All reviews azul ocean club costa rica black sand san juanillo private beach boutique hotel pool bar mango a great experience atv tour breakfast and dinner minute drive great spot rice out of the way small kitchen main restaurant
Reviewed February 11, 2015

We decided on a vacation of three days during our month long vacation in Costa Rica. We are used to CR bumpy roads; Tamarindo to Lola's, Brasilito to Los Catalinas etc. For this drive we decided to drive south ad see both Samara and Nosara on the was to Azul. Don't do i-it took double the time. Once we got there, however, we didn't want to leave. We had a deluxe king which is a two story house with balconies on both levels. A king is upstairs, along wi its own bathroom and a couple of seating areas that could be bed. Nice bathroom with shower shower. High ceilings, greater duvet, individual ac etc. Downstairs is a queen bed with en suite bathroom and outside shower, nice closets, living room, kitchenette, bar etc. What else could you want? Oh yeah, a hammock on the second level balcony, two tvs, a dining table on the first balcony, beautiful jungle grounds bordering the ocean (black sand) and a lovely pool and a short hop to Ostional for turtle viewing. Try it, if you can relax you will like it.

Room Tip: I think they are all good-not the condos though
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank csf1
Reviewed February 8, 2015

I upgraded to the Azul Ocean Club from an abysmal "lodge" in Ostional, so the isolation, crappy roads, lack of activities to do nearby, etc., wasn't a shock to me. But I could see how, if you weren't prepared for it, it'd be problematic. That aside, Azul Ocean Club is a lovely resort, with attention to detail I hadn't experienced at two prior accommodations I'd stayed at in Costa Rica.
The resort is in the middle of nowhere, and there is a hideous, graffiti-ed, abandoned tenement right next to it which is an eyesore, no doubt. But the resort itself is fresh and beach-y, all white and teal and neon yellow, with modern, simple design. It features a well-appointed gym, two restaurants, three bars (one is in the pool, yay!), a couple of cabanas on the grounds within the palms where you can lounge or get a massage, a couple of outdoor showers, a multi-level infinity pool and jacuzzi, a small white sand lounge area (which they call a beach), table tennis table and little shop with snacks and souvenirs.
You can arrange tours through reception (I saw a few folks doing a sunset horseback ride on the beach during my stay, it looked lovely), and borrow books and snorkeling gear (I borrow gear, but the waves were too intimidating for me to attempt to get in the water).
I had the pleasure of staying in both a villa and a Deluxe room, and both were fabulous. The cleaning staff are so lovely, they keep things spic and span and leave you bottles of water and chocolates throughout the day (friends of mine said they were brought complimentary plates of fruit to their room, but I never experienced that). The villa had everything you could want, large, comfy beds, modern showers with good water pressure and good consistent temperature, plenty of clean towels, soap/shampoo/conditioner (why do hotels never provide toothpaste?). The villas also have full-size fridges, freezers (could not figure out how to make ice!) pans for cooking and stoves, even tupperware. I was able to get pretty comfy here, relax on the couch and watch some ridiculous American TV en espanol, relax on the balcony (even has a hammock) or on the porch, sit at the kitchen table and enjoy the view with an iced coffee I made in-room. Pretty great! Not sure why there are no electrical outlets near the bedside tables, you can't charge your phone and actually keep it in-reach overnight, which is problematic if you've set an alarm! I wish the villas were spaced a little more widely-apart, I could see quite clearly into my neighbor's bedroom and I'm sure vice-versa!
The Deluxe room was also great. Similar comfort, just a bit smaller. The room I was moved to had some weird plumbing issue however, so the shower drain made a constant draining noise, though it wasn't in-use, which was irritating. The shower also uses a strange pressure-based mechanism to run, which kept switching off mid-shower, which was not my favorite either. But the room and bathroom were clean, the bed was comfy, and A/C worked really well. The sound really, really carries at Azul Ocean Club, so not sure how well it'd work for a more romantic getaway, but for a platonic getaway it was great!
I didn't try the food at Blue 47 (the pool-side restaurant) but they mixed a pretty good strawberry daiquiri. The food at the main restaurant was very good (though don't bother with the tortellini, it's pre-packaged), but after numerous nights here picking meals off the same menu, one does get bored. The bartenders mix amazing drinks though, you MUST have a guaro sour here (made with the local liquor). Fish dishes were particularly great, and I loved the breakfasts, particularly the spicy chilaquiles, which were new to me.
The staff at the front desk are sweet, well-intentioned people, but... Oy.... Due to my travel agent's incompetence, I was desperate for lodging, and kept being told by the staff at Azul that they had no availability for (what I hoped would be) the final night of my stay. I checked once more on my final day at the front desk, same response, after which I arranged for my 12 PM checkout. I left the office. A staff member comes running after me to inform me oops, as it turns out, they DO have a room available for that evening after all. Huh? How was that not apparent 10 seconds ago?
Another very lovely staff-member over-charged me for my room, and was at a loss as to how to correct it. As others have mentioned, this resort is isolated, so I had to arrange for Azul's private transport to the airport. Despite the requested 2-hours notice, the front-desk person neglected to call for the driver, nor make arrangements for the charge to be added to my hotel bill as-agreed, so not only was I late for my flight but I was asked to find a bank on the way to the airport to pay the driver in cash. Thank God I still made my flight. Not acceptable.
Despite that, I loved swimming in the pool, walking the beach, enjoying a frozen drink or two, or relaxing in bed at Azul. With some upgrades in staff training and to the surroundings, this resort could really be incredible. I think I'd go back if I rented an SUV and got some practice in on the CR roads first!

Room Tip: Villas are worth it if you're traveling with a group.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed February 8, 2015 via mobile

This is a hotel made of individual two-story villas and several hotel rooms. It is on the beach, however it is very remote. From the major highway you need to drive about 35 km of bumpy dirt roads, it is worth it but know that there are only 2 restaurants and they do have a mini market for snacks. The villas have a fully equipped kitchenette so I highly suggest you stop at a grocery store and shop for all the snacks, drinks and maybe even items to make quick easy meals. Breakfast is included, they have 4 options for you to chose from: waffles, pancakes, chilaquiles or typical Costa Rican breakfast with rice and black beans and eggs.
We ordered the chilaquiles which were delicious!
For dinner we enjoyed it at the blue47 restaurant we had the tortilla soup and rice with shrimp they were delicious. Prices for food average $18 -$28 USD

• Stayed: February 2015
1  Thank Strllradvsoca
Reviewed February 7, 2015

The Hotel Azul Ocean Club is an oasis in an extremely rural part of Costa Rica. Our family stayed in a two bedroom apartment that was exceptionally comfortable and well furnished. The hotel is on a Pacific beach with huge waves and dark sand. The breakfast is superb and the staff is very attentive to the guest's every need. I hope to return to this fine accomodation sometime in the future.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Charles H
Reviewed February 2, 2015 via mobile

I stayed in a beautiful villa here with my sisters and parents. Between the delicious ceviche, the relaxing facial, and the comfortable atmosphere of the room, it's been hard for us all to narrow down our favorite part of our trip. We enjoyed hearing the ocean waves from the refreshing pool and watching the sunset from cozy lounge chairs almost every night (and never got tired of clapping whenever it set!). This New Yorker dreams of the beautiful weather and experience every night and it would not have been shaped the same if it hadn't been for our stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2015