“Very rude staff members & over price shop bought doughnuts for Afternoon tea!”

Restaurant At The Old Hall Hotel
Ranked #28 of 51 Restaurants in Frodsham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Housed in a charming 16th-century hotel in Cheshire, Old Hall Hotel restaurant offers fine traditional English cuisine. Set in picturesque countryside, the restaurant provides a sophisticated setting in which to dine. Full of character, The Old Hall Hotel oozes traditional English charm with elegant decor, log fires, original beams and classical design. Traditional British cuisine is the key focus, with delicious dishes like slow roasted belly pork with caramelised apples and parsnip purée, Cheshire cheese and onion pie or Old Hall fish pie with shellfish. Classic favourites on the dessert list include sweets like raspberry Eton mess or warm pear and almond tart. There is a good selection of wine to complement your meal, along with a range of locally sourced cheeses and homemade fruit chutney. Offering traditional British dining and a warm, relaxing ambience, The Old Hall Hotel and Restaurant in Cheshire is on the main street in Frodsham.
Reviewed April 30, 2016

We pre booked this establishment for a friends baby shower. From the moment we walked through the door we were made to feel uncomfortable and an inconvenience. Our party of 17 were seated separately, when we asked if we could be seated together (simple enough to move that 1 table to the end!) we were told to wait in the bar area whilst they moved the table. We all waited expecting to be able to get a drink but no member of staff was to be seen. When we went back in we were told that the table cloths were an extra £5.00 each, when we queried this charge (as we stupidly thought that afternoon tea at £16.95 each would atleast include a table cloth!) the cloths were ripped from the table and thrown to the side. We all sat down and was served sub standard clearly shop bought cakes & doughnuts! and that these trays would have to be shared between 5 people! During the tea we did not see one member of staff what so ever, we had to walk around to find someone to get extra drinks only to be told quite rudely "these are extra". At the end, a member of our party went to complain about the treatment we had received only for the staff member to say she was "too busy cleaning up our mess"!!!! (A few sprinkles on the table hardly created a mess) needless to say we left without purchasing anything else! When the lady who booked returned later to see the manager (as we couldn't see him earlier as he was "too busy shopping in M & S"!! ) he didn't seem to care that his staff members had totally ruined what was meant to be a lovely afternoon spent celebrating the impending birth of our friends baby! So if you want a quaint afternoon tea served on crisp white table cloths with homemade sandwiches, cakes and scones with jam and clotted cream (their cream was whipped cream!!) then please AVOID The Old Hall in Frodsham!

3  Thank 598robind

Reviewed April 30, 2016 via mobile

After having my daughter's christening here a few years ago I thought it would provide the perfect setting for our good friend's baby shower. WRONG!!! On arrival the room was beautifully presented but unfortunately we had all been separated across three tables. I politely asked for the tables to be placed together rather than being split (as originally requested) I also asked for another tablecloth to place on the gift table, well I'm sorry I did. Immediately I was told in quite a stern voice that there would be a £5 charge for the cloth, of course I refused. At this point she pulled the table cloth off the table like something from a magic show claiming we knew about the charge WRONG AGAIN!!!! Why on earth would we pay £20 for table cloths in a restaurant!!! Unfortunately the service just went from bad to worse. A couple of minutes after sitting down the afternoon tea was served (1 between 5, more cakes than sandwiches!!!) this was the last we saw of the waitresses. Being typically British we paid the bill, we went into the bar as we had not been seen to order any drinks. We waited patiently for several minutes for service but once again no one appeared. At this point we decided to leave, we did request to speak to the manager but the manager wasn't there so we polity passed our comments onto the waitress who after many insulting comments said "what are you expecting for £12.75?" How about service with a smile for starters!!! We did later speak to the manager who had obviously been on a customer satisfaction course as he politely nodded to everything that we said, I hope he's spoken to the rude waitress involved and questioned her on why no drinks had been purchased for a party of 17 people maybe this way he will realise the lack of hospitality received. 'The Old Hall Hotel' more like the 'Deserted Hotel'. Anyway to cut a very long story short it is certainly my last visit here which is such a shame as its a place that I have previously loved.

1  Thank NorthStar320547
Reviewed April 30, 2016

I am utterly disgusted and shocked with the service I have received tonight. The lady who served us tonight was disgraceful. I have never felt so uncomfortable in a restaurant in all of my life. After my friend had organised prices and options on the phone previously we arrived at this venue to be seated on three separate tables. We then asked for the tables to be put together which seemed a huge inconvenience and when we tried to help we were told to leave and wait in the bar area, which we did and we did not see one member of staff so we're unable to purchase a drink. We then asked if we could have a table cloth for the present table to be told table cloths were charged at 5 pound each!!!! We kindly told the lady that we were not told about the cloths so would not be paying for them. At this point the table cloths were pulled off the table and put to the side. We then sat down for afternoon tea feeling very uncomfortable we did not have one member of staff come and check the food was ok the whole night. The afternoon consisted of asda bought cakes and a small range of sandwiches! People had to go to the bar to find a member of staff to order drinks and were made to feel very awkward. When we were leaving a couple of our group stayed behind to discuss with the waitress our disappointment. Well!!!!!! What a rude lady she was!! To be told that she had just spent ages picking up our mess (a few baby shower sprinkles) that we were rude, what do you expect for 12.95, that she didn't care!! I am completely in shock I cannot believe that anyone would speak to people the way in which this lady did. Customer service of this staff was certainly not acceptable. When asked to speak to the manager we were told he was busy in marks and Spencer's my friend later returned to speak to him to just be told yes! If I was him I would be very embarrassed by my staff and would have done everything possible to put their behaviour right. I am utterly disgusted and will not be visiting this hotel again!! I will certainly be advising people to never eat here!! Thank you old hall hotel and restaurant for spoiling what should have been a lovely evening.

2  Thank Zoe S
Reviewed April 11, 2016

We had our annual dinner here. The menu offered to our members was well balanced and on the night we weren't disappointed. All the various choices looked beautifully prepared and presented. I had the lamb which was so succulent and tasty, followed by a gorgeous cheesecake.
The staff were great. Despite our large group of 38 diners, we were all served quickly with the minimum of waiting for everyone to be served.
We had a lovely evening in a relaxed, comfortable atmosphere.

Reviewed March 20, 2016 via mobile

Enjoyed a lovely relaxed evening tonight to celebrate our anniversary. Food was excellent & staff friendly & welcoming. Always enjoy visiting the old hall.