All reviews ionian emerald pool bar half board jacuzzi bath minute walk hotel is spotless five star hotel sea view hotel restaurant deluxe room lovely quality small hotel sister hotel peak season sea front plenty of sunbeds a great week
Reviewed October 27, 2017

This is simply the worst "five star" resort/hotel, I have had the displeasure to stay at... ever. Despite various things that are fundamentally wrong with the hotel (to follow), you feel completely ripped off, when you find the guests at the two star hotel across the road are permitted to use the facilities.
The hotel is situated about 20 minutes walk along the sea front from Sami town centre, where virtually all the restaurants are to be found. It appears the bridge over a stinky festering stream has been condemned and closed, and has been opened up unofficially as alternate access to the town is via the main road.
The hotel has no entertainment at all which is very poor for a five star. This doesn't overly bother me as I like to get out and about anyway but for those that like facilities around them you will find this hotel and surrounding area to be a ghost town.
The wi-fi radio reach around the hotel is appalling, when you do finally find a decent signal that doesn't repeatedly drop out, the actual internet speed is slow. If you are considering using this hotel for business, I struggle to see how that would be viable in the 21st century.
The hotel room was light and airy, with a very large balcony area. The sealant around the bath was compromised that caused the floor to flood. I assume that is also the cause of the other side of the wall (bedroom area) to become damp/damaged (see photos). The balcony glass was broken (see photos), I don't have young children so not a concern for me, but this should be fixed. The doorbell cover was missing, exposing the wiring (hopefully low voltage), not quite sure what the other organic matter is in there faeces or chrysalis. See photo - you decide.
Fortunately, for food I only had to suffer the breakfast. The selection was weak and some items (e.g. bacon) were cold every day. Neither of the following bother me, but for completeness as I know some people are sticklers for 'correctness', the staff are casually dressed (trainers) and this is the only "5 star" hotel where I have had to go find my own coffee.
The staff are not welcoming, although they will complete simple tasks with an unfriendly approach, like replace toilet rolls, shower gel, etc. Which should have been sorted by the cleaning staff.
Simply awful. Avoid at all costs.

6  Thank RayJ805
Reviewed October 25, 2017

We visited this hotel for 2 weeks during September. We enjoyed Kefalonia and our stay at the ‘Ionian Emerald’ which sits in a wonderful location with great views of Sami and beyond.
There is plenty to like about the hotel but many things which could be improved to make it a true 5 star. We had a nice room on the top floor with a great sea view. It was always kept clean and had a well stocked fridge which was handy whilst a bit expensive. The shower was over the bath – not a problem, but the shower head is only suitable if you are small in stature.
We booked half board. The food served was very good – no complaints. It was al-carte and we were well looked after by the waiting staff. However on our booking form it stated ‘Evening meal can be exchanged for lunch upon request’. When I asked at reception about the change we were told they would only allow it once. I showed her our booking form and was abruptly told ‘upon request’ meant ‘If we allow it.’ The hotel would have been saving money allowing us a cheap lunch against a 4 course meal. Where is your customer service ‘Ionian’. ? Therefore I would recommend going bed & breakfast only as there are plenty of good cheap restaurants locally.
Breakfasts could be better. There was often a lack of decent fruit and I had to request eggs to be fried on a number of occasions. There was no sign of the chef most of the time. Somebody cooking fresh omelettes would be a good addition. Lunch at the pool side bar was good.
Others have touched on the subject of allowing residents from the hotel ‘Athina’ opposite to use all the hotel facilities, this wasn’t a problem to be honest as there were always plenty of sunbeds available, but the principle sticks in the throat. Apparently the 2 hotels are owned by the same people. While it might be good business for the ‘Athina’ I would guess it isn’t for the ‘Ionian’.
Would I go back to the ‘Ionian’ – maybe if I am feeling flush or they make a few small changes.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a High floor
2  Thank SKSINCLAIR
Reviewed October 13, 2017

We just come back from a week Holiday in This Hotel, we arrived and were greeted with a smile, and our suitcases were taken to our room, first impression the room was lovely spacious and spotlessly clean, there was slippers and a towelling dressing gown, the bathroom was well equipped with toiletries ,there was a Jacuzzi with I used and was very relaxing, we had clean towels and clean bedding everyday, there was a coffee and tea facility but need to bring your own tea etc., there was a fridge which was very handy, also there was a safe but my only concern was the safe was not fitted to the wall and was moveable, which surprised us. Our room was overlooking the pool and the a lovely view of the Aegean sea
the Pool was lovely with plenty of sun beds and Parasols and bar meals were available.
The Staff were very pleasant especially Nicos the waiter in the dinning room nothing was too much trouble very obliging .
The location was good, there was a lovely lake near by within walking distance, you could sit and feed the ducks and fish and a nice 15 minute walk to Sami , Our only regret was we did not know it was the last week before the Island closed down for winter, so a lot of the bar Tavern and shops were closed, and we only managed to do one trip with Thomas Cook, because the also stopped all Trips, and no local buses available in Karavomilos, we would have loved to see a bit more of this beautiful Island. We were disappointed the travel agent we book with, did not makes us aware it was the last week before the Island closed down for winter, but never the less we enjoyed this holidays and met some nice people, Would we come back to this hotel, yes we would we loved it. Thank you for a lovely relaxing holidays.

Room Tip: room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2017

We stayed at the Ionian for two weeks in September. This was our first visit to Kefalonia and this hotel. The island is beautiful with stunning views and the beautiful blue clear sea. The hotel was good and basically no complaints. We were very happy with our room which had a stunning view of the sea and mountains. The Staff were very attentive and always helpful nothing was too much trouble. I agree the breakfast may have been a bit boring but they did make me an omelet most mornings, also I did miss not eating alfresco for breakfast.
Sami is a lovely place and only about a 10 minute walk along the sea front with many lovely restaurants and travernas. We would definitely return to Sami but not sure whether we would return to the Ionian.

Room Tip: Definitely a sea view
1  Thank s11val
Reviewed October 3, 2017

Lovely room with a view over the pool to the sea but the hairdryer was broken, mosquito screen handle broken and toilet seat broken. They were all fixed but an hour and a half to get another hairdryer is a bit long! The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Apart from the breakfast which became a bit boring after a week the food was good. Weather was perfect and there were plenty of sunbeds, poolside towels and sunshades.