“Great place, great memories, totally recommend”
Review of Casa la Siesta

Casa la Siesta
london
“Great place, great memories, totally recommend”
Reviewed 2 September 2011

We loved Casa la Siesta. They totally understand how to create the type of holiday we like..luxury in a very understated way, great food, excellent customer service, great rooms. We enjoyed going into Vejer one night (although the recommendation for a tapas place on the casa's brochure was probably not the best..and the 15eur taxi ride each way a little steep). But, overall a great great start to our honeymoon. We could see ourselves booking the whole place out for a long weekend with a group of friends..Loved the beer and soft drinks on tap. Perhaps may consider varying breakfast a little for people staying for longer.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jrca

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
UK
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Casa La Siesta was apparently renovated using a high proportion of salvaged items. This certainly gives it a somewhat antique feel, so don’t expect fancy wardrobes or smoothly running drawers. In that respect, La Siesta is not luxury.

The staff are excellent – always ready to help with any request you night have. The front of house staff all speak English. Housekeeping staff don’t speak English, but are also friendly and helpful.

The food is very good, if not in the Michelin bracket. We would have liked at least one typically Spanish dish per dinner. Though everything we were offered was very good, we could just as easily have been in any other country.

The wine list is not extensive, but is well-chosen, and there seemed to be something for all tastes. Plenty of unusual ones to extend your wine education.

Both the dinner (40 euro) and the wines are priced at the upper end, but not unreasonably so. But I suspect that if you are considering this place, your budget is not tight.

The gardens around the house are interesting. The area around the pool has been well laid out, with secluded sections where you can be on your own. In fact, with only seven rooms you are never going to feel crowded at La Siesta. Afternoons can be specially restful, when half the guests are away exploring and you can feel as if you have the whole place to yourself.

A suite at the end of the building is described as “La Casita” (the Little House). I had noticed this on the website and, because of the name, had assumed it was a separate building, but it isn’t. The people who were staying there showed us round the ground floor (kitchen/dining, sitting room, laundry). All very nice, with widescreen satellite TV and DVD and many books. They had their own pool and garden. They seemed content, but I see the website describes it as perfect for “couples wishing to enjoy the ultimate in privacy”. I can’t say I agree with that description, as people going up an external stairway could see every bit of their “private” garden and pool!

Talking of the website, note that it does not distinguish between “facilities” that are permanently available (e.g the pool), available immediately (e.g. airport transfers), or available only when booked ahead (e.g. yoga, massage). If one of these is important to you, get it organised beforehand.

Overall, the great strength of this place is the air of hospitality. For example, when you are lazing about in the garden there is complimentary self-service water, soft drinks and beer available. If you want wines or spirits, they are also available, and you just write down what you have taken. All very civilised.

An excellent if rather idiosyncratic little hotel. I’d certainly recommend it without hesitation, though I wouldn’t pay extra for the Casita.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sp33dbird
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Absolutely loved it. Stayed 3 nights in June for wedding anniversary/40th birthday celebration and it was perfection. After about 3 hours we were so relaxed that it felt as though we had been away or a month. Stayed in the casita which is beautiful and has its on pool. Gorgeous food, fantastic staff, magical place. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Crunchmonky
Montreal
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I have been to many hotels around the world, and I would probably have to say this was probably my favourite...ever. Lee and his wife created such a unique experience; it really is rustic luxury. I went with my boyfriend and another couple, and we really went out of our way to stay at this hotel (we took a flight to Sevilla from Barcelona, took the train, and then a 45 minute cab ride) so our expectations were pretty high. It was all that we hoped for and more.

The rooms are gorgeous, filled with a mix of modern and antique pieces, a huge shower, and the most comfy bed ever! The linens and pillows were all top quality. We had a balcony over looking the courtyard, pool and rolling hills. At night time, they provided a wonderful turn-down service where they lit candles, provided cold water bottles and prepared the bed.

The food at this hotel was outstanding. Because it was alittle expensive for us, my boyfriend and I would each get a lunch for 12 euros each, and then split the four course dinner (40 euros for both of us). They were really happy to do this for us and it was still more than enough food. Everything is prepared fresh, and the menu is written on a chalkboard in the morning. One of the employees (Jan I believe), makes fresh bread in the morning and it might just be the best bread I have ever eaten! We couldnt get enough. The breakfast was also really special. Everything is nicely presented, and they would bring fresh eggs from the neighbouring farm, yoghurt with fresh fruit and granola, cheese and homemade jams. Perfection. Another wonderful touch (and we couldn't believe this at first), is that there is a beer draft in the courtyard, and you can drink unlimited beer at any time of day!

This place is extremely romantic, and besides a short day trip to Vejer, we did not leave the property at all. I don't really recommend planning exercusions either, you'll understand why when you get there! Its so beautiful and the pool is wonderful, you don't want to leave. I got a Thai massage while I was there which was also great, albeit a little expensive.

I know for some people this hotel would be considered expensive, but this place is worth every penny. We saved up and were happy we stayed 3 nights! It was an experience we will never forget.

Lee mentioned that they are thinking of expanding the business and creating other Casa la Siestas around the world. I hope they do; they will be very successful, because I think they have reached the right price point. The service, the rooms and the outstanding attention to detail make this truly a hidden gem in Europe.
Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them!:)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2011

This is a lovely place. Our room was large and carefully appointed. The bed was big and comfy. There's a gorgeous, warm pool and the guest spaces are created with great thought.

I would recommend it, but it might not suit everyone, partly as it was an almost entirely unSpanish experience. Also we didn't meet or see the owners. We didn't therefore experience the passionate service other guests have described. Don't get me wrong. The service was friendly and helpful but more 'employee' than owner/host.

• Stayed July 2011
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2011

What a fantastic place! If only all holidays could be such a success!
The design is beautiful, food outstanding and host (lee) charming.
We went to the beach one day but decided we missed the hotel too much so didn't venture out too much after that.
Go go go! But beware, you may never want to leave...

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank JessicaF_10
London
Reviewed 10 July 2011

My best mate had his wedding here in June and we were lucky enough to stay in one of the nicest rooms (room 3) for 4 nights. The wedding was amazing, but the whole experiemce was simply excellent. Lee and Amelia, the English couple who run the placed, are wonderful hosts and have such a great attention in everything they do. The rooms are stunning, the food was all organic and fresh and the grounds are very calming. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a chilled getaway, with a premium service and great weather (albeit a little windy at times).

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vejer de la Frontera
4.2 km away
5.5 km away
Hotel V
Hotel V
#3 of 21 in Vejer de la Frontera

Been to Casa la Siesta? Share your experiences!