“Not a 4*”
Review of Hotel Costa Calero

Hotel Costa Calero
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Puerto Calero
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Travelled with First choice in a party of three. Advertised as a 4* Premier hotel in brochure.
Arrived at airport, not enough Thomson staff to greet passengers.
However, when we spoke to a member of staff we were directed to the Thomson desk & told we had a private transfer arranged.
Transfer approx 15 mins to hotel - excellent & driver of mini-bus extremely helpful, would not let me assist him with luggage & explained everything clearly.
Hotel.
Reception - as we had a private transfer we arrived earlier than expected, approx 12 midday, so room not ready, however we were checked in & told we could use all the facilities & would we mind returning at approx 12.30 and the room should be ready.
We did request a 4th or 5th floor room, but were told we were on 3rd floor as rooms were bigger.
Room - very large as described at reception, decor good, plenty of wardrobe space.
Told we were in sea view, which could be seen over the roof of adjoining building, but nothing else.
We were not happy with this & asked at reception if we could change rooms. There was nothing available that day but told to come back next day & they would try to accomodate us.
We did that, but room was very small so we were told to try the day after again, but again room too small, both of these were again on 3rd floor so we eventually descided to stay in origanal room.
We were told by other guests that repeat guests were normally given the better rooms.
Pool area & grounds - very clean, spacious & always somewhere to get a sunbed.
Restaurants - This is where the hotel standards are dropping.
Breakfast is served in main dining area, which has 4 large seating areas, plenty of tables always available.
However, there are 2 cooking stations but only 1 was being used. The individaul food display units were very close together and so when busy it was very cluttered and chaotic.
The standard of cooking was not upto 4* either, eggs were cooked on a hot plate about 12 at a time and becuase it was busy they generally burnt.
There were bits of egg white trailing & not cleaned when eggs were broken & when omellettes were cooked pans were not cleaned after each one, {we dont all like the same ingredients}.
The bacon was always burnt, it seemed like a school canteen conveyor belt, everything was rushed.
Evening meal - this was again served in this area, however the standard of cooking & food was quite a lot better - no complaints.
Lunch - served in seating area by the pool bar.
this was not large enough to accomodate guests to number of staff. Tables not available, tables not cleaned, running out of drinks, glasses etc.
Food quality was very good, however the standard of hygeine here has already been mentioned by other reviewers, extremely poor.
Cats wandering around tables, birds flying around, eating food off tables & even saw them hopping on the clean plates at the serving stations.
Complained to staff, who shrugged & said they can`t do anything about it.
Bars - good selection of drinks & most premium drinks available, however there always seemed to be a shortage of staff behind bars & waiting at tables.{quite a lot of people complained}.
This is also the first Thomson/First choice 4* hotel where I have had to pay for a safe & leave a deposit for pool towels.
I am not a snob , but the hotel only rates as a 3* because of the above misgivings we had & saw.
The hotel seemed to work for older generation couples & parties, I would return , but only at a very good reduction in the price I paid.
For the same price I can stay in 5* Thomson luxury hotels in Egypt, where we think we will return on our next holiday.
This is the longest review I have written and seems to contain a lot of howevers, but feel we need to ouline them all for a fair review.

Room Tip: Ask for a 4th or 5th floor room with a pool view, not a sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank sandamNeath
There are newer reviews for Hotel Costa Calero

Reviewed 16 May 2012

I have been to this hotel many times and am glad to say it still meet all my expectations. I stayed early May 2012 and while the hotel was full it never felt crowded and we found the levels of service to be excellent.

Food was good, same as always. I found the glass covers covering hte lunch buffet a bit fiddly but I suppose they are covering some health and safety risk....!!

We had a room on the 4th floor facing the sun but for some reason didn't get a speck of sun on our balcony all day....can anyone explain this?? I wish the hotel would replace the formica door as the panels are lifting a bit but I know it is hard to do everything.

We walked over to Perto Del Carmen most days on the costal track. A nice walk if you are used to walking but to be approached with care if you are not a regular walker.

All in all our stay was very enjoyable and I have no complaints at all and would rate the hotel Costa Calero as giving excellent value for money and I would have no hesitation recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mayonews
Suzann M, Director Comercial at Hotel Costa Calero, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

Dear guest

thank you very much that you have taken your time to write your opinion in Tripadvisor. We are very happy to hear that you had a nice holiday with us and we hope to welcome you again in a not
too distant future.

Best regards & have a nice weekend
Suzann Marx

Reviewed 15 May 2012

May 3rd/10th 2012. Booked this hotel for first time based on the good reviews. On arrival I was very disappointed that we had been booked into a room (36) on the ground floor...it was actually part of a family room with an adjoining door to next apartment. I did not request this! The couple next door were not noisy but every word spoken, every step taken and every flatuence could be heard. So no privacy! I complained to hotel but was told could not move rooms until the Sunday (4days later). The bed was old fashioned type with large noisy springs. Not very comfy.
However putting the room aside this hotel was perfect for my needs. Very quiet location.
Plenty of sunbeds (some people still insist on 'towelling' them..no idea why!) We had no problem anytime of day getting one.
4 large pools but very cold..(I'm a whimp...so didn't venture in all week)
All inclusive is a must.
Food was plentyfull and would suit all tastes. Buffet style so not always hot except for the fresh cooking stations. Best food I have ever had at all inclusive hotel.
Best deal was the wine...Good quality all day..by the bottle...We loved the choice of Rioja..both red and white..Could have as many bottles as you liked.
Even though the hotel was full (600=+) the service was very good. hardly any queuing. Tables cleaned and set as soon as vacated.
There is only one bar open during the day but because this hotel caters mainly for the mature couple..people were not wanting drink all day long so not much queuing.
Only one bar open between 6-9pm...on the top floor ( piano bar) Sometimes very busy especially with just one bar staff to cope.
Entertainment ranged from good professional acts (3 nights) to animation team...who were not very good.
Overall, had it not been for the room selection and poor bed (they are replacing them this summer) I would have given this hotel excellent marks.
Entertainment started at 10pm-1045pm..that was it..so could do better in that respect.

Room Tip: ground floor rooms are for families and have adjoinning doors...not suitable for couples.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank peterpanHuddersfield

Dear Guest

thank you very much for your comments, we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please be informed that we are changing the mattresses as of next week.

We hope to see you again in our lovely hotel.

Best regards & have a nice weekend
Suzann Marx

Reviewed 15 May 2012

Holiday from 6th to 13th May had a great time food very good, drinks not watered down good selection entertainment a bit of hit and miss. Facilities great. The hill down to the harbour quite steep but survived it lol. Hotel quiet and mainly couples not many children but that may be because it wasn't school holidays. Fire mountain trip very interesting and the Katamaran trip very good. On the whole the hotel is definitely a 4 star food and drink very good value along with the pools and facilities. Quiet resort but a taxi, bus or water bus trip to Porta del carmen if you want some whee a bit lively. Best all inclusive i have every been on. So go and enjoy

Room Tip: We were at the back of the complex and we got there late when it was dark and we all go lost for a w...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank victoria053
Reviewed 14 May 2012

This is certainly worthy of all the certificates it displays in the reception area. If you want a relaxing quiet time away in an excellently well kept friendly staffed hotel dont hesitate to book here. Some of the evening entertainment has to be watched with a sense of humour. This has to be balanced against the excellence everywhere else. There are plenty of sun beds grouped in small areas that are semi private and quiet.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank greenbunch
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I have tended to prefer self catering when travelling but was pleasantly surprised by this hotel, the ammenities and the overall ambience of the place. Despite it's size, there was no sense of it feeling overcrowded. The grounds are beautiful and well tended. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Food was good with plenty of choices at every meal time. Didn't enjoy the entertainment though but I'm sure there were those who did. I did enjoy the spa despite it looking a bit dated.

Room Tip: try for a sea view!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank CumbrianTraveller13
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Me and my fiancé had another great holiday staying at this hotel for the second time from April 29th - May 6th 2012.

We stayed here before in September 2011, getting engaged at Papagayo Beach, so it'll always be a memorable place for us :)

The hotel was just as good as our last stay with the food, drinks, staff, rooms, pools, facilities all being great.

My fiancé is a vegetarian and she never had any trouble finding a decent selection of food to eat at breakfast, lunch and dinner. They could perhaps offer one or two vegetarian 'main course' options at lunch/dinner times but all in all a great selection and miles better than any other all-inclusive hotel with regards to vegetarian options.

We always go out for dinner at least one night of the holiday to get a bit of variety. I'd recommend Emma's Mexican Cantina and The Blooming Cactus (Vegetarian) which are both located in the Old Town part of Puerto Del Carmen just up behind the harbour.

We both thought the pools were a good bit colder than they were last September but that was probably just down to the weather which wasn't generally as hot as it was then.

There are just a few things we'd like to see improved:

- The beds are simply too hard, as evidenced by the fact that a good percentage of the reviews on here always mention this fact. I really hope the hotel addresses this problem soon and gets new mattresses in every room.

- Only having one bar open during the day can result in a bit of waiting from time to time. It would be great if there was another bar open, perhaps on the lower grassy level beside the pool table.

- Opening the disused restaurant (Olyambar?) as an A La Carte option that you could book would be great for a bit of variety. They could perhaps have it themed with chinese, mexican, indian nights during the week.

- On both our stays at the hotel we've requested a late check out and not been able to get it. It would be good of this could be addresses somehow.

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quiet, relaxing break. It is mainly older folk (probably 50+) that stay here but me and my fiancé (both late 30s) are happy with that as we're just looking for a quiet holiday and we always try to go outwith school holidays so as to avoid lots of kids being there.

If you've been considering booking up for the Costa Calero I'd say go ahead and do it, you won't regret it :)

Also if anyone has any questions about the hotel or Lanzarote please feel free to get in touch and ask away. As I said this was out second stay at the Hotel Costa Calero but it's also my sixth visit to Lanzarote so I know a good bit about the island now.

P.S. We always hire a car for the week and pick it up/drop it off at the airport. This time it only cost 89 Euros using Autoreisen booking online before we travelled. It's only a 10/15 minute drive to Costa Calero from the airport.

Room Tip: We had a 4th floor room with a great sea view. I'd recommend 4th/5th floor for the best views.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Seaside Los Jameos Playa
#10 of 91 in Puerto Del Carmen
11.5 km away
Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca

Been to Hotel Costa Calero? Share your experiences!