See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 6, 2012

The inn is located at Sao Luis historical downtown, although pretty run down, many buildings are being restored at the moment.
The location is good, staff friendly, and ok breakfast. Clean and spacious room at a nice kept building. I would recommend it, though a bit pricey I would say.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anaduran
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Hotel Pousada Colonial is a beautiful old building centrally located in the historic district. Rooms have A/C, fridge, free wifi. One day is enough for São Luis.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank NathanTraveler
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I always wanted to go to São Luis and Lençóis Maranhenses, so I decided to stay at this hotel because it was located at the historical center. When we arrived, I was really frustrated to discover how abandoned the historical center were. The receptionist warned us to avoid walk around it since it was Sunday and it could be dangerous. Since we’re from Rio de Janeiro, we thought he was over reacting. They weren’t - we felt unsafe and it was even hard to find a place to have lunch.
The hotel is almost like the historical center itself, with a huge potential, great historical heritage, but abandoned.
Breakfast was good, with traditional cakes and juices. Hotel staff is very friendly and helped me to find an “arraial” - it was the last day of June, when they celebrate the Saint John’s party with typical dance (bumba meu boi).

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank MLvy
Reviewed May 10, 2011

This pousada is so popular that they don't even ask for a deposit to book the room. It was enough to send an e-mail and the room was booked.
I loved the colonial style of the building and its interiors. The room was quite big, the equipment basic, but all clean and comfortable. Nice view from the window. Breakfast OK.

The receptionists were helpful, gave us city maps and advised about touristic places to see in the city + trip to Alcantara, which I had planned to see. I don't know if they speak English as I communicated with them in Portuguese. However, there are many foreign tourists in the pousada, mainly French people, so I guess they have to communicate with them somehow :)

It is very close to historic centre and best restaurants in the city, just few steps away. Location is really good.

We liked the pousada very much and would surely choose it again if we go back to Sao Luis, which is fantastic and very safe city.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank brasilka
Reviewed December 4, 2010

We had high expectations based on reviews online and their website. However, even if we had done a reservations two months in advance, we were bumped to a tiny room with no window. The hotel was pretty noisy and, while well located, there is nothing in the area. On the other hand, the receptionist was extremely helpful and there is a delicious breakfast. Poor service for the cost paid.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple