“Not Great But Passable”

Globales Tamaimo Tropical
Reviewed 7 September 2005

I travelled to this hotel with two teenagers and my husband. It was booked as a late deal and we opted for the all inclusive option. After booking we had read mixed reviews and were worried about the amount of thefts being reported but am pleased to say that we were not targeted. This might be something to do with my husband being 6 ft plus and built like a rugby prop! We did, however, hear of other people losing items and having doors kicked in and windows broken in the middle of the night.

There appears to be two sides to this complex, a newer side with aircon etc and an older side. The room we were given (room 313) was on the older side and had no airconditioning and renting a fan from reception would have cost around £25 per week. We bought one cheaper locally and used that instead, donating it to a neighbouring apartment when we left. The safe fee was a bit of a rip off too and cost us around £25 for the 9 days we were there, only 5 euros is refundable but in this environment it's a must.

Our room was cleaned regularly but was falling to pieces in places. The patio doors didn't lock, the safe didn't lock, two of the beds were badly broken and the electrics were very dodgy. The bathroom light switch pushed right into the wall when you touched it and the lamps etc only needed you to wave at the wiring to come on. All that said though, when we spoke to reception they immediately sent a handyman round who replaced the safe lock and the beds were both replaced within a hour. The wiring etc wasn't fixed though. You should note that both patio doors have locks. No-one we spoke to appeared to notice this and most were only in the habit of locking one of the doors. This might explain the amount of thefts with no apparent forced entry.

The mattresses etc don't have protectors on them and are stinking! You could smell them through the sheets and we ended up using double sheets. Somewhere as hot as that really should use mattress protectors as well, I dread to think what we were forced to sleep on.

Our room was on the third floor and next to the street outside and was very noisy. We didn't sleep one single night in the whole 9 days we were there due to idiots singing, shouting, arguing etc in the street outside the apartments at all hours. The only night the idiots were quiet a flipping brass band starting playing at 6 am and then went on for two days solid.

The food was okay, about as much as you could expect from a 3* hotel and we found there was always something we could eat. Our biggest complaint was with the bars. We are not big drinkers but at night time only one bar was open with only one member of staff serving and we regularly had to queue for up to 30 minutes in sweltering heat for a drink. Think it was a bit of a ploy myself to put you off drinking much.

The advert said there were snacks on offer in between meals and ice cream for the kids but this wasn't the case. Ice creams had to be paid for and the only snack bar open also had to be paid for even if you were all inclusive. If you missed breakfast or lunch there was nothing on offer for all inclusive.

Within a few minutes walk of the hotel there is a supermarket, some bars, shops and restaurants, these seem to be pretty reasonable for people going self catering but the better deal would still be all inclusive if you've got kids. Drinks in the hotel such as cokes were around £1.50 each.

I personally wouldn't go back to this hotel, it was run down in places, the service was slow on the bars, it's pretty noisy and right in the middle of lots of apartment complexes and near to some noisy bars and nightclubs. If you have booked this complex already, don't worry it' s not all bad. The pools were nice and just try to ensure you get a room off the streets and in the newer side. A safe is a must and be sure to lock both patio doors. I'm sure this would be better out of the mad season and it might be worth taking some mattress protectors with you!

13  Thank AnnBellfield
Write a ReviewReviews (3,645)

A TripAdvisor Member
Liverpool U.K
Reviewed 7 September 2005

Myself my wife and my thirteen year old daughter were booked to stay at the Tamaimo Tropical for two weeks through My Travel (Airtours) during Aug - Sept 2005.
From day one of our holiday we heard all the usual rumours of thefts from rooms and were told to be very careful with our belongings, we took this at the time to be hearsay and like most people decided to air on the side of caution.
On day five of our holiday our next door neighbours apartment was burgled. Our neighbours were asleep in their beds when thieves got in through the patio doors and stole a mobile phone from the pillow of their fourteen year old daughter. (Luckily she did not wake as god knows what would have happened to her if she had). Two day's later we accompanied these friends to the police station in Los Americas to report the theft as instructed by the local police, when we arrived at the Police station there was two other families reporting thefts form the Tamaimo Tropical apartments, one was an elderly gentleman whose passport had been stolen and the other was a group of young girls who had also been burgled.
These thefts were not isolated incidents as we were led to believe by the hotel management.
My own particular holiday nightmare occurred on the eighth morning of our stay, my wife was woken by someone tapping gently on our apartment door at seven am. She woke me and told me there was someone at the door, as I approached the door the bell rang twice, I decided to ask who was calling before I opened the door, no one answered but rang the bell again. Again I asked who was calling and what did they want. I could hear at least three or four Spanish voices outside our apartment. By now my wife was becoming concerned and decided to call reception to report that someone was trying to gain access to our apartment. By now the people outside were banging on the door loudly, I kept asking what they wanted but they did not respond. They then began to try to kick the door in. By this time my wife had rang reception 3 times and asked them to send security.
The men outside then smashed a large window in the bathroom before running off, my wife by this time was on the balcony screaming for help but no one came to our aid.
Approximately 30 minutes after we were first disturbed the Police arrived, with two members of staff, one was the cleaner and the other was a handyman, I explained exactly what had happened to the police, they did not seem surprised and casually walked off through the complex without a care in the world.
Later that day after we had calmed down, we confronted the manager of the Tamaimo about the lack of response from him and his security guards, he explained to me that they had only one member of staff on duty at the time of the incident and he did not want to attend as he did not feel safe given the circumstances. The manager also explained that he wanted to call the local Police as these would give the culprits a good kicking and they would not do it again (the managers words not mine).
Later the same day all the rumours started, we first heard that we had started a fight with some Spanish lads and they had followed us back to our apartment to seek revenge, the second rumour was that the lads were looking for some young English girls and were not happy as they could not find their apartment, and the third rumour was that there was only one man trying to get into our apartment and the other voices we heard were staff trying to stop him, all were complete and utter lies that were being spread by our own holiday rep and the management of the Tamaimo Tropical.
We were moved to other accommodation as soon as the Airtours rep could arrange it and finished our holiday on a high note in Los Americas only to meet up with another couple at the airport who were also staying at the Tamaimo Tropical after we had informed them about what had happened they told us they had heard about the incident but that it had been played down again by the rep and was said to have just been a normal burglary. UNBELIEVABLE

29  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Brighton, England
Reviewed 5 September 2005

i got back from tamaimo just over a week ago and i can't think of many bad things to say about the place. Im 22 and went for just one week with my girlfriend of 19 and we enjoyed the atmosphere around the pool juring the day.

after reading the reviews on this website we almost cancelled our holiday, thank god we diden't. Our room was very secure with brand new key locks put on the door.

Our room was cleaned everyday to a very high quality, the pool area was cleaned at about 7:30am till 8:30am so by the time we went to put our towels out it was spotless.

the entertainment at night in the resort is rubbish if your english, very spanish orintated. just a 2 minute walk away was a Bar/Pub called the Court Yard, the entertainment was fantastic. i sujest that you dont have dinner in the resort as the restruants are so nice and cheap. i recomend the Chinese.

The breakfast's at the resort are quite good if you like fry up's every morning. i loved it. there is a wide vireity of bread tho.

Over all we really enjoyed our holiday as we did not expect 5 star service, it is the perfect holiday if you like being round the pool for 6 hours a day then grabbing food the running to a pub at night.

Please email on Philliplangrish@hotmail.com should you need me to answer any questions.

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 September 2005

The complex itself was beautiful and the room we had which was an apartment for 4 (2 adults 2 Teenagers)was more than adequate and very clean.
As 'All Inclusive' guests we were disappointed as they did not really seem to be geared up to cope with this: The snack bar that was supposed to be available to serve out of main meal times seemed to please themselves as to when they opened and the choice we had was tomatos, bread rolls and cold chips! The bar could not cope with the demand of guests especially in the evenings when you could queue up for 20 minutes sometimes to get a drink, there was another bar on the opposite side of the pool but that was closed 6 out of the 7 nights we stayed there, why?
We feel the staff could do with a bit of training in 'smiling' and serving behind the bar, especially where the younger children are concerned.
The main meals were very good with a variety of healthy options, however again the younger children suffered in this area.
All in all a very good holiday.

12  Thank waynetheobald1
Reviewed 31 August 2005

Having arrived at the hotel at around 7pm on tuesday 16th august 05 my two children and I were immediately pointed in the rough direction of our appartment which was easily found on the ground floor next to the bar and restaurant. We were pleased with the cleanliness on arrival until after a rain shower the next morning the balcony was covered in mud splashed from the planters and our great friends the "roaches" who were residing under them, 14 dead after a spray of killer donated by reception.
We slept well the first night through being tired from our journey but from then on things went badly wrong. The roaches and mud were never cleaned up.
Thurs afternoon and a stroll down to the harbour at Los Gigantes. Two hours later returned to our room where my mobile phone had been extracted by means unknown to us and had vanished.
As a single father with a nearly teenage daughter (who looks old enough to be my wife!) I had to share a room with my son and give her the privacy of being on her own on the put up bed. How can you do this when people are letting themselves into your room without sign of break in.
Holiday ruined on day two of fourteen. Chair behind door etc. Noise from bar, worry, no sleep. Great way to relax!
Moved rooms to 332, third floor, but no air con. We thought we'd be safe there but we were very wrong. And very hot. Still no sleep.
Football with my son on sat afternoon at harbour and we are robbed again, this time my son's wallet from his suitcase in the room. Put there to make sure he didn't leave it when we came home! His comment to me was "dad, why are these people stealing from us when we are coming here and spending all our money on them". Not bad for a nine year old.
Last night of our holiday we thought we might get our cases stolen so I slept with the bed as close to the front door as possible with a chair behind the door (your only security in that place). 3am the door is unlocked but the thief cannot get in. It woke me up and I tried without success to see who it was but wasn't prepared to risk leaving my kids alone. Stayed up til 4.30am but needed sleep only to be woken after 5 by another attempt.
Day of departure felt like the first day of a normal holiday except we all wanted to get home not away.
Shame. There are some genuinely lovely staff at the hotel. But someone or a group of people, must be organising the crime within the hotel. 15 break ins that we heard about and 24 hour security! I REST MY CASE.
If you were there any time between 16 and 30 august please email me. We probably had a drink at the bar together!

12  Thank oneluckylass

Apartamentos Poblado Marinero
#3 of 3 in Los Gigantes
0.8 km away
Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes
Be Live Family Costa los Gigante...
#3 of 9 in Puerto de Santiago
8.9 km away
Las Terrazas de Abama
Las Terrazas de Abama
#6 of 8 in Guia de Isora

Been to Globales Tamaimo Tropical? Share your experiences!