“Great staff and good hotel”

Koulouris Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Kavos
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Stayed that the Koulouris beach and it was a great base for a good holiday.

The location is fantastic, right on the beach front, so you can enjoy breakfast looking at the sea and across to the mountains on the Greek mainland. The hotel is close enough to the main Kavos strip, which is a 10min walk along the beach, but at a distance so to be quiet for those who want to relax in the sun. The beach is wonderful and water is very clean.

The hotel has a nice pool area with plenty of sun loungers. The pool bar and food is well priced and good quality - the lady who makes the meals is very friendly and a great cook.

The staff were great and very helpful. Tom and Maria were excellent, making sure your holiday is enjoyable and issues quickly resolved. To the other reviewers who are complaining about rudeness - you should remember that if you are polite and courteous, people will respond to you in the same way.

The sister hotel - Ionian Sea View is also very good. It has an excellent restaurant - definitely worth a visit.

Thanks Tom, we hope to see you again soon!

Room Tip: Block D - rooms closest to the pool/beach
Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hk100

Reviewed 9 September 2011

We stayed at Koulouris Beach at the end of August. First impressions were not good and things only got worse. The first night we were there we were burgled and lost our phone, camera, laptop, camcorder, sunglasses and even our little girls ds game. The room was very basic. Kitchen was 2 rings which you couldnt tell were on or not. A fridge with a dodgy door. There were no cleaning products at all and the maid didnt come in for the 12 days we were there to change beds or towels. We had to buy bleach to clean the place up with and the bathroom was disgusting. The washbasin was hanging off the wall. We couldnt let our little girl use it on her own for fear of it falling on her. The toilet wouldnt flush unless you took the lid of the cistern and pulled the mechanism. There was a drain in the middle of the bathroom with no grid on it. While we were out on our balcony one day something caught my eye in the next door apartment that somebody had left the day before and there was a rat trying to get out through the door.
The place looks nothing like it does on their website, no nice green gardens or nice buildings. the place is falling apart. We enjoyed our holiday but not our stay at the hotel. Would go to Kavos again but definitley NOT Koulouris Beach.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mikekington
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Me and my friends aren't ones for writing reviews but after reading the last couple I was disgusted about what they had written and had to explain what a fantastic holiday we had.

We also got there in the middle of the night and were dropped off at the sister hotel and orignially we were anxxious, however the people who drove us to Koulouris were friendly and soon put a group of 7 girls at ease. The security guard took us to our rooms along a well lit pathway, and offered us with our bags, but there was one of him and seven of us so we turned him down.

The few niggles we did have were soon sorted by Tom, Maria, Alex and the other staff and we were always met with a welcoming smile. Nothing was too much trouble for them and we felt like a member of their family. We too had a few ants in the room, but they were soon sorted out with a bit of insect repellent!! And we'd read previous reviews so we knew we had to bring a torch.

The pool was cleaned every night so it was never dirty. A couple of windy days some leaves blew into the pool but that was about it. The food and drink was of a decent quality and they make the best milkshakes!

Overall for the price we paid we were extremely happy with what we got, and would definately return if we ever came back to kavos!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I can not really add much more than what has already been written. If you like rude unhelpful staff, rats, mosquito's, rusty fridges, dirty rooms, towels and bedding (we stayed 10 nights and they were not changed once), overpriced drinks and food,if your really lucky you may get away without being burgled. If this sounds like your perfect holiday then these apartments are for you.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Arrived in the middle of the night and were dropped off at the sister hotel Ionian View where we had to wait to be taken by minibus to Koulouris Beach. After booking in, a security guard came to take us to the room. He took off at a sprint not offering to help with any bags, I struggled to keep up as I had to navigate uneven paths in the dark. Instead of helping, the guard just coldly asked if I was ill as I couldn’t keep up! My legs were covered in bruises the next day from where they had been bashed by my suitcase.

The room. Where do I start?

We are very used to doing budget holidays; there are just the two of us so we don’t need much. All we required is a basic but properly equipped kitchen, a clean room and hot water. Sadly we didn’t get any of these.
The room was scruffy. Squashed bugs were all over the walls, ceiling and windows. The ‘kitchen’ and bathroom were generally dirty, and we had a colony of ants happily living with us. Every corner contained a combination of mildew and spider webs. There was a ‘cleaner’ who came 3 times in two weeks but all she did was sweep the floor and empty the bins – tasks which we were doing ourselves anyway. The last time she came in was on day 7 to change the sheets/towels and we didn’t see her at all the second week.
We were told that we would be supplied with one roll of toilet paper and after that we had to buy our own. However we didn’t get any. The man on reception told us he didn’t know where they were kept so we would have to do without until 10am the next morning!
Towels and bedding were only changed once a week, in such a hot climate this was simply not enough. The towels were tiny, old, and tatty and having to ‘ration’ them was ridiculous. Bedding was just a cotton sheet, which would have been ok but as we selected air con we were freezing on a night.
The air con gets switched on and that’s it. You have no control over it, so you are either too hot or too cold. In order to turn it off you had to take your key out of the slot which meant no power at all.
Hot water was very ‘hit and miss’. On the whole we didn’t have much, but when it worked it was great!
The shower didn’t hang up, so you had to hold it over your head. The shower area was tiny. If you tried to bend to wash your legs you either bumped the toilet which was loose or banged your head! The bathroom was designed as a wet room but the floor was uneven so the water didn’t flow to the drain. Consequently the floor remained wet and we had to buy a mop.
We go self catering as we enjoy cooking our own food, (even if this is mainly breakfasts), but this was practically impossible. There was no bench space to prepare food and very few pans/utensils to be able to do anything. The only table and chairs you got were outside due to the room being so small. This was a problem as you were plagued with wasps/ants (some rooms also got rats) during the day and mosquitoes during the night.

Pool area.

The sun lounger area was quite small and surrounded by trees. This lead to a lot of shade and mosquitoes.
The pool was dirty and it gradually got worse as the holiday went on to the point where it was green and totally unhygienic.

Bar

A fairly decent range of drinks but it was expensive in comparison with the bars in the town.
We didn’t try the food so I can’t comment on that.
The bar (and pizza service) was supposed to be 24/7 however for the last 6 days of the holiday it closed from about 11pm.

The one good thing about this hotel was its location. It was right on the beach, so you could leave the manky pool behind and swim in a beautiful warm clean sea. It was also far enough away from the main town so you could get some sleep on a night time.

Walking into the town via the beach was the quickest way taking about 10 mins, or you could go via roads which took about 20mins. You needed a torch (or phone with light) for either journey.

As this hotel was shutting down for the end of the season, we were moved to the sister hotel for our last two nights. This looked much better at first glance with a nice pool and big room, but it was still scruffy. We arrived when the cleaners were actually finishing off the room but when we went in it just looked like they had mopped the floor and nothing else. The kitchen area was disgustingly dirty and the fridge didn’t shut properly. In fact the door didn’t even have a proper seal. Dead bugs decorated the walls once more. But at least we had hot water and a proper bathroom.

The day we were leaving we had to be out of the room by 10am, which was crazy in a town that doesn’t wake up until noon! It was the end of season so nobody was going to be filling our room but in order to keep it the charge was 30euros - extortionate. There were facilities to wash/change before getting picked up, but the showers flooded the whole wash area and created a complete health hazard. The cubicles were also full of the now ubiquitous mosquitoes.

We won’t be going back!

One last thing, I did check out the website for the hotel and it looks wonderful. I feel completely duped as we did not get what I thought we had paid for. This hotel has just been left to go to rack and ruin, its owners clearly do not care about it at all.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank missmicra
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I have been meaning to write this review now for a while. I never normally write reviews, in fact this is the first review I've written of anywhere I've been. I had such a good time though I feel I owe it to Tom and Maria (the extremely friendly and accommodating owners) to quickly blast out a review of the Koulouris Beach Hotel. As the name suggests the hotel is right on the beach and to be greeted with the views across the sea towards mainland Greece is a fantastic first impression!

As far as the hotel is concerned it is exactly what you would expect. The rooms are basic, decent enough shower and bathroom and a functional kitchen. However I didn't come to Kavos to spend time cooking in my room so that's not really something that finds itself high on my agenda. I noticed a few people mentioning having to pay extra for air conditioning. This is the same anywhere, air conditioning is always extra and so these people are either used to 5* accommodation or have never been abroad before!

Kavos itself is only a 10 minute walk up the beach which in my opinion is ideal. Far enough away so that you don't spend your entire day listening to quad bikes and mopeds razzing up and down but still close enough that it's only a short journey from the hotel before you arrive on the strip. In fact the 10 minute walk down the beach every night made it better, especially since I found €20 just floating about on the sand! Ideal!

The pool area is good. Music plays through the speakers around the pool and the drinks at the bar are reasonably priced. There's multicoloured cocktails at the bar too if that's your vibe. We ate at the hotel on a few occasions which is obviously really convenient and the prices and speed at which the food is served only adds to its convenience. If you do decide to eat out I'd recommend the 'Golden Courser', 'Tex-Mex' or 'TKD's' However all three of those don't come particularly cheap so combining those with some nights spent eating at the hotel is the way I'd go.

The final thing I would say about this hotel is the people there. The owners and other guests make this a hotel worth going to. The hotel is for young groups of people who intend on staying up late, waking up late and spending money at the bar. If you are looking for something a bit quieter, perhaps if you are a couple then I can recommend taking a look at the Ionian Sea View Hotel which is nearby. http://www.ionianseaview.com/

The hotel staff and in particular, Tom, Maria, Leo and Neri are all very friendly, helpful and will go out of their way to help you if they can. I would highly recommend this hotel to any young group of people who want to go out to Kavos and have a good time. I would certainly go back again!

Steven.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Steven S
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Ignore the bad reviews, we loved this hotel. Nice staff, good food onsite and a very clean pool and giant jacuzzi. Id like to return here next year. Rooms were clean and all staff very friendly.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Yianny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kavos
0.5 km away
29.4 km away
Ariti Grand Hotel
Ariti Grand Hotel
#3 of 5 in Kanoni

Been to Koulouris Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!