“Enjoyed a quick getaway”

Bayview Wildwood Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Severn Bridge
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Decided to give it a try through a "WagJag" deal, and it was well worth the trip, even in the off-season. About 2 1/2 hours from home but a nice drive. When we arrived, the fireplace room we had requested was not available for the first night (Sunday) but we could probably have one for the second night (Monday). Apparently MANY other people had taken advantage of the deal too, and had checked in before us. The front desk staff were friendly, efficient and very nice.
The first room was okay - nothing special but fine. Took a walk around the grounds - outdoor pool closed for the season but looked good; indoor pool and whirlpool were very nice; games room with pool table and other games; squash court; basketball room; fitness room; kayaks and canoes available; maps for trail walks; piano in the main lodge lounge. The dining room had large windows overlooking the lake to watch the beautiful sunset. Dinner was well prepared and quite tasty - the sweet potato soup was amazing! The staff was very attentive without being intrusive.
Yes, there were trains that went by in the night not too far away. The resort was built as a train depot originally and is still on the route. That's part of its history. I didn't really find it very disturbing.
The breakfast buffet was quite extensive and substantial. If anyone left hungry, it was their own fault.
The OPP museum was not far away, so we spent a couple of hours there, before going to Casino Rama. Didn't win but had fun.
For our second night, we were moved to a fireplace room (actually a 2 bedroom suite). A real wood burning fireplace in front of the bed. A quiet, cozy evening.
All together, a very nice weekend away and we would like to return sometime.

Room Tip: Ask for the fireplace but get there early. Or cottages nearer the water are further from the trains...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dianne2338, General Manager at Bayview Wildwood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2011

We are happy that you enjoyed your October visit to our resort! We offered a deal through Jaunt to introduce the resort to new customers. It is very satisfying to our resort management and staff when a new guest enjoys their first visit enough to consider returning.

We hope to host you at our resort again soon...

Reviewed 28 November 2011

We went up for a weekend in November and this is such a charming resort! It's 2 hours from downtown Toronto. We stopped in Orillia on the way up and also drove to Gravenhurst - the resort is between the two towns. The staff were really friendly and welcoming. There is an indoor pool! We didn't realize there was and didn't bring out bathing suits.

We had a suite facing the lake and beach. The fireplace made for a cozy afternoon. I enjoyed the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom too - very relaxing.

Best of all: THE FOOD. Amazing. We didn't know what to expect and we were blown away by the dinner we had in Echo Dining Room. We would make the drive up again just for a taste of that delicious food.

The only downfalls: trains in the night...right outside our bedroom window - woke us up a few times. However, we forgot all about it the next day and thought fondly of the resort and the staff. I ordered a glass of wine at dinner and got a HUGE glass of wine. I was pleased until the bill came - I was given a 9 oz glass (I wasn't asked if that's what I wanted) and it was $15 + tax + tip. When I asked about it the bartender said I could "fill in a comment card because everyone complains about the wine prices." What she should do is ask if you want 6 or 9 oz upfront. Not a big deal though.

I've been recommending this resort to everyone. It's a real gem. A fun little get-a-way. Feels like something out of Dirty Dancing. :)

Room Tip: The bedding and beds are very comfy. Take ear plugs.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sandybeach70

Thank you so much for visiting our resort and referring us to your friends. For over 110 years, the cornerstone of our resort has been our return guests and the friends and family they refer to us.

I am sorry you were not given a size choice for your wine and we will direct our staff to ensure this is not overlooked in the future.

We look forward to hosting you again...

Reviewed 7 November 2011

My husband and I have been to the Bayview Wildwood several times in the off season. It has always been a welcoming spot and we appreciate the beautiful walks when we do not have to contend with mosquitoes. October or even November have been great months to visit and we can also take advantage of the lower rates. The restaurant has a beautiful view over the lake and offers buffet breakfast on the weekend. I recommend the meal package so there is no need to leave the resort. I recommend this resort to anyone who likes a place that is welcoming, clean and friendly. It is only an hour from the GTA yet feels like a real escape from the bustle of the city.

Room Tip: Balsam has a great view over the lake and has a fireplace for those cooler evenings.
4  Thank lovetotravel876

We are happy that you enjoyed your fall retreat at our resort! I also enjoy the quiet mornings in October and November. I remind myself to take a moment in the morning, walk out into the dining room and view the mist on the lake.

We look forward to hosting you again soon...

Dianne

Reviewed 19 October 2011

I was so excited about spending 3 nights at this lovely resort which has wonderful amenities, lovely rooms and friendly staff. Unfortunately, what I wasn't told was that freight trains run through their property all through the night and during the day. The tracks ran within 150 feet of my bedroom and literally shook the room. On my first and last night at the resort, I counted 9 trains between 12:30 am and early morning. Each train took between 5 and 10 minutes to pass by my window, honking its horn and screeching along the tracks. As lovely as it is, at the water's edge, there is nothing tranquil or peaceful about this location. After being up all night, I went to the front desk and their response to my train inquiry was they were quite aware of it. They allowed me to cancel the second and third night of my stay and they refused to give me a full or partial refund for my sleepless night. They invited me to spend the rest of the day and use their facilities. FYI: Ear plugs won't help!

10  Thank Trish F
Dianne2338, General Manager at Bayview Wildwood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our resort. As we strive to provide wonderful vacations and getaways for our guests, we are always saddened when we do not accomplish our goal. We are very sorry that your sleep was disturbed while you were here and your mini-getaway was cut short.

As the 5th generation Stanton who now operates this resort, I applaud my ancestors who gave up their land in the early 1900's to the railroad to bring tourists to Sparrow Lake. Our small tourist village would not be here and thriving without this decision being made.

Our resort is very fortunate to have a 60% repeat/referral rate due to us providing a resort experience that provides natural beauty, fun activities, lakeside dining and friendly staff. While we cannot change certain facets of our resort, we do continually strive to improve the areas we can affect.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

Just returned from a lovely night at this resort and have mostly positive reviews to report. The moment we walked in we were warmly greeted by the receptionist. She was extremely friendly and helpful. Next we went to our room which I found to be rustic and cozy. It really gave me the true cottage country experience. My only complaint was that our tv only had 3 channels and the internet was down.
We then enjoyed the use of their pool and hot tub and were glad that we had the area to ourselves. We took a peek at the gym and were quite satisfied with their equipment as well
Now for those who complained about the trains passing through- we barely heard them and they were nowhere near the disturbance which they were made out to be. However, we were in one of the cottages facing the lake so your best bet would to request one of these if you're concerned about the noise.
Overall this was a great getaway and we will definitely return!

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow as theirs are quite uncomfortable
3  Thank angieToronto_Ontario

Thank you for visiting our resort this Fall! We appreciate your positive comments about our staff, cottages and the activities available to you.

We apologize for the TV channel situation - we switched from the TV tower signal to digital recently. We have 16 channels operational now (much better than 2-3!). Our internet service is sometimes a challenge in our location - so sorry that you had a "internet down" time.

We hope that you will visit us again soon and thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us.

All the best,

Reviewed 7 October 2011

From the front desk check-in to the waterfront/recreation director to the employees in the dining room, Bayview Wildwood's staff sets the tone for a relaxing stay at their rustic Muskoka resort.
This resort is not new, so the rooms are a bit tired in decor and furnishings, but think "cottage" and it all comes into perspective. Spread across several buildings on a large, lakefront property, Bayview Wildwood can accommodate over 200 guests, but is unlikely to feel crowded.
So much to do there on an autumn get-away that we extended our stay by one night. Basketball, table tennis, swimming pool, hot tub, a pontoon boat ride around the lake, an orientation walk with staff and a 2.5 hour hike on a well marked trail on the Canadian Shield broke up our reading and relaxing time.
Many guests were kayaking or canoeing on the calm lake, even in early October.
The buffet breakfast included two types of eggs, potatoes, french toast or pancakes, bacon, sausage, yogurt, many fruits, cereals, breads (even croissants!) juices, and on some days, an omelet station. For lunch, all we needed was a bowl of soup from the takeout menu.
Dinner offered 4 appetizers, 4 entrees and 4 or 5 desserts. There was a new menu each day.
Highlights? Wholewheat raviolli stuffed with mushrooms and on another night, beef tenderloin with sundried tomatoes and blue cheese.
We parked the car on Monday and drove away on Thursday. No need to leave the resort for food or activities.
This was our first visit, and we will likely return next year.

1  Thank packingandunpacking

Thank you so much for visiting with us this Fall. We appreciate your comments on our staff service, food and beverage offerings and recreation activities. We hope that the weather cooperated while you were here!

We hope that you will visit us again, perhaps to see what the other seasons offer on Sparrow Lake.

All the best,

Reviewed 5 October 2011

I`m not writing this to focus on the obvious inequities of this "resort complex" because that is so subjective and represents only my personal viewpoint.
However before I move on to my main focus, be advised of the following. (1) You are a captive audience... the nearest choice for alternative dining is a 25 minute drive.. Dinner for 2 which was "excellent by the way", won`t leave you much from a $100 bill, after an appetizer, main course,desert,coffee, tip and taxes. Oh and don`t forget, lunch and breakfast costs as well. (2) The resort is located at the south end of Sparrow Lake which is predominately the leeward end... it is weedy, algae ridden and not very pretty. (3) The tv reception provides 1 channel + a single video feed of old movies from the main office. Apparently the switch from analog to digital still is not completed, even after 10 months of working on it..(the tv`s are so old, they are almost the original RCA`s (4) If you pick an upgraded suite with a fireplace you are provided with 1 paper log... additionals are $4.00 ea...... so come prepared.
(5) The staff is their biggest asset... "kudo`s to them", the waitresses, front desk, chef and kitchen staff work darn hard and are great. (6) The long and large dining room accommodates a lot of people in the only 6-7 pm eating timetable... the ambiance is just a cut above cafeteria dining... no candles , no dimming of the overhead bright pot lights....

I will move on to the main focus of my review....... PETTICOAT JUNCTION ...2011 STYLE

Apparently this is the 4 th generation of this family owned property/resort. Purchased in 1884 by Mr. and Mrs.Thomas Stanton...a few years later, Mr. Stanton in his wisdom, gave some of the property to the railroad to entice visitors to the area and to visit the resort. However in 1955 the railroad station was torn down.
And guess what you have today...... THE "MAIN LINE" FOR CNR`s FREIGHT TRAINS RUNNING ACROSS OUR GREAT NATION FROM COAST TO COAST,,, IN FACT THERE ARE TWO SETS OF TRACKS TO ENABLE FREIGHT TO MOVE IN BOTH DIRECTIONS AT THE SAME TIME.... THESE ARE MONSTER FREIGHTERS... I COUNTED TRAINS WITH 10 POWERED ENGINES IN TANDEM, PULLING APPROX 150 RAIL CARS AND TRAVELING PAST THE RESORT AT ABOUT 80 KMS PER HOUR.
This is no longer the steam powered "Hooterville Cannon Ball Express on it`s journey to the Shady Rest Hotel.
Have you ever heard the noise of 10 engines pulling 150 rail cars with steel wheels on steel rails.... well you will, if you stay there, because some guest lodging buildings are a mere 50 feet from the tracks....... and yes these Monster Freighters run 24hrs... 7 days a week, and frequently. My wife and I had the special experience of having 2 trains cross in the night at 2:30 am ( one heading west and one heading east).... we awoke afraid for our lives... thought the world was coming to an end... If one of those rail cars ever jumped the track it would wipe out the whole resort and everyone with it.
Now the owners have been proactive and no longer does the CNR blow the whistle when approaching the lodge area..... isn`t that just great. ( must have been some special wheeling and dealing done there)... we did notice where the tracks cross the road leading into the property...... drop down protective gates.

IN SUMMARY:
So much for a nice peaceful visit to the southern shield of the Muskokas. Unless you are either totally deaf or a real "Casey Jones" fan.....avoid this place like the plague.
Save up a little more money for your Muskoka getaway and pick a resort that represents what this area is really about. Do your due diligence....... I wish we had.
This resort may not see a 5 th generation of ownership.
It is BWR vs CNR ..... and guess who is going to win....

Room Tip: Don`t go there... period
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank suebill92
Dianne2338, General Manager at Bayview Wildwood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2011

Thank you for sharing your views on our resort. I am certainly glad that you enjoyed your dinner in our Echo's Dining Lounge and the customer service you received from our staff throughout the resort. We do apologize that your overall resort stay did not provide you with a pleasant experience.

After 25 years of having TV service provided from an antennae, we had to switch over to digital. This process took much longer and was more painful than expected. As such, we had clients, such as yourselves, who were caught "in between" the old and new system. We sincerely apologize for this. We now have the new digital system in place with 16 channels available to our guests.

As the 5th generation Stanton who now operates this resort, I have a true appreciation for my ancestors who gave up their land in the early 1900's to bring tourists to Sparrow Lake by rail. Our small tourist village would not be here and thriving without this decision being made.

My best regards,

Christie's Mill Inn and Spa
#2 of 4 in Port Severn
23.1 km away
Best Western Plus Mariposa Inn & Conference Centre

Been to Bayview Wildwood Resort? Share your experiences!