“The bedbug Farmyard Express”
Review of Nid's Bungalows

Nid's Bungalows
Dublin, Ireland
“The bedbug Farmyard Express”
Reviewed 21 May 2011

On arrival in Nids, we were greeted by Nid who's hospitality was commendable. However the feeling of being bitten alive whilst sleeping took away from that feeling. The bed was riddled with bugs and made for an uncomfortable stay in Chewang. Some dodgy ladies on the lane walking towards it made every effort to make us feel a little better, wearing a little leather number and emerging from behind the trees. She must have heard of Nid's hospitality as she was desperate for her and her friend to join us back there. It was hard to find staff at the best of times, a lot easier to find the dogs who seemed to be there to cater for all your needs. Nice little lads. All in all, if you are going to stay in Chewang, why not give Nid a shout. She will be only too happy to sort ya, and if she doesn't, you won't have to look too far to find someone that will.

Room Tip: Check for bedbugs
  • Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Craicpacker
, Owner at Nid's Bungalows, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
We would like to thank Craicpacker for his review of Nid's Bungalows. As the vast majority of our reviews indicate, we take great pride in the condition and cleanliness of our bungalows, and in the care we take of our guests. In order to improve the experience of their stay with us, we are only too happy to receive both positive and negative feedback from the reviews.

However, in the case of invalid, misleading or inappropriate comments, we are compelled to respond for the benefit and information of those considering a stay with us.
Unfortunately for the accommodation industry, it is simply to easy for ill-informed or otherwise ignorant guests to mislead other travellers by attributing any type of insect bite they may have suffered in their rooms to bedbugs.

Ecopest Samui Co.Ltd has just completed a full inspection of Nid's Bungalows. Their report has confirmed what we have known to be the case over the past 4 years, that is, there is not, and there never has been, the slightest trace or evidence of any bedbugs in any of our bungalows. Their report suggested that mosquitos were the likely cause of any bites suffered by this guest.
All our bungalows have mosquito screens on doors and windows and we also take additional measures for their control. Given we are in a tropical environment, it is also the responsibility of the guest to take the usual precautions against mosquitos.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2011

Having read some of the reviews on this website I have to say I was a bit concerned about what I would find when I arrived at Nid's Bunglaows but I was pleasantly surprised. First of all they gave us a complimentary transfer from the airport which was waiting for us on arrival. When we arrived at the Bungalows Nid was very welcoming and gave us a bottle of water and plate of fresh fruit each. We stayed in the air conditionied rooms and for the price we paid we couldn't go wrong. The air con was almost brand new and a lot more effective than the air con in a lot of hotels I had previously stayed in. Our rooms had a TV with a good selection of English language channels, plenty of electrical sockets, a king size bed and en suite bathrooms. The grounds are well presented with lots of flowers and animals and are always kept clean and tidy.
The price also included a daily breakfast of orange juice, toast and fresh fruit which was served as and when you got up and not between specific times. We got our beds changed, rooms cleaned and fresh towels everyday. The location is not as bad as some reviews say, about a ten minute walk to the beach and twenty minute walk to Green Mango but there are plenty of taxi's and busses running constantly for next to nothing should you not want to walk. It is also very close to The Reggae Pub, Chaweng Thai Boxing Stadium and a smaller strip with plenty of bars and nightlife. The rooms have no safety deposit boxes but there were always Nid's employees milling about at all times of the day and night and the bungalows are locked and padlocked so I felt more than happy to leave my belongings there while I went out. Overall if you're on a budget then you can't go wrong, we were on Samui for two weeks and I have to say I didn't really see anything better than what we had in the same price range. A pleasant place, good value for money and somewhere I would happily stay again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2011

The room we had was a 4 bed family ensuite for 1200 baht per night which 3 of us shared late Feb 2011. This room was slightly larger than the other rooms and had a TV, fridge, AC, 2 bunk beds and a single double bed, all of which were comfortable and gave a good nights sleep. The room and bathroom were both clean. with the shower being your usual wall mounted removable showerhead (same as at every place we stayed in thailand). For the money you pay you certainly get a very well priced and confortable place to stay, and for us that was all we really needed. I gave the room a 4 purely because some of the other places were a bit nicer around the edges, but only in terms of appearance.

Outside of the bungalow was an undercover table and chairs, and as you walk in there is a bar with a pool table, dart board, stereo with a wide range of music. There are also a few computers and the internet available. Nid also has a few mopeds available for hire at 200 baht per day and helmets were included when we hired them.

By the end of the trip we had made some friends with other guests there and on a few nights we'd sit around in the bar area having a few drinks, and playing music, pool and darts. Nid and her workers were always more than happy to keep this area open for us and even had a few drinks and a few games of pool with us.

If the distance is a worry you can also get Nid or one of the many friendly people that work at Nid's to drive you into town which they did on a few occasions free of charge. To get back to Nid's you can get a moped taxi back for 100-150baht, depending on your bargaining skills. If you do choose to walk it will take you between 5 - 10 mins from the beach. There are some bars and restaurants (eg Reggae Bar) on the street 5 mins from Nid's so not everything will require a trek into the main strip.

If you were backpacking in Koh Samui I believe there are some slightly cheaper places that are closer to Chaweng Beach but youd only be talking by probably 100-200 baht per person per night. We did also stay at a beachfront resort on Chaweng Beach on one of our last days and paid 2600baht per night for a room that was only marginally nicer than what we had at Nid's. We also stayed in Bangkok and Patong Beach (near Phuket) for a few other nights we were in Thailand and both of these places were also more expensive and only marginally nicer, but both did have pools. Nid did mention while we were talking to her that she was building a pool so thats something to look forward to.

All in all we really loved our stay here and will be staying here again on our next visit to Samui. For those thinking of staying here I highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank LeighMc84
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 January 2011

This was a nice enough place but way overpriced. The quality and the price did not match at all. The complimentary water and continental breakfast were a nice touch but I still think it was too expensive for the service provided. I did have much contact with the staff but the owner did seem nice and helpful. I only stayed here 1 night and quickly found much cheaper accommodation closer to the beach and the main strip of Chaweng Beach.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paige28
Brighton, England
Reviewed 2 January 2011

For the 11 days I stayed at Nid's Bungalows, each and every day I was made to feel welcome! Nid and Alan are a brilliant couple, who both went out of their ways to make sure my stay was comfortable, and I can ensure you it was! Always water and fresh fruit available, no matter what time of the day, and also Nid is a brilliant cook! Alan always advised me to the best places to go, and even arranged an excursion for me, which turned out to be a brilliant day. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and although their english is limited, Alan is always around to help out! The bungalows are perfect, basic but goes with the authenticity of being in Thailand! The whole Land is sorrounded by greenery and wildlife, absoloutly perfect to wake up to! Only a 5/10 minute walk to the beach, and right behind the bungalows is the boxing stadium and a strip of bars/pubs, a good night out! Overall I have no negative feedback... I WILL be returning to Nid's Bungalows, made koh samui worth a visit!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 December 2010

When I arrived there the room seemed clean and tidy and good value for money. The first week I couldn't fault much. Staff were helpful, mostly gave you a lift to Chaweng Beach and were great. In the second week, after wondering what all the bites on my body were, I realized and found bedbugs..everywhere. That ended up spoiling the whole holiday. I told Nid twice, and even showed her the actual bugs. After that they sprayed something, but I still found bedbugs on my bed and underneath. I ended up sleeping with lights and fan on high...not very comfortable. The other thing was, due to heavy rain in the area, no taxi would drive to the bungalows as the sandy pathway was full of holes. The I was lucky to at least manage to get a scooter taxi, which, when raining is not too great, and they also ripped me off due to the fact they knew nobody was driving there. The last thing that upset me was that I was promised, due to my 13 night long stay, that I get a free transfer to the airport on departure, but I had to pay 300 Baht for it. The main problem I felt was communication, people just do not speak and understand English well enough, making it hard to explain problems and sort them out. But from my point of view, this should not be made my problem, no matter how much I pay for accommodation. I have been working over 12 years in the hospitality industry and believe that if people want to run a hotel or similar, they should know enough about it and also speak at least English, as most travelers there would only be able to communicate in English. Overall, the good things were that towels were changed daily, bedding every second day. Water was only given to me when they saw me, I do not know why they didn't just put it in my room? If I would to go back to Samui, I would probably not stay there again, main reason being the bugs.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank sonnenscheinchen83
, Owner at Nid's Bungalows, responded to this review, 18 December 2010
We would like to thank this guest for her valuable feedback but wish to note the following. From her initial enquiry about accommodation we became engaged in an exchange of around 24 emails, between the 14 August and 10 November 2010, in an effort to satisfy all her questions, which we believe we did. The nature of her questions made it clear to us that we were dealing with a very critical and particular individual. It was unfortunate, and beyond our control, that Thailand was experiencing unusually heavy rainfall and widespread flooding at the time of her stay with us, so everybody on Samui was having the same problem getting around and travelling on the roads. Any seasoned traveller would understand natural events like this are part of life worldwide. Similarly, with respect to language and , as is typical throughout Thailand, our staff have only limited English but try their best to understand and make our guests happy. In fact, we find most of our guests love this language interaction as a fun experience of their stay with us. Having worked for over 12 years in the hospitality industry, she should understand the need for tolerance and that languages are part of the travel experience for everyone. This guest chose to pay for her accommodation in advance but did not remit the correct amount, leaving 460 THB balance to be paid at check-in. In an effort to promote goodwill, we waived the 460 THB when she checked in. This more than compensated her for the 300 THB transfer cost to the airport she has complained about. Finally, she has resorted to the common complaint suffered by this industry from disgruntled guests - bedbugs. In the years we have been operating, we have never had a complaint about this from any of our previous guests, and she is most welcome to visit our reviews on major reservations websites such as Hostelworld, Hostelbookers and many others. Our cleanliness, value-for-money and staff ratings are universally high. We thank our guest again for her feedback but suggest that her expectations are such that her travels will always be difficult, particularly for the people serving her, and that these expectations are only exceeded by her imagination about bedbugs.
London
Reviewed 12 September 2010

Booked for one night as a stop over on the way to Kao Tao, were planning on booking for a couple more nights on the way back, although after our 1 night there we hurridly booked somewhere else, much nearer the beach/main restaurant area, which was much better value for money!!! (location for two girls travelling alone wasn't good).

Our main problem with the place, apart from the fact that there was never any staff around and it looked run down and messy, was that our room didn't have a lock on the door and when we tried to explain this to staff (after having to wake them up at 8pm, not exactly late) they were very unhelpful and acted like what we were asking for (a room with a lock) was ridiculous. we got given another room but this to had no lock, finally we got given a room with a lock and the staff member stormed off.
We had to leave at 6:30 the next morning and again there were NO member of staff around so we had to wake up someone who took the key of us and again made us feel like we were causing an inconvience.

This hotel was the only bad hotel we had in 7 weeks of travelling in South East Asia.
The sad thing is that Nid's has alot of potential as the communication we had beofre we got there was really good and Nid was very helpful but as soon as we got there it felt as though they weren't used to running a hotel!

Plenty of other places in Samui, pick one of them.

(oh and there were spiders and cockroaches in the room)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends