“Wonderful Place”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bagno a Ripoli
Anchorage AK
“Wonderful Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

We just got back from Italy and we stayed at the Villa Olmi for 4 days. Too bad it was early Spring because the hotel grounds are beautiful with olive trees and vineyards. I'm sure it is very impressive when everything is in bloom. We had a car to visit the local area and to visit Florence we used the shuttle which works out fine for day trips. My only complaint would be for them to run a shuttle at night so you could walk or eat in Florence at night and then ride back to the hotel. The taxis run about 20-35 euros one way at night.

Room Tip: Garden rooms each have their own wonderful private area with lounge chairs, swing, table and chairs...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank GJKAnchorageAK
resortfi, Direttore generale at Villa Olmi Firenze, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear Guest,
thank you so much for taking the time to review Villa Olmi Resort.

We appreciate our customer's feedback, and any further suggestion is always well accepted in order to improve our service.

We really hope to welcome you again, maybe during the summer when our century park is full of beauty.

Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Booked this hotel because we needed a base that was close to Florence with a car park. We went for a double room, but was upgraded to a junior suite which was an amazing surprise. Hotel was very clean, staff courteous. Peaceful location with nicely kept grounds. Local bus gets you to city center in 20mins, courtesy shuttle goes twice a day. We had a fabulous stay and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Would stay here again:)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pinkshark
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I have been to Florence many times but definitely saw Florence in a new light. Normally I would have stayed in the center and ejoyed the beautiful network of cobbled streets revealing restaurant after restaurant that served stunning food and have the option of exploring Tuscanny by day buy driving in and out of Florence, which depending on the time of day can be easy or taxing. But staying at Villa Olmi allowed me to escape the crowd to a room that made me feel I was staying in a different century yet with all the modern comforts. My wife and I stayed in one of the Junior Suits which had our jaws hanging open the minute we entered with the high ceilings, beautifully furnished room that had a lounge area 4 poster bed and a bathroom fit for royalty. In every city center in Italy you will always sacrifice space for convenience which i am normally happy with but after staying at Villa Olmi I never will again while in Florence as it is sensational with such perfect immediate access to autostradas on your doorstep and easy commute/drive into the center in the evenings. Also, incredibly affordable for what you get. Bravo!!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a suite. Just do it!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
San Dimas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Great service, great rooms, great decor, great breakfast !!!

Bad:
1. you can hear everything with adjacent rooms-we moved at 3 am because we could hear neighbors making love !! The flooring is ceramic and you can hear people walk !!
2. location requires a car. there were two free shuttles to city..10 am and 5 pm. cabs are expensive.
3. beds are like 6 feet under-- "concrete"..

Would I stay there again --- yes - during off season!!

Room Tip: The price off season was superb !!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank kkapadia
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

While I wouldn't recommend Villa Olmi for those just looking to explore Florence (stay in the city center!), this resort makes an excellent base for those with a car who want to explore the Tuscan countryside.

PROS:
* Very spacious & well-maintained property. Pools, lovely gardens, a jogging trail...
* Located right off the highway, so very easy to find. Plenty of parking.
* Very good restaurant. Dinner was excellent. Also a very plentiful breakfast with eggs, bacon, toast, and fruits.
* Price was right. We paid €120/night (note: it was low season) and got a very spacious room with a jacuzzi tub, beautiful canopy bed, and separate seating/changing area. Free WiFi.

CONS:
The location can be a positive or negative depending on your goals. This is NOT the right place to stay if you don't have a car. While the hotel does run a shuttle into the Florence city center (it's about a 15-minute drive, figure €8-10/hr for parking in the center), it was only scheduled to run 4-5 times per day (at least during the off-season).

This location could be fantastic though for people looking to explore the Tuscan countryside. The Villa makes a good base to visit towns like Siena, Arezzo, etc. and it's nice to be just a quick drive from Florence.

Room Tip: The superior rooms are very spacious. Ours came with a huge bathroom complete with a jacuzzi tub!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rtr2008
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

This review can be seen as severe but we have spent 10 days in Villa Olmi for the 2nd stop of our Honey moon and we still cannot believe how poor the front desk help was for a 5 stars +.

It started when we arrived after a very long drive and my husband needed an instant of privacy before to have the exhaustive tour of the main building. He asked the front desk lady, who was already telling us about the library and collections..., for the bathrooms and she understood that we wanted to book a table in the restaurant (what??...). We accepted the offer but insisted on getting to the toilets first. And she finally get our point, but her level in english was quite poor.

Other example, we had taken our 2 golf sets to have a 18 wholes in Toscana with cyprus and olive trees around us... We asked the front desk for help and the only help we get was a leaflet of a nice golf nearby, and they told us to contact them directly to see the availabilities... We were stunned and we get back to our room with still the mouth opened.

I'm perhaps wrong and expecting too much but when I ask the front desk for an esthetic appointment, I expect them to ask me for details about treatment, availabilities and room number to call me and give me a time slot for treatment. Well, that was the same lady with poor english and she started to open a phone book in front of me to call estheticians to see if they could come to the hotel. She could not reach the 2 first ladies she called while I was still waiting and asked me to call her one hour later to get the information if it's possible or not. I was stewing inside but still I accept and called one hour later. ¨no more news, call me in one hour", "and what about you calling me when you know???", "yes surrre madam".

That was the 3 bad experiences we had in 10 days but giving the standing, the price and the ranking of the hotel, it was at least 2 too much!!

The junior suite we had in the Villa was stunning, gorgeous, I could not dream of one more beautiful.
The lunch and dinner we had in the hotel restaurant were really good and the red wine of the hotel (I don't remember the name and year but it is specially made for =villa Olmi) was really good too.
The resort is more a hotel because except from the pool in the garden which is not extensively large you don't have any other entertainment (no gym, no courses, no nothing).
It's not directly in Florence (10 minutes by car to city center), so better come by car or rent one to discover the beauty of Toscana.
However it is a little paradise apart from Florence crowd and more visited by families with grown ups than kids and babies.

I would say to balance the review, I have loved the place but please change some of your reception staff or train then to get the level of your standing otherwise I would not recommend the place for it's service.

Room Tip: Junior suite in the villa, not with small gardens, you will then be places around the swimming pool.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mathilde_camus
Winter Park, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Villa Olmi Hotel in Florence is a great place to stay if visiting Florence while driving in Italy. The price was a bargain in January for a five star resort. They have free parking, Internet, free breakfast and a free shuttle into Florence to avoid parking in the city and dinner in the hotel is fabulous. I booked through Expedia which worked out great.

Room Tip: Resort is a few miles outside of the city which is great if you are driving and is easy to find
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
San Lorenzo
Palazzo Castri 1874
Palazzo Castri 1874
#5 of 421 in Florence

Been to Villa Olmi Firenze? Share your experiences!