Sunset Del Mar Resort(Esterillos Este)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$99
Pelican Hotel(Esterillos Este)(Great Value!)
US$116
US$79
Hotel Playa Bejuco(Esterillos Este)(Great Value!)
US$66
Hotels.com
Hotel Delfin Playa Bejuco(Playa Bejuco)(Great Value!)
US$65
La Dolce Vita(Esterillos Oeste)(Great Value!)
US$79
US$67
Beso del Viento(Parrita)(Great Value!)
US$88
Hotel Tramonto(Jaco)
US$83
US$81
US$80
US$78
Encantada Ocean Cottages(Esterillos Este)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsplunge pooloutdoor showercosta ricamanuel antonioprivate gardenrestaurant staffhotel is beautifulthe wait staffcouples massagetotal privacybright colorsopen airrented a carrainy seasonpeaceful placeblack sandocean front
Reviewed May 14, 2015

My husband and I chose to stay at Alma following a busy family wedding weekend in Guatemala. We were looking for something relaxing, low-key and secluded, but with easy access to fun activities: Alma had it all. Here are just a few of the highlights:

Food/Service: Alma served some of the freshest seafood I've ever had. The staff was beyond friendly and accommodating. The continental breakfast was very good and very filling (make sure to ask for their awesome array of hot sauces). We never really needed a true lunch. The atmosphere overlooking the Pacific was incredible. I also personally enjoyed the hotel cat that would stop by and say hello while we ate/drank (for anyone who isn't into that, get over yourself).

Room/Grounds: The ground are beautifully designed. The layout of the hotel is compact but private. Nothing was too far away; it has a great "boutique" feel. The room was gorgeous (we were Bungalow 20).

Beach: The beach was absolutely PERFECT. I've never seen a public beach so clean and so "private" feeling. The sunsets were amazing (see my photos). The ocean water was super warm and clear; we never encountered one spec of seaweed or other debris.

Activities: Take surfing lessons with Brett; he was the best! We also enjoyed being only a short drive away from Manuel Antonio National Park and Playa Hermosa (watching the Playa Hermosa surfers at sunset is a must-do).

Thank you, Alma!

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Kalie W, Public Relations Manager at Alma del Pacifico Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2015

Hi Kara!
We are so glad you had a great time on your trip. I would definitely have to agree with everything you mentioned. Our staff is incredible, along with the food, and beach! Having a secluded hotel is very unique in the Manuel Antonio area since that is a big location for tourists. Also- I love your photos! I would love to use them in our marketing material if you wouldn't mind :) feel free to email me at kalie@almadelpacifico.com if you would like!

Reviewed April 25, 2015

I will start with the truly excellent aspects of our vacation at Alma. The restaurant was incredible...some of the freshest, most delicious food we've ever had - and the servers could not have been nicer. The dining experience was made even more lovely by the serene view of the pacific ocean just a short distance away. For a beach resort, you just can't ask for a better spot. This is a quiet (practically private) beachfront property with miles of gorgeous ocean and sand. Unfortunately, that quiet privacy comes with a rather steep price - as the closest town, Jaco, is a $50 (one way) cab ride away. I wish someone had told us that before we arrived. If you want to do something other than sit at the beach or the hotel pool, consider renting a car. Otherwise, there is really nothing much to do there. The resort has a "spa" but it is not staffed full time, which means if you want any services, you need to schedule ahead of time. There's also no fitness center of any sort, which was a bummer, as we wanted to work off some of those delicious dinners. As for the rooms - - we had a "garden villa" - which looked and sounded lovely at first, but wasn't really what we expected. The bathrooms didn't provide much individual privacy. Shower stalls had no doors or curtains (easy to peek into the bathroom mirror to see the reflection of the person showering, so make sure you're comfortable with your roommates!), and toilet was in more of a "stall" than a separate room. Most unfortunate for us, was the fact that the room was crawling with ants. We later learned that management does not like to use pesticides to kill ants in the guest rooms, so they will only exterminate if a guest requests it. I can absolutely understand the logic of wanting to keep the place as natural and organic as possible - but having to clean ants out of our beds really diminished our enjoyment. During the first two days of our stay, the service was fantastic. But a couple days later, a large group of family/friends of the resort's owners arrived - and it suddenly seemed that all attention turned to hosting them. The staff was less attentive to us, and seemed more concerned with rolling out the red carpet for their bosses' guests. Again, I can understand why - but it made us feel a bit less valued. I can't give a wholehearted recommendation to Alma because there were just too many disappointments. What I can say is that if you are a couple looking for a romantic getaway and want to enjoy nothing but the beach and each other in privacy - this is probably a great spot. Or if you are part of a large party (family reunion, large group of friends), and plan to spend your time eating, drinking, visiting, and beaching - Alma is probably also a great spot. But it is NOT great for a small family or anyone who likes a variety of activities. I would also call ahead to make sure they're not expecting a big/special party during your stay - such as a destination wedding or multiple guests of the owner. If that's the case, it might be more challenging to get the staff's full and timely attention, while they cater to the bigger group.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
9  Thank Lucy1201
Reviewed April 6, 2015

If you are looking to rest and wake up by the sound of the ocean, this is a good place.
We got an upgrade, since our room was not ready and stayed at the Deluxe Villa. With a little pool!

Friendly staff, and dinner and breakfast were also good.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Solismariela
Reviewed April 2, 2015

Our stay at Alma was really incredible. We stayed for a couple nights in one of their beachfront villas which was just steps from the beach. The food in their restaurant was great, and very fresh also. One thing I would recommend though is to get a rental car upon arrival.. we were able to do so many activities on our trip! Since the hotel was really secluded it was nice to venture out during the day and do different tours, but then return to the hotel to unwind. A very cool hotel!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank emmitc32
Reviewed April 1, 2015

Our trip to Alma came about as a friends daughter was getting married there...
We booked our garden villa and looked forward to the adventure. The hotel is in the jungle but right on the beach in a very remote location....but it is beautiful and the grounds so well maintained.

It is very open..each bungalow separate from the others and the dining areas. The room was clean and colorful. The problems here was the spotty AC ..which was "fixed" but never really fixed. Considering the temperature and humidity were high...we had daily problems with keeping the room cold. A major bummer when you are dealing with a hot climate.
Also a big problem (which I have yet to read in a review) is the fact that the bungalow walls are basically glass...no blinds or drapes..So when 5;30 -6 am rolled around..you were bombarded with daylight...No sleeping in on this vacation unless you bring sleeping shades or stay under the covers. That was disappointing...
and then there were the ants....oh well..you are in the tropics.

The good news is the pools, grounds, and dining area are great..The food so tasty and the staff is lovely and as helpful as they can be.

It is close to rain forests and zip lines so plenty to do..Rent a car..expensive but needed...

as for the wedding..what a great job they did..so impressive from Fernando who was the officiate to the food to the way the grounds were set up....Yummy too was the cake.

I would try this place again..but would need to know the AC can handle the heat and I would be offered a room with drapes...

Room Tip: villas are all lovely...beach ones are nice
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family