No 58(Lanark)
  • Free Internet
2,248 results
All reviewsold millheritage siteheritage centrerobert owenleisure facilitiesself cateringfirst classstunning locationwell worth a visitcotton millview of the rivershort breakclyde fallsroof gardenlovely hotelrelaxing breaknight break
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We attended a wedding reception here and also stayed the night in this hotel, which boasts a superb location within this World Heritage Site. However, it is a hard one to review as I have such mixed feelings about it. So, I will break it down into two sections - the reception and the hotel.

Wedding Reception
Probably the best Wedding Reception in terms of service and food that I have ever attended. In fact, it was outstanding. And given the amount of people being served it was hot (where required) and consistent across the piece. The only negative is that the bar in the room where the reception was didn't sell the bottled Scottish real ales that were sold in the downstairs public bar. When we went down to buy them we were asked if we were from the wedding party and when we said yes were told that we couldn't be served in this bar. Apparently, this is to stop wedding guests leaving the main room and congregating elsewhere. Luckily, when we explained why we had come down to the public bar, the guy served us (I hope this doesn't get him into trouble as he did the right thing). I can understand why they have this rule, but I also think it's a rdiculous one - you can't stop the public (which we still were as well as being wedding guests) from accessing public areas of the hotel if they so wish - particularly when it is the only place to get real ale! It also made us feel like we'd done something wrong - not like valued guests, though as pointed out the barman showed some welcome initiative (and understanding) and is to be commended for not being a jobsworth!

Hotel
The exterior is beautiful and, although there is nothing wrong with the interior, there are little or no historical features once you enter the building. Yes, it is beautifully presented, very clean and has every modern facility, but it could have been any modern hotel anywhere in the world. I suppose I was just expecting a little more character. The best bit was that we had a room facing the river, so the view was peaceful and it was lovely going to sleep listening to the water rushing over the rocks. As with several other reviewers, the breakfast was a HUGE let down. The night before we had stayed at a local Best Western (for the same price) and the breakfast there was outsanding - loads of self-service options in terms of fruit, yoghurt, cereals and pastries and a variety of different hot breakfasts on offer that were cooked to order. In comparison, the breakfast here was limited in terms of self-service items and the basic hot items were your typical dried up under a hot lamp (or similar) buffet. Most unappetising. This really needs to be addressed as it really does let down what was an otherwise fabulous dining experience and doesn't match the otherwise luxurious feel of the hotel.

So, not sure I would go back, but overall it is a smart hotel in a location that many would envy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river - as long as the sound of running water doesn't drive you mad!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank OzzyGirlWiltshire
hotelsmanager, General Manager at New Lanark Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel following your recent stay. I am of course delighted to read such positive comments especially in regards to the wedding reception that you attended. To hear words such as 'outstanding' and 'probably the best wedding reception you have ever attended' makes the team feel very proud. We do strive hard in all areas of our hotel to offer an excellent experience to our guests and although you were unable to purchase the bottled Scottish Ales in the function bar, I have instructed for these to be placed in this bar from now on.

In regards to the rule of not allowing wedding guests to purchase other drinks from the main bar, please be assured that this is NOT the rule and I have already spoken to the bar staff on duty to clarify this.

Thank you also for your comments in relation to breakfast. Our self-service Continental breakfast offering consists of freshly sliced grapefruit, pineapple and melon, selection of yoghurts, selection of dried fruits, selection of cereals, croissants, Danish pastries and morning rolls plus a selection of juices. Cold meats and cheeses are available on request from the kitchen and this is stated on the menu. Should there be any other item which you would have liked to have seen here please contact me directly and let me know as I am always keen to receive further suggestions.

The cooked breakfast is also served from a buffet, although I am looking to change this to a plated offering direct from the kitchen. The buffet normally works well considering there could be up to 80 or 90 guests arriving for breakfast at the same time. This often happens, particularly at weekends and that is the main reason for using a cooked breakfast buffet as a buffet normally speeds up service. We try and replenish the cooked buffet items in smaller quantiites so that the food is as fresh as possible and so that it does not sit in the breakfast unit for any longer than it needs to. A cooked breakfast buffet is not as labour intensive from an operational point of view of the kitchen as a plated offering, therefore in order to change to a full plated offering from the kitchen, I do need to restructure my kitchen brigade as one breakfast chef will be insufficient to cater for such large numbers of guest wishing to dine for breakfast at the same time. I am in the process of looking at this as I do not want the positive experience encountered by the majority of our guests staying at our hotel spoiled because they did not enjoy breakfast.

Overall, the scores given to us by your review are excellent with 5 stars being achieved for location, rooms, cleanliness and sleep quality. Overall it does appear that you have had an enjoyable stay and although you felt that the breakfast was a huge let down I would be disappointed if you decided not to return in the future because of this. As you say, you attended one of the best wedding receptions ever, had a peaceful view from your bedroom overlooking the river, beautiful location, fabulous dining experience and a luxurious feel. Please don't let a modern interior or poor breakfast deter you from returning again.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel, I have passed your feedback onto the team and please be assured we appreciate your comments. Should you wish to discuss any aspect of your review in greater detail please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

We spent a night here and the hotel is part of a restored model village next to the Clyde. We were allocated a room on level 5 which overlooks the river and all was well until the disco started on level 4. Seems they had a big prom night for lots of students and failed to mention this at check-in. So we complained and the manager was very helpful and we were moved to a cottage by the river which was recently restored, very spacious and comfortable. We ate in the restaurant which seemed quite expensive, but was really good with lots of attention to detail and presentation and full of flavour, so I would expect this to win awards. The breakfast was not such a great experience since they had run out of some things and some waited in a queue for 15min to be seated. There was some panic and haste to clear tables for the guests. The location is special with the history of the Mills to explore and fine walks by the river so it is easy to see why this is a world heritage site.

Room Tip: Level 6 or the cottages are the quietest if there is a function on.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2012

stayed at hotel for a family wedding. Fantastic location with so much to see, visit around the site well worth it, with discount for hotel guests. Nice conversion of old mill buildings. Rooms spacious and generally well fitted out. Evening meal of excellent standard, easily red rosette standard menu and dishes, congratulations to the chef team
Breakfast some may think is very good, but no where near standard of evening meal, poor display of both hot and cold items, limited cereals choice, fresh fruit cut up on flat trays, some fruit dry. Coffee very poor. Staff very welcoming and professional.
Would recommend for pleasant stay in such a beautiful and historic area, but drastic improvements in breakfast required

Room Tip: choose room with river view
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
hotelsmanager, General Manager at New Lanark Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor following your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend people to stay with us. I will of course take on board your comments in relation to breakfast and will set into motion improvements so that I do not receive similar comments.

I am glad however that you were impressed by my team and that they demonstrated professionalism throughout your stay.

In the meantime thank you once again for your kind comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to New Lanark in the near future.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

I decided to stay out of Glasgow and was recommended New mill right on the river I walked miles at night to see the Falcons at the falls it was truely beautiful .
The staff were great only two things to work a little on the room was very warm but not sure without air con how they could resolve and breakfast was not labelled other than that a great place with great staff well done I will be back in 12 weeks.
Oh one more thing you should be serving Warburtons bread as its your local bakery!!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for writing a favourable review of our hotel on Tripadvisor following your recent stay. I am delighted that you were able to see the Falcons in the Wildlife reserve. There really is so much to see and do in New Lanark and it is great to read positive feedback not only on our hotel but also on the surrounding attractions.

Thank you for your comment in relation to the temperature of your hotel bedroom. The hotel does get warm, especially when the weather is as nioce as it has been over the past two weeks. Please be assured that we are looking to invest within a new heating system over the coming months which will allow for us to cool our rooms down as well as warm up. I am confident this will help to make our guests stay even more enjoyable.

Thank you also for your comment in relation to labelling our breakfast items. I will take this on board and work with my Food & Beverage Supervisor staff to ensure this can happen.

Once again thank you for your positive comments and I certainly hope to see you return to New Lanark again in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I booked this one-night stop as I had previously visited this World Heritage Site, and it was conveniently placed for an overnight stop on the way home from a holiday in Scotland. The hotel is a beautiful conversion of one of the mills, and the large comfortable rooms have wonderful views over the river. Reception was friendly and efficient, the dining room was beautiful, and the food was superb. There is a huge amount to see and do on the site itself, which is very well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Check you have a good river view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at New Lanark Mill Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback so on behalf of the team thank you for your kind words.

I am delighted that you chose to stay with us on your journey home. Our location is ideal for those travelling from the north of Scotland back down to England as we are centrally located. We often find a number of our guests have the same idea.

On behalf of the team thank you for your kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.