good for: View
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: A destination unto itself, Cobà restaurant sits at the convergence of Barnes Bay and Meads Bays, offering limitless sea vistas. Cobà's dramatic views from its blufftop location provide the perfect backdrop for this signature restaurant and vibrant seafood grill.
Reviewed July 23, 2017

We ate at Coba twice and we did not believe the issues we experienced in a 1/4 full restaurant off season could be repeated or get worse. WE WERE WRONG.

One our first visit getting a bottle of wine took 30 minutes. In fact, we were served appetizers before we got wine or water. On this occasion the food was pretty good so the incredibly erratic service was blunted by the kitchen doing a good job. I spoke to the manager about the service issues and he promised to do better.

On our second visit every fell apart. First off, a decorative rod fell of the ceiling. Dangerous and unnerving. Second, while I took the bother to see the manager before dinner and order not one but 2 bottles of wine, he never even came to check on us at dinner. As dinner began the service became unhinged. The first course came fairly fast and was underwhelming. We ate it and within 30 seconds of removing our plates they served us our main dishes. Our second wine was not even open yet and who serves food this fast in a "fine dining" restaurant, let alone to a couple on vacation who ordered two wines. We refused the food. Thereafter the wait staff avoided us. Finally, the asked if they could bring the food, they did, and the fish was hopelessly overcooked and the preparations asked for were completely wrong. Staff were clueless and this point. From there on we received nearly no service. Items were taken of our table 1 at a time by different staff. Imagine 4/5 wait staff coming minutes apart and taking a bread plate, then a main dish, then the bread basket etc... It was maddening and silly. The manager was not told of our experience and never even came by.

After we left I raised the issues with Hotel Management as the restaurant manager is obviously ill suited for a Four Seasons and could care less. Whilst, I was pleased with the hotel manager's proactive and decisive response to my issues this should not happen in Four Seasons and any fine dining restaurant. Until core staff training and management competence is restored I think Coba will be a shambles.

2  Thank FlyOneWorld

Reviewed July 19, 2017

We ate here each morning for breakfast even though it wasn't included in our rate. We didn't opt for the buffet as were aren't big eaters it seemed a waste at the price of $36. We ordered off the menu and on average it ranged from $40-$60 each morning for the two of us depending on what we ordered. The egg white frittata was absolutely delicious and enough to share. The omelets were perfect too and they come with toast. One day we also had a fruit plate, think it could have served four people.

We had one dinner here to celebrate our anniversary. Our reservation was at 7 and not many people in the restaurant yet but when we arrived we were told there wasn't any lobster, lobster tails or oysters, kind of disappointing. I wound up getting the grilled red snapper which was great and my husband loved the 8 oz beef tenderloin, just the right size. We didn't have the need for dessert but we were surprised with a decadent chocolate cake. Save room for that if it is on the menu!

1  Thank Tinyte13
Reviewed June 26, 2017 via mobile

For breakfast we enjoyed the Eggs Benedict. Dinner was excellent starting with the conch ceviche. Our tenderloin was cooked to perfection. We shared a side of asparagus. Beautiful sunset view from our table!

Reviewed June 4, 2017

We celebrating or friends anniversary at the Coba on the last night of our vacation.

We were sat by a friendly hostess who put us at a great table overlooking the Caribbean.

Our server Kris was very knowledgeable about the menu and made us aware of the specials on the menu and made some great suggestions.

The atmosphere is very Caribbean deluxe, with beautiful wood and glass touches throughout the restaurant.

All of the seafood was grilled to perfection, the ceviche was plentiful and very fresh.

Kris was a great waiter and we had a spectacular time. Definitely worth a visit for a special occasion.

1  Thank dfc9258
Reviewed May 22, 2017

I am a foodie.... I dont usually fall for the atmosphere places, but this one was amazing. The lights on the water and live music were about as good as it gets. It makes you sit back, relax, and remember how great life is.
With that said I almost forgot they served food here. I enjoyed the atmosphere so much that I almost forgot that my swordfish was very average at best. My wife also mentioned that her food wasnt that great.
I can guarantee that we both would go back in a heart beat though.
We did go for breakfast, and the breakfast was amazing! Well worth the price.