2,323 results
All reviews old mill heritage site heritage centre robert owen leisure facilities self catering first class stunning location well worth a visit cotton mill view of the river short break roof garden lovely walk clyde falls relaxing break lovely hotel
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We stayed in this hotel as a special treat to celebrate our wedding anniversary and my husband's birthday. The hotel itself is in a stunning location, but the rooms were rather dated., and the bar, when we could get into it, completely lacked atmosphere. On arrival after a long journey, we went to the bar for a drink, but there was a large, noisy wedding party in there and no room for us; so I would always check in future if there is a wedding on. We were also woken up several times during the night by rowdy guests slamming doors and shrieking, so we didn't have a restful experience at all. Our primary reason for choosing this hotel was that it had a pool for our daughter to use. However, this is a private members pool and hotel guests are not given priority. Under 16's can only use the facility between 10am and 4pm. Considering check in doesn't take place until after 3pm, we had no time at all for our daughter to use the pool on the day we arrived. The next morning, check out was at 11am, so again, there was no time for her to use the pool, which was very disappointing. On the whole, our trip didn't turn out to be the restful experience we had been hoping for. When I complained the manager apologised and said he would take our feelings account, with reference to the leisure facility times. As far as I'm concerned, the pool should be open to residents at times when they can actually use it with children, or not advertised as part of the hotel at all.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank sarainGlasgow
hotelsmanager, General Manager at New Lanark Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2010

Thank you for your review posted on trip advisor following your recent stay at our hotel. Once again please accept my apologies for any shortcomings which you had experienced. As you know I made contact with you following your stay and went into detail in relation to the lesiure club opening hours for children. I am already reviewing these hours with our Lesiure Club Manager and as I explained to you before it is important to find the balance between hotel guests and private members. I am determined to find this balance for the benefit of all my customers.
I am sorry that your stay did not meet with your expectations, however please be assured that your comments have been taken on board and will be used to further improve upon our levels of service. I am positive that if you were to return you will have a very enjoyable experience second time around.

Reviewed October 18, 2010

As the desk at the Reception in the Hotel invited us to visit Trip Advisor and review our stay, here goes .....

We have just had a thoroughly enjoyable three-night stay in the hotel, but I have to agree with the "niggles" mentioned in a previous review.

Yes, the sauna and one of the lifts were out of order and awaiting parts, but this is unfortunate. However the "problems" with the restaurant can and should be addressed.

On the first evening (Tuesday 12 October) we opted to eat in the bar. The service and food were faultless and nothing was too much trouble for the staff in attendance. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for our experience in the restaurant on the Wednesday evening.

After waiting quite some time for our starters, my husband found that his soup was stone cold and had to go back. A replacement was served some ten minutes later, accompanied by a bread roll (presumably to make up for the greatly diminished portion this time around). Both starters were, however, quite delicious.

Unfortunately, when our mains arrived my husband's lamb was also cold, having probably been prepared to follow the first serving of his soup. Not wishing to wait too much longer, he then opted for an alternative of fish & chips which was fine when it came. The meals we both (eventually) had were fine, but I would much have preferred not to have to eat both my courses on my own, whilst my OH waited and waited.

Incidentally, when we had intially ordered our meals, we had also ordered drinks but we had to remind the staff of this once our mains were served. It has to be said that we weren't charged for our drinks, and were offered complimentary coffees.

On Thursday evening, we opted for the safe choice and reverted to the bar for our evening meal, where the food and service were first class.

As mentioned in the previous review, I can only reiterate how friendly, helpful and apologetic the waiting staff were, but they deserve to be supported in their jobs by some organisational changes being made.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at our hotel. We welcome all types of feedback and encourage our guests to do so.

Overall you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay with us and I am very pleased to read this. Unfortuantely there were some shortcomings in the restaurant on the Wednesday night to which I wish to offer my apologies. What you experienced was not our normal level of service. I have already discussed your issues with my Food & Beverage Manager and Head Chef to ensure a similar instance does not occur.

On a positive note I am delighted to read that you felt the service and standard of food in the bar was excellent and how helpful my team are. We do try very hard to get it right everytime but it does appear we got it wrong on Wednesday night. Please accept my apologies for this.

I would like to report that the niggles of a broken sauna and lift have now been rectified for the benefit of our guests and I am confident that should you return in the future you will once again have a very thoroughly enjoyable stay.

In the meantime thank you for taking the time to write a review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 17, 2010

I was orginally going to write a completely faultless review of the hotel simply because of the wonderful time that we had in New Lanark. However, we did experience a few niggles that some guests will want to know about.

Firstly the location. New Lanark is beautiful and the work that has been put into converting Mill One into a hotel is incredible. Although there are quite a few people walking around the village during the day, once the Visitor Centre closes New Lanark becomes a quiet, romantic and almost magical place. Our room was on the top floor and had a great view of the swirling river below.

When we arrived at the hotel we were too early to check-in (check-in is from 3pm) but we had a great bar lunch in the lounge bar which was reasonably priced. Our room was spotlessly clean and had everything that we needed for a comfortable stay. I was also very impressed with the leisure facilities. Everything was well maintained, the gym had a good selection of equipment and the staff were helpful and friendly. However, during our 4-night stay the sauna was unfortunately out of order (they were waiting for spare parts to fix it apparently). My wife and I also had massages and they were competitively priced and professionally carried out.

Now on to the slight downside to the hotel - the restaurant. It should first be said that we had no problems with the actual food, in fact quite the opposite. The food is beautifully presented and of superb quality. We had booked the dinner, bed and breakfast rate and for this you are entitled to choose a 3 course meal from the dinner menu (with the exception of items on the menu marked with a yellow sticker which carry an additional supplement).
The problems occur with the service in the restaurant. It is incredibly disorganised and very, very slow. The waiting staff do not seem to have responsibility for their own tables and on every night of our stay we had at least 3 different waiters and waitresses. The result is orders being forgotten, plates being left on the table and a generally chaotic atmosphere. On one night we were left waiting for 20 minutes before anyone even took the order for our appertisers and it was 55 minutes from the time of being shown to our table to the time that we were served our starters. Throughout our stay there were many guests that we saw complaining about the service in the restaurant.

It should be noted that despite the problems concerning the service in the restaurant the staff are very friendly and helpful when you are able to get their attention. The cause of the problems are organisational and managerial rather than issues with general staff members.

Although the problems mentioned above made for some stressful evenings we certainly didn't let it spoil our stay. We had a great time exploring the village and the waterfall walks are a great way of seeing the local wildlife. I think that once some of the problems with the day-to-day organisation of the hotel have been ironed out the New Lanark Mill Hotel will be a great place to escape to. We will almost certainly be returning and I will be keeping my eyes pealed for their next 'Murder Mystery' weeked or maybe even their New Years package.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments posted onto tripadvisor following your recent stay at our Hotel. I am very pleased to read that overall you had a very enjoyable experience.
In terms of the restaurant service and the lack of organisation of which you experienced, I would like to apologise for this. Over recent months we have put a lot of energy into the way our guests are welcomed and served in the restaurant. New systems and procedures were developed to ensure the needs of the customer were put first whereby each table would be looked after by a specific member of staff. This ensures consistency throughout. What appears to have happened last week when you stayed is the complete opposite. I have already discussed this with my Food & Beverage Manager to find out why the service structure reverted to the old way. This is unacceptable so please be assured that this disorganistation to which you experienced is not tolerated. We have made huge progress in recent months to improve upon our levels of service in the restaurant so I am very disappointed that you did not witness these improvements and wish to offer you my sincere apologies.
Thankfully overall you have had a wonderful time and I am deligthed to hear this and hope your positive experiences outweighed the negative one from the restaurant. I will immediately implement refresher training and personnally take repsonsibility for this.
In the meantime I do hope to see you return in the future and I am confident that you will be able to review our whole operation as positive.

Reviewed October 11, 2010

We just got married in The New Lanark Mill Hotel in August, we had a large number of friends and family staying the whole weekend...and what an amazing time we all had! The Hotel was fully booked and yet you would never have known as we still got so much personal service.

My gran is disabled and got so much care and attention from the staff, the rooms were fab, absolutely spotless. The honeymoon suite was stunning though....and breakfast the next morning...we couldnt even finish it there was so much.

What lovely little touches like a card for both of us and personal services like staff remembering what drinks everyone was having, etc.

These guys made everything about our wedding day special....Debbie deserves a special mention. She is great, she ran about all day, never once complained and made sure everything went entirely to plan! Thank you so much Debbie! x

Recommedn the waterhouses, some our family stayed in these and they were massive, perfect for families so you can still have your own space after the kids bedtime!

Thanks again, Louise and Richard x

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2010

New Lanark heritage site is tucked away and is like going back in time. It is aliving museum with the hotel being part of the complex. The indoor events are complemented by the wonderful walks in the woods on the banks of the river Clyde. The gift shops and cafes serving home made soup and cakes are worth visiting. A visit to the roof garden gives vistas over the whole complex. The hotel offers exceptional value for money over a three day break with half board. I highly recommend it for a short break.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple