“I never liked sushi....until now!”
Review of Tokyo Bay

Tokyo Bay
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

My husband LOVES sushi! Me not so much. Actually not at all....until my experience at Tokyo Bay.
We have been to Anguilla many many times and the last few times we kept hearing great things about Tokyo Bay so we went.
They offer a beautiful dining area or you can sit at the bar and watch the chefs go to work. We decided to sit in the dining area and both started with the hydroponic greens with ginger dressing. Wow! The lettuce was Ah-mazing, not to mention that dressing.
As I look at the menu I am at a total loss until I come across the triple pork Ramon noodles, those I am familiar with. DON'T WORRY SUSHI LOVERS I DIDN'T GET THOSE. Although, (blushing face) I did order them at first.
After our salads my husband ordered me the rock shrimp tempura roll and I was hooked! This was delicious. The roll was done with rice paper instead of seaweed which was perfect! So I cancel my Ramen noodle order and ask our awesome waitress what other rolls are similar to the shrimp? She ends up brining me the lobster roll and the salmon roll. I loved them both!
My husband thoughly enjoyed his meal as well. He was presented with a beautiful sashimi selection. I tried the tuna from his dish and it was fantastic!
At the end of our meal we both were full but not overly full, which was great! I truly enjoyed my dinning experience and feel confident my husband and I can now go out and eat sushi together! Moral of the story even if you don't like sushi give Tokyo Bay a try. It just might change your mind.

2  Thank TravelTyme2010

Reviewed 21 November 2016

When we arrived, we were told this is the only authentic Japanese restaurant in the Caribbean.

Not quite sure what to make of that remark, but the food overall didn't stray too far from Tokyo.

Overall, we would definitely go back here if we were craving Japanese on Anguilla. We wouldn't make this a destination trip, but if you're in the area, and get the craving, you definitely won't be disappointed.

What we had:

Nigori sake (the only one on the menu, it was good, with a nice amount of sweetness, but a bit pricey at $45 for a 750ml)
Spicy Garlic Tuna 2.0 roll (this was our only "sushi" we had, but it was good, not too much of that spicy mayo, and the garlic was a nice touch)
Spicy edamame (really addicting, we ate the entire bowl)
Pineapple fried rice (more of a Polynesian dish, but was pretty good)
Miso soup (good to the last slurp)
Hamachi sashimi (really good, fresh fish, definitely must-get)

The pricing is expensive at the restaurant, but every dish is quality, and you won't be disappointed by.

1  Thank Andrew W
Reviewed 13 November 2016

We are sushi lovers and have eaten in many places over the years...Chef Joe's Omakase was HANDS-DOWN the best sushi we've ever eaten! So fresh. So clean. So innovative. So perfect. We did the 9-course meal and licked our plates clean every time...and wished for more courses. The service was great as well. The price is a bit expensive for the average meal, so be aware. We were glad to meet the chef and be able to give our positive feedback directly. If you like sushi and Japanese-fare, you should not miss Tokyo Bay!

Reviewed 14 July 2016

We have eaten in France, Italy, Spain, New York, Chicago (and others) and had some amazing meals. We keep a list of our Top 10 Lifetime Meals and Tokyo Bay made the list hands down. Amazing! We had Chef Joe's Omakase and it was incredible. The food was divine and the service was impeccable. The sous chef and Chef Joe are very passionate about the food they prepare. They not only serve dishes that are perfectly prepared and tasty but also look good visually. One of our courses was a fish that had been caught the night before. They worked so well together and we had an absolutely amazing dining experience. Thank you Chef Joe and your team for an incredible night and great memories!

1  Thank Rhonda C
Reviewed 1 July 2016

My spouse and I dined at Tokyo Bay at Cuisinart for dinner on a Saturday evening in late April 2016. When we planned our 4-night stay at the resort, we did not intend to dine at Tokyo Bay, instead choosing to eat at Cusiniart’s AAA 4-diamond restaurant Le Bistro Santorini; however, on Saturday evenings, Santorini offers only a $95 per person BBQ buffet, which we were not interested to eat. Initially, we overlooked Tokyo Bay because we thought that it only offered a hibachi/Teppanyaki menu; however, we could not have been more mistaken! Upon further investigation, we noticed online that Tokyo Bay offers an a la carte menu of both raw and cooked dishes, cold and hot dishes, ramen, Teppanyaki (hibachi), as well as 6-course and 9-course chef’s tasting menus. (We love Japanese omakase tasting menus! In Japanese, “omakase” means “in the chef’s hands”, so the chef chooses what you will eat and in what order.)

What further strengthened our desire to dine at Tokyo Bay was our successful pre-dining investigative visit to the restaurant, which is located on the third floor of the “spa building”. (The first floor contains a gift shop, locker rooms, hamam [steam room], and some treatment rooms.) Take the elevator to the third floor, where you emerge into a chic and sophisticated dining room! Although there is one hibachi table located towards the back of the room, the middle of the room contains the spotlessly clean open kitchen and the sushi bar area, and the front of the room contains elegant table dining. Two outdoor terraces (one with a bar) are accessed from opposite ends of the restaurant space. Tokyo Bay boasts that it is the only completely enclosed (air-conditioned) restaurant on Anguilla! A DJ plays music on Friday evenings. We chose to eat at the sushi bar so that we could watch the chefs at work.

We ordered the 9-course Chef Joe’s tasting menu, which costs approximately $165 per person (a smaller 6-course tasting menu costs $125). Our tasting meal at Tokyo Bay was the highlight of our entire Caribbean vacation! The entire restaurant staff treated us like royalty! Chef Joe Richardson comes to Anguilla by way of Las Vegas, where he worked at SushiSamba (in Las Vegas at the Venetian) and Bar Masa (also in Las Vegas at the Aria). Chef Joe trained at Le Cordon Bleu. The chef artfully designed and innovatively presented each dish. Some of our courses follow. We only wish that we had requested a printed menu so that we could exactly remember every course and ingredient.

• Tomato ceviche with yuzu, olive oil, togarashi yuzu powder, and puffed rice (the tomatoes are grown at Cuisinart’s hydroponic farm)
• Koal keel grilled tuna, topped with fried Chinese noodles and served on a banana leaf (in Anguilla, charcoal is still made the old-fashioned way, by building a "koal keel" of wood and dirt that slowly burns the wood down to charcoal)
• Snapper with Ponzu gelée and cucumber strings
• Tuna with foie gras, sherry unagi reduction, gold leaf
• Salmon sashimi with pickled onion, garlic ponzu
• Tokyo Bay kamikaze roll with shrimp tempura, spicy tuna, unagi sauce
• Miso crème brulee (This was the only course that did not “knock our socks off”.)

Our meal at Tokyo Bay was the highlight of our stay not only at Cuisinart, but on our entire 9-day vacation to St Barth and Anguilla. The quality of the food, and the service that we received from every one of the employees at Tokyo Bay is truly exemplary.

A meal at Tokyo Bay (and in particular, participating in the 9-course tasting menu) should be a must on any visitor’s list!

1  Thank fluffnfold