“Lovely and delightful discovery ”
Review of La Cantina

La Cantina
Ranked #5 of 51 Restaurants in Spello
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 16, 2017 via mobile

On the way back from Civitanova Marche where we ate amazing seafood, we felt like it was time for some legit truffle and meat. The restaurant is located in this lovely medieval hill top little town nearby Perugia called Spello (Honestly, never heard about it even though I was born and raised in Italy. Mea Culpa for my ignorance in geography!).
The restaurant is inside a former wine cellar ("Cantina" in Italian. Duh!) with a great decadent ambience. Mysterious and dark yet sexy and elegant.
It was one of my Auntie's birthday so I ordered a few items to try. We started with a truffle bruschetta which was ok but then the truffle frittata was amazing. For "primo" (carbs main course for those who don't know italian dining ritual) we had truffle (again. Of course. Delicious.) handmade tagliatelle followed by a goose meat ragù pappardelle which was mouthwatering.
Our "secondo" (protein main course. Ok?) was a mix grill of skirt steak, lamb rack, Italian sausage and rotisserie chicken. It was definitely good but nothing mesmerizing. So why the 5stars? Here's the reason why. For dessert I preordered a chantilly cream millefoglie with summer fruit which was freshly made by the pastry chef. Holy Cake! Best dessert I had in a while! Even though we were so full, we left literally nothing on the plate!
Despite what lots of other reviewers said about the service, I personally thought that the staff was friendly and very patient, especially with a group of "insta-mums" who took 3mins to take pictures of each dish leaving me starve...!
I honestly don't understand who are the cheap and stingy reviewers who put three $. 4 pax + 6 dishes + 1 freshly made cake + coffee and water = 100,00€. Seriously?
This little gem in the middle of nowhere should be part of the UNESCO list!
Only negative note: unfortunately it is too far from my hometown! Otherwise, you would find me here every week!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,473)

Reviewed July 31, 2017

La Cantina is the complete dining experience. Decor and ambience is excellent, wine list is extensive and the food is sensational. Four of us dined there recently and the total was 132 Euros. You would be hard pressed anywhere in Europe to eat and drink as well as here. It was a pleasure to be there.

Reviewed July 23, 2017

My husband and I fell in love with Spello on our first visit three years ago and couldn't wait to go back. This time we needed a spot for Saturday lunch and stopped by La Cantina after reading all the positive reviews. The meal was the best of our trip. The service and atmosphere were warm and friendly and the food and wine exceptional - this is loving Italian cooking at its best. We shared 4 courses - starting with the farro salad before moving onto the truffle gnocchi, lamb and artichoke and finished with the pannacotta with raspberries. Every course was a delight and the meal gained strength with each passing mouthful ending with the pannacotta which made a fitting finale to an unforgettable meal. My husband and I couldn't stop talking about this meal all the way back to NY and will be sure to return when we next visit Spello. Grazie mille La Cantina.

Reviewed July 11, 2017 via mobile

We ate here on a Sunday night and there was plenty of tables taken.

The setting is a very nice blend restored cellar rooms, modern styling and comfortable seating. The service team is very professional, bright and friendly.

The food is excellent with a modern touch to all the classics you would expect to find. A very complete wine list with plenty of local choices and some from father afield.

All at reasonable pricing, although slightly above average for the area perhaps. Definitely a good value for the quality.

We would definitely go again, if in the area.

Reviewed July 10, 2017

In our experience La Cantina was the best of the 6 other very good places that we ate at in Spello during our one week stay. When we arrived we were lucky to get a table on a Saturday night. We waited for a few minutes, and they made sure we were good while waiting with glasses of Prosecco. The staff was exceptionally friendly, especially the man who I assume was the boss or owner. The atmosphere is exceptional. The food even better. We split our antipasto of caprese, split our primo piatto of a funghi pasta, and split a secondo of an excellent cinguale in a rich wine sauce. For dessert we again split, having a pannacotta. We ordered a bottle of local Sangrantino and finished with cafe, and a limoncello (we weren't driving). A wonderful complete Umbrian meal for 80 euro. This would've cost us considerably more in the states.