“Mama Mia”

Ranked #2 of 38 Restaurants in Matamata
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2018 via mobile

After a full on day at Hobbiton we decided to have dinner in Matamata as we were on holiday with our young daughter. First impressions were perfect. It's a beautiful setting with great ambience but unfortunately for us the local hoons weren't cooperating with the restaurant that day. When we first arrived at Osteria we were quickly seen to and although we had no booking on a Friday evening the maître d'hôtel quickly seated us and our waiter promptly brought us table water and took our orders and returned with our entree. Unfortunately, that was where the exceptional service ended. Our wait staff was switched and we were left waiting for our mains for over an hour and a half whilst other patrons which arrived after us were served before us. It appeared that the locals were given priority while we were forgotten. This would not have been a major issue for us normally but with our infant daughter tired after a long day we struggled to keep her entertained long enough to be served by the waitress. In the meantime our daughter got upset and in order to settle her I had to feed her, while the staff had no issues I was made very uncomfortable by other patrons even though I was completely covered up. The food was excellent and we both enjoyed it thoroughly. It's so unfortunate about the lack of service as my husband and I were happy to have desert and more drinks and would have likely spent more money however with the time spent waiting on mains we were forced to leave for my daughter's sake. I would recommend Osteria based on the food but my husband was adamant to only give one star after the service fell flat, if you're not a local I wouldn't suggest going to this restaurant if you have a young family.

Reviewed March 10, 2018 via mobile

We are locals however our friends wanted to take us out so this was the first choice. Great food and atmosphere here. Staff very attentive and nothing was any trouble. Friends were amazed that food was this good in a small town.

Reviewed March 8, 2018 via mobile

Stopped by to grab lunch, punctual service, refreshing Peroni beer, a lovely pizza with truck loads of toppings, a chicken salad with half a chicken in it! I will return

Reviewed March 3, 2018 via mobile

We stopped off here at 7pm on a Sunday night, en route to Auckland from Taupo. Tired, hungry kids. We debated getting a pie instead as we really didn’t want to spend too much time on dinner, but the menu looked too good to resist. So glad we did! We managed to get in and out in 40 mins due to efficient, friendly service and obviously a very professional kitchen. Well done team. We sat outside and enjoyed the view of a busy, warm Matakatia evening. Food was absolutely delicious. I had spaghetti gamberi - best I’ve had in NZ. Kids spag bol was excellent too. Other kid’s Hawaiian pizza looked fine and my husband’s prosciutto pizza looked absolutely delicious in all its wood-fired glory. Large bucket of wine (moltepulciano) for $9 for me so even better. Nice touch having takeaway ice-cream so the kids were able to get a mango gelato to go (we are from Auckland obviously). Always been a fan of the Workman’s Caff in Matamata but this beats it hands down. Lucky Matamatians.....

Reviewed March 3, 2018

We had Italian food that was very good, the place was busy, we had not made a booking so had to wait for a table to become vacant.