“Marvellous experience! Nature at its best!!”

Back to Nature Ecotourism Guesthouse & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 26 Bukit Lawang B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 August 2017

This is the absolute best place to stay at if you love sleeping - and waking up - in the middle of the jungle...!!
A place of unbelievable beauty! We stayed at the separate bungalow, some steps to get there, but it's absolutely recommendable. Especially for couples...!!
The staff was very friendly and helpful, if you have a problem or doubt, just ask Ari! ;-)
Also Hacha, the owner, was very helpful with a documentary short we were filming. Always interesting to talk to him.
Don't miss this place if in Bukit Lawang, you won't regret!!

Room Tip: The best views are in the separate bungalow on the hill. Very recommendable!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Aca A, Owner at Back to Nature Ecotourism Guesthouse & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2017

Dear speke2
thank you very much for your review, we hope to welcome you again some time and talk again to keep ourselves updated about our and your projects. Greetings from the jungle

Reviewed 23 July 2017

To get there you have to walk 45-60min, which gets a bit complicated if it was raining a lot or if you arrive at night. Otherwise it's a beautiful walk along the river, where you have the chance to spot plenty of animals. The rooms are lovingly furnished, but a little bit dark as you can only switch on the lights in the evening when the generator is being turned on. That's also the time, when you can use the Wifi. The shower worked very well on the first day, but then something was plugging the pipe, so I had to use a small bucket to wash myself. They don't provide toilet paper from the beginning, but if you don't feel comfortable with that they always keep some in reserve. The food is amazing, but pricy compared to other guesthouses in Bukit Lawang. The reason why I rate this place so high, although there were some negative aspects, is the staff!!! They compensated it. I loved the dinners together, playing cards, making music.... Everybody was happy to show me around and to go on a hike with me. They quickly became my friends.

Stayed: April 2017
Reviewed 28 June 2017

I had booked a room at Back to Nature for four days, however I stayed for ten as I just could not leave and would have loved to stay even longer. Everything was beautiful, starting with the location, the guesthouse, the scenery, the wildlife and of course the people. The river in front of the guesthouse was very clean, since there is nothing upriver to pollute it and perfect for cooling off. Everything around the guesthouse was well maintained and clean, no rubbish to be found anywhere. My room was beautiful, overlooking the forest and the river and I loved the way it was built, using mainly natural materials. There are seats on the verandah in front of the rooms, where you can sit and relax, read a book or watch the wildlife in the jungle right opposite on the other side of the river. I saw gibbons swinging in the trees, lots of other monkeys and one morning I even saw hornbills flying out of the forest. The food in the restaurant was very nice, being a vegetarian was not a problem. The people who work there are very friendly and helpful and I felt very welcome and really well looked after.
One thing which made the whole stay even better was the fact that there were no mosquitos or if any at all maybe just once or twice for about an hour at dusk. As I normally react very strongly to bites it made my stay even more relaxed, not having to worry about repellant or being bitten, which was the first time for me in Asia.
I wish I had had more time to stay longer as I loved everything about the place and I definitely would like to come back. I can only recommend the guesthouse as it is a first hand experience of life in the jungle (with comfort).

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Aca A, Geschäftsführer at Back to Nature Ecotourism Guesthouse & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2017

Dear Silvia
Thank you very much for your wonderful and detailed review! We enjoyed your visit and we are happy you enjoyed it so much too. Yes it's truely remarkable... you would expect moskitos in the jungle, but we hardly have any. Our ecofriendly, non-poisonous solution is: we keep fish in the pond that eat the larvae and our staff cuts the grass regularyly around the guesthouse and in upper garden area, so our guests feel comfortable without applying toxic repellents. We hope to welcome you back here again soon!
Thank you again and take care. Kind regards from the whole Back to Nature Team

Reviewed 5 February 2017

My time staying at back to nature feels like a dream...it was just so very beautiful. From the location to the friendly staff, to the delicious food, everything was just perfect. The guesthouse is in located in the jungle, 40 minutes away from everything. When you walk along the river to get to the guest house, you will pass some beautiful waterfalls and amazing views of the national park on the other side of the river. And then, between the river and a small waterfall, surrounded by tropical plants and butterflies you will find Back to Nature. The beds are very large, with mosquito nets, the bathrooms are big, with shower and toilet, they are outside but covered.
I felt welcome at all times here and everyone at Back to Nature was always very friendly and happy.
The jungle tracks with the guide from the guesthouse are a once in a lifetime experience...we saw so many Orang Utans very close and other native animals. It was a lot of fun to go river rafting after the tracks, so refreshing! This place will forever be very special to me and I really recommend it if you would like to really live in the Sumatran jungle, surrounded by rainforest and pure beauty.

Room Tip: The outside rooms with large windows are worth paying a bit more!
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank RonjaMaria
Aca A, General Manager at Back to Nature Ecotourism Guesthouse & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2017

Thank you very much for your review, we are happy to welcome you again soon!
Here is our latest news: In addition to our newly revised rooms in the guesthouse, we have just completed a wonderful new panorama bungalow in the garden area above the main guesthouse where especially honeymooners love to stay. Reservations by email: booking@backtonaturebukitlawang.com

Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

Do you want to to rest in the jungle? Do you want to meet monkeys life?
Stay at back to nature! You will be warmly welcomed. You will reach your guesthouse using a zipline above the river (by night for us!).
I highly recommend this experience

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your recommendation, we are looking forward to your next stay with us!
Kind regards
Back to Nature Guesthouse

Reviewed 17 December 2016 via mobile

We stayed in 'Back to Nature' for one night as part of a trek.
The surrounding scenery is sublime; sat nicely on the Bohorok river facing out to the greenery of the national park.
The staff are very pleasant and it is truly amazing to see some of the national park's inhabitants up close and personal here, especially the Thomas Leaf monkeys.
The rooms themselves are very basic, clean and have an 'open' bathroom, which is acceptable given its setting.
In the evenings, Wi-Fi is available with a fluctuant signal. The food/drink is generally good, but slightly overpriced given that it caters to a captive audience.
Overall, the surrounding environment makes this place worth the stay and would recommend based on this feature.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2016

What a wonderful and peaceful place at the bank of the Bahorok river and in the middle of the jungle! On the 30-40 minutes walk from the village along the river bank, you can get first impresssions of the rainforest and its wildlife (and now you don't even have to cross the river by the cable-lift anymore)
The very spacious rooms (there are only four in total!) have just been renovated, the staff is very friendly and they arrange trekking tours with the most experienced guides. The food in the restaurant is delicious. I wonder why most guests only stay 1 or 2 nights... if you really want to chill out, you should stay at least 1 week (I stayed for 4 weeks and would have loved to stay even longer...). Because the national park is just across the river, you can watch all kinds of animals (gibbon, siamang, grey and thomas leaf monkeys, makaque and on a lucky day orang-utans) from the restaurant or balcony. During my stay I also saw monitor lizards, big turtles, all kinds of small lizards and hundreds of butterflies nearby. I'll be back :-)

Room Tip: I recommend the rooms with river/garden view