“Great Excursion from Marrakesch, including lunch at Richard Branson's mountain retreat”
Review of Kasbah Tamadot

Kasbah Tamadot
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Asni
Reviewed 2 March 2012

While staying in Marrakesch, last September, we asked Mohamed from 'Colours of Morocco'' (see review) to book us lunch at the Kasbah Tamadot and arrange appropriate transport with a knowledgeable driver. Previously we had heard of the Kasbah Tamadot as being 'Richard Branson's Hotel'--Deluxe, Expensive, Exclusive, Remote and with Superb Views--Situated high up in the Atlas Mountains and reached only by an interesting 50 minute scenic drive from Marrakesch, by mountain road. The road is indeed an interesting engineering triumph, with many fantastic twists & turns as it winds it way through the mountains, providing splendid panoramic views. Arriving at the hotel about 2 hours before lunch we had a leisurely stay, in perfect Autumn sunshine, looking down onto the magnificent pool. Then we had a very fine 'al fresco' lunch, preceded by perfectly prepared Martini Cocktails. On the Drive out we heard of Richard Branson's visits, of his guests and how his Mother spent time at the local Berber school. As we lunched we looked to this Berber village, tucked away in the barren desert like mountains and pondered over what Mrs Branson senior, might do at the school. Alongside us was an rather special table, awaiting diners--I suggested to my wife that it might be set for Richard Branson, Tony Blair and party--but they didn't show. Nevertheless we greatly enjoyed a splendid light lunch. Altogether a wonderful excursion--a great mountain break from the dust and bustle of Marrakesch.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank craigdarragh

Reviewed 16 February 2012

We recently spent 2 nights at Kasbah Tamadot to celebrate a major birthday. Like other Virgin Limited Edition properties it really excels on service. The staff could not be more helpful and the managers (especially Kathryn) make sure that they get to know all of their guests. We had booked a superior suite but were upgraded to a Berber Tent, perhaps because the hotel had a large corporate group staying on our first night. The tents are beautiful but would not be my first choice in the winter as it is too cold to use the plunge pool and they are some way from the main building. However we were treated like VIPs and thoroughly enjoyed our two days of luxury. Hope to return in the future.

Room Tip: Berber Tents are lovely but some distance from the main building - an advantage in the summer but pe...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KayCastleDonington
Reviewed 3 February 2012

It is a perfect location from where to explore the Atlas mountains and the rooms are beautiful as in fact is the whole place. Unfortunately the restaurants let the place down a bit.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I arrive at Kasbah Tamadot late, so I have not yet seen its natural beauty.The welcome I get at the front desk from the management is very warm indeed .The manager Vincent seems a bon viveur ,everything a good GM should be.I immediately feel good about this place.I walk through the pathway past the Grand Tent rooms,they seem well designed. I enter my room and I am greeted by a lovely perfume and a fantastic grand light hanging from the ceiling. The bed is a normal bed with bedhead and some nice cushions strewn across it. The flooring is nice and the curtains look like nomadic blankets ,as you would expect to find in a tent .The rest of the furniture is remarkable in how unremarkable it is.I would expect a 100 euro a night place to be furnished like this,not a hotel that has just won an award as the best small luxury hotel in Africa. I have seen much nicer light switches at IKEA.The bedside ones have selllotape with the word bedside running across,The bathroom is basic,a shower cubicle you would expect to find in a student apartment .A horrible rug partly hiding ugly tiles. There is dirt on the floor behind the curtains and on the mantel beneath the bathroom mirror, this place is actually unclean.
The worst thing though is that the bathroom and bedroom are separated by a half wall and the toilet is in the middle of that bathroom, so if you go with your partner, they will hear every one of your bowel noises and can happily singalong. The toilet even has an ugly toiletbrush in a glassholder next to it, maybe if you take it out and bang it against the wall it will override the ablution soundtrack. The shower is strange,five minutes after I use it it lets out water dripping onto the floor.
I feel embarrassed writing this ,but this place is a shock to the system,sorry Sir Richard,but your name carries this place, thankfully your airline is much nicer.
As I leave my room I struggle to lock the door,the lock is cheap and nasty.There is an North African night at the restaurant, it is standard family hotel buffet,and is unfortunately lukewarm . I do however order a nice Morrocan white wine.the food bill is low for a luxury hotel, but it matches the quality of the fare. The dining room is cosy ,the place has a nice feeling,but the overall product is poor.I go to bed hoping that I find something to like here tomorrow,or something that justifies the prices.

I don’t sleep well the wind rattles aganst the room,I kept thinking someone was trying to open the door.When I do open the curtains I realise why people come here.The vista of clay villages set against the snowy atlas mountains is worth the trip.

I take breakfast in the dining room, There is an uninspiring mix of Moroccan and international breakfast items. Luckily though Asni ,the location of the hotel inspires.
Before checking out I visit the rooms in the hotel.They are considerably cheaper than the tents and much nicer.I am told the hotel has some nice suites with grand terraces overlooking the mountains

Room Tip: Dont choose the tents..........
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank markwlugano
VLELondon, Managing Director at Kasbah Tamadot, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

We’re sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the Berber Tents during your recent visit. We have generally found them to be very popular with guests but of course we appreciate your feedback and have passed all comments onto the entire team to help us improve in the future.

In the meantime, we were pleased to hear you found the staff charming and hope you’ll consider returning to Kasbah Tamadot.

Kind regards
Jon Brown
Managing Director
Virgin Limited Edition

Reviewed 4 January 2012

We first visited Kasbah Tamadot for three nights at the end of January 2010 following a four day visit to Marrakech and I fell totally and utterly in love with the place. So much so that we went back for a three night stay in March and then again in May the same year.

Finances restricted our visits to only once in 2011 and we are now going back again in three weeks time to spend one night at the beautiful Riad Elfenn in Marrakech (tranquility in the heart and bustle of the medina) and two nights at Tamadot.

Anyone who has read Lost Horizon by James Hilton will recognise the Shangri-La feeling of the place. At the end of January, when the weather is usually mild enough for lunch outside, you can sit looking over the beautiful gardens and up at the snow on the Atlas Mountains and truly believe you are in paradise. I had to be literally dragged away the first time we went and only the promise of a repeat visit a few weeks later stopped me from sobbing all the way home. Overdraft? What Overdraft?

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely. Try to stay in the main house off season as the Berber tents are quite a...
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julie C
VLELondon, Managing Director at Kasbah Tamadot, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2012

We were thrilled to read your recent review of Kasbah Tamadot and therefore wanted to take this opportunity to say that we truly appreciate your comments. It’s always such a pleasure to read positive feedback and makes it all the more special when we know that we’ve enticed guests to return, in your case 5 times!

We hope your forthcoming stay at Kasbah Tamadot is equally as enjoyable and hope to welcome you at other Virgin Limited Edition properties in the future.

Kind regards
Jon Brown
Managing Director
Virgin Limited Edition

Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed here in 2010 and were captivated by the place and this year returned in 2011 with some friends. Two days before we arrived we were offered upgrades to two of the newly completed Berber tents, which are the height of luxury and privacy.

Everything about the hotel is exceptional but the most impressive thing was that several of the staff remembered us and seemed genuinely pleased to see us a year on.

It has a very special atmosphere probably because of the space, peace, views and the limited number of rooms. Never do you feel there are too many people crowded into the public areas/pool/gardens etc.

In 2010 we hired a car from the airport with the intention of taking trips out during our stay. In the end the car was parked for us on arrival and we never saw it again until we left as we enjoyed ourselves so much doing little more than totally relaxing. This year we learnt our lesson and had a car pick us up and deliver us back to the airport. There is simply no reason to want to leave the hotel. Five days there is as refreshing as two weeks in most hotels.

It is expensive, it cost us around £1,000/day by the time flights, transfers etc are taken into account but far better value for money than hotels at half the price.

We will return.

Room Tip: If you can stretch to it financially go for one of the Berber tents.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DevonFifi
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This hotel is absolutley stunning! the views are amazing. The food is fantastic and the staff are incredible. It is very expensive as Morrocan hotels go but when you arrive you will understand why. The rooms were incredible. We managed to get the little free standing room on the far end of the pool, it had its own sun terrace and had the most amazxing view of the pool and mountains. The Bedouin dinner is a must! the range of food was fantastic. Ipod dock in the rooms, full range of toiletries, dressing gown and slippers. Fresh fruit and nuts each day and cold complimentary water. Absoultely loved this hotel.

Room Tip: Request the room thats housed in its own little building.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Asni
24.9 km away
Chez Momo II
#3 of 4 in Asni
38.2 km away
Sirayane Boutique Hotel & Spa

Been to Kasbah Tamadot? Share your experiences!