“Un-eatable”
Review of Carino's Italian Grill Doral - CLOSED

Carino's Italian Grill Doral
Cuisines: Italian, American
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 82nd Ave
caracas
“Un-eatable”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

In my opinion the worth italian restaurant on Doral Area... The Angel Hair Artichoque was terrible and over cooked and un-flavored. The bread and service was ok, but not great. I'll never come back. What a shame...

Toronto
“Good roadhouse food, excellent service”
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Stayed at the nearby Holiday Inn and arrived at about 9:45, very hungry after a long day travelling. Chicken Parm panini along with several cold beers sent me back to the HI feeling a lot less tired. Nothing extraordinary...just decent food, good beer, attentive service and comfortable surroundings.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank Don35
Miami
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really Good Italian!”
Reviewed 27 December 2011

The food was delicious and the service was exceptional! The prices were reasonable too! The restaurant was very clean. This restaurant is perfect for all occasions! I like this location much better than Carraba's, and it has also better variety than Olive Garden and Macaroni Grill.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank U C
Orlando, Florida
“Worst Italian Food Ever”
Reviewed 14 December 2011

I was here for a few days in Miami for business, and was staying at the Homewood Suites approximately a mile away. My family is from Palm Beach, and decided to take a drive down so we could all go out to dinner one night. Due to lots of traffic, they had arrived a little late and we were all hungry, so we decided to go to one of the first restaurants we passed by: Carino's.

The restaurant had a decently full parking lot - usually a good sign for a restaurant, especially on a Tuesday night at 8:30PM. The service here was pretty good, with our waiter being attentive, and 2 different managers stopped by to check on us. Sounds like an ideal restaurant, right?

Unfortunately, the main reason why you go to a restaurant? To eat! The food here was quite possibly the worst Italian food I have ever eaten. The owner of this restaurant should be ashamed of the prices they charge for the food they serve. We ordered 2 appetizers, deciding to try both 1 "Classic Italian," as well as a more "Italian Fusion," type one. For our classic, we decided to go with the fried calamari and spicy marinara sauce. The calamari was overcooked, which resulted in it being extremely rubbery and tough. The sauce had no tomato flavor, and tasted as if they used horseradish to spice it up as opposed to more traditional seasonings (red pepper flakes anyone?) Surprisingly, the fusion appetizer we ordered, Italian Nachos, (fried pasta chips, alfredo sauce, mozzarella cheese, jalapenos, sausage or chicken, diced tomatoes) was definitely the best thing we ate here. In some of the other reviews they noted that bread was served with a dipping oil - ours never seemed to make an appearance. I would have asked for it had I had known about it beforehand, but we stopped in on a whim and I hadn't yet read reviews.

As far as the entrees go, they ranged from bad to awful. I ordered the Carino's Combo, which consisted of a chicken parmesan filet, slice of 16 layer lasagna, and spaghetti with marinary sauce. The chicken was extremely thick (like 1") and was dry and tough. The cheese on top might not have been real cheese, as it didn't get melty as mozzerella usually does. The lasagna was awful as well, with the sausage in it tasting like chorizo. Don't get me wrong, I like Chorizo but this is ITALIAN food not Spanish food. The spaghetti and marinara was the best of the three, but the sauce had literally no flavor and tasted reminiscent of those little packets you get in a Lunchables Pizza - only worse.

My father had a shrimp pasta, which he felt was decent. My mother got eggplant parmesan which was embarrasing - the breading was double the thickness of the eggplant! My Grandma and Grandpa had the chicken parmesan and tortellini respectively, and both found the dishes to be absolutely terrible (they are from Italy). When the server offered us a dessert menu, we declined out of fear that they would be equally as terrible as the rest of the food.

As far as pricing goes, it's not a far reach for prices for a nicer Italian restaurant, but definitely overpriced for terrible food. My combo was $17.95 not including a salad, calamari was $12ish, and the nachos were $10. Portions weren't huge, but I'm personally glad as at least there wasn't as much food waste when you decide not to finish 3/4 of your entree.

Overall: If you're in the area and looking for food (Italian or otherwise), drive past Carino's and go somewhere else. $175 for 5 people is ridiculous for terrible food - especially considering the fact that doesn't include any alcohol!

• Visited December 2011
Delray Beach, Florida
“Ok food”
Reviewed 9 December 2011

A little pricey but the lunch menu is much more affordable and you get a lot for the price.

Visited September 2011