“Get rid of your sins!”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$266.66*
and up
2-Day Private Tour of Leshan Grand Buddha and...
Ranked #1 of 72 things to do in Emeishan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A scenic mountain area houses important Buddhist temples.
Reviewed March 2, 2018 via mobile

Chinese Buddhists believe that climbing Mount Emei, one of their five sacred mountains, purifies their karma. In other words, such a climb gets rid of your sins or at least of some sins! What a wonder!

I climbed it from the bottom in three days. That was a real adventure! First of all, don't think you will need special gear or ropes: there are stairs from the very beginning to the top. You need to pay an entry fee. There are people and shops almost everywhere. The landscapes are breathtaking. The temples you will encounter on the way are unbelievable - as if straight from another century. However, the monks I met seem to ignore the basic principles of their own religion... That's a pity!

The accommodations on the way are really terrible. You won't find anything else than a questionable bed, in a dormitory. They didn't have a bathroom at all. On my last day, I got a serious stomachache. A young man who had slept in the bed next to mine decided to walk with me, even though I had told him I would slow him down.

At about 2,800 meters, it started to rain. The temperature was really low - much lower than I had imagined! I realized I hadn't taken enough clothes... The man removed his rain coat and begged me to take it. At first, I refused, knowing fully well that if he gave me his coat he wouldn't have any for himself, but he insisted, saying that I had a stomachache. In the end I agreed, aware that I had witnessed an act of kindness from a perfect stranger.

Through this story, please understand that you need to wear enough on this mountain and to bring a rain coat or an umbrella. You understand as well that it is a magical mountain, a mountain where acts of kindness, of deep compassion, are performed every single day.

1  Thank Steeve P
"takes about hours"
"starting point"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed February 13, 2018 via mobile

Spent half a day here and blessed by having great weather which allows to be above the clouds
Golden Buddha was amazing
We took the cable car up to the summit which takes a few minutes the walk to same is about 30 from leidongping (I recommend either bringing crampons or buying some prior RMB20 as the trail is very icey in winter )many worshipers making offerings there are some hotels there if you wish to stay the sunset/sunrise would be amazing at this time of year there are also some food stalls (which sell beer)
The highlight of our trip

1  Thank Gregcch
Reviewed February 1, 2018

I have been to the top of the mountain to see the Golden Buddha twice. The first time it was clear and fantastic. The second was raining, and perhaps not worth the time and effort.

Reviewed January 28, 2018 via mobile

Impressive when on top at sunrise. Lovely and impressive at that height. You need to be able to walk quite a few stairs.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 22, 2018

Because Mount Emei is such a popular site, there is a lot to be said for visiting during the winter season. Because we chose to visit the mountain in December, accommodations were abundant and discounted and we never experience a line for an attraction which is unusual for a tourist sight in China. The numerous paths are well maintained and make for delightful hiking. A three day visit is good as it allows one day to travely to the summit of the mountain and two additional days to explore the various monasteries and temples nestled in the slopes