“Great food, great service”
Review of Osteria Matamata

Osteria Matamata
Ranked #2 of 38 Restaurants in Matamata
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

The last two times we have travelled through Matamata in the evening we have stopped at this place for dinner. We always reserve a table when we leave Auckland so we know what time we are passing through. Lovely food, and service is great. Highly recommend, and recommend booking in advance.

Reviewed March 29, 2018 via mobile

We only had pizza but were completely satisfied. It was recommended to us and it appeared that was a favourite with many others. Definitely look it out for an evening, but if mid evening you may have to book.

Reviewed March 14, 2018 via mobile

After a full on day at Hobbiton we decided to have dinner in Matamata as we were on holiday with our young daughter. First impressions were perfect. It's a beautiful setting with great ambience but unfortunately for us the local hoons weren't cooperating with the restaurant that day. When we first arrived at Osteria we were quickly seen to and although we had no booking on a Friday evening the maître d'hôtel quickly seated us and our waiter promptly brought us table water and took our orders and returned with our entree. Unfortunately, that was where the exceptional service ended. Our wait staff was switched and we were left waiting for our mains for over an hour and a half whilst other patrons which arrived after us were served before us. It appeared that the locals were given priority while we were forgotten. This would not have been a major issue for us normally but with our infant daughter tired after a long day we struggled to keep her entertained long enough to be served by the waitress. In the meantime our daughter got upset and in order to settle her I had to feed her, while the staff had no issues I was made very uncomfortable by other patrons even though I was completely covered up. The food was excellent and we both enjoyed it thoroughly. It's so unfortunate about the lack of service as my husband and I were happy to have desert and more drinks and would have likely spent more money however with the time spent waiting on mains we were forced to leave for my daughter's sake. I would recommend Osteria based on the food but my husband was adamant to only give one star after the service fell flat, if you're not a local I wouldn't suggest going to this restaurant if you have a young family.

Reviewed March 10, 2018 via mobile

We are locals however our friends wanted to take us out so this was the first choice. Great food and atmosphere here. Staff very attentive and nothing was any trouble. Friends were amazed that food was this good in a small town.

Reviewed March 8, 2018 via mobile

Stopped by to grab lunch, punctual service, refreshing Peroni beer, a lovely pizza with truck loads of toppings, a chicken salad with half a chicken in it! I will return