See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 19, 2016

The staff is friendly and helpful, but I noticed them that there where musquitos under the table, during breakfast. I got bitten and 4 days later I got sick: Chikungunya. Recoveringtime about 1 year!
They didn't care about this mosquitos - so watch out when you are eating in morningtime!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I agree with other reviewers: The building is nice, with some pretty common areas to sit in, but the rooms are VERY basic (we couldn't' even keep the sheets on our bed - they didn't fit properly), and our shower had no hot water (they let us use another room, which was nice but inconvenient). Breakfast was okay. The beds also ranged from not great to unsleepable. The location is good if you want to be near the historic area but not RIGHT smack in the middle where it can be noisy. I knew what I was getting here - no-frills - but even so, I was happy to leave. I don't know that there are many great options in São Luis for this part of town, unfortunately.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jennifer R
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on Sunday evening from Manaus and we hoped to be welcomed by the warm atmosphere of a nice pousada. Nothing of that. The receptionist was watching a football match on tv and seemed to be annoyed by our presence, the room was too small and not cozy at all. We asked for a change and luckyly they gave us another room, wider, but as gosthly as the previous one. At least clean, we must say. We do not know the level of accomodation in São Luiz, but this is a place where you cannot spend more of one night!!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Saracura
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I have booked this place based on the ratings here on trip advisor. After staying 4 nights in this place I am quite disappointed with this place. Either it has been overrated or there was a decline in quality recently. The mattress of my bed was worn out and way too soft. After half a night my back hurt and I had to switch from the king size main bed to the other single bed in that room. TV is not a great alternative on a rainy day, because there is no cable TV. My TV only had an aerial antenna with only one or two channels in a viewable quality. Wireless Internet exists, but is rather slow and breaks down several times per day. The quality of the breakfast is poor. Few choices and watery juices with little flavour. Cleanliness of rooms was also not to great. On a positive note the prices of the drinks in the minibar were fair.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the street are quite noisy
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Wbranco1
Reviewed February 4, 2013

As all the guides say, a really clean place. Authentic colonial flavor that honors their name. Very nice staff! Quite good breakfast. And location is perfect, inside the ancient "Centro Histórico". Price is also very correct.

Room Tip: High ceilings make long stairs. But the street level does not have nice rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo