All reviews tribute night cheesecake superior room carvery meal great night booked a table wedding party sunday roast self service lovely meal including breakfast function room cooked to perfection the ground floor room was large black pudding excellent value for money
Reviewed October 8, 2018

We booked into your hotel for a two night stay for a family funeral, checking in on Sunday the 9th September.The room was very clean and comfortable and the staff on the front Desk very professional and helpful, but I feel it’s important to put into writing my experience with the breakfast and evening meal we had in your restaurant. We arrived at the entrance for breakfast while we waited to be what we thought was to be seated, not the case. We where told to sit on any table with a cup and saucer, there were six tables layered up for breakfast the other tables were layered up for dinner (in my opinion these should not be laid for dinner as dust will settle on the wine glasses and cutlery very quickly and does not look very professional) We then made are way to the auto shams that were set up outside the restaurant to find them full of food, one of which contain scrambled egg that had been there that long It had turn grey I asked if they could cook me a fried egg and that came out hard ( most restaurants ask how they would like it). Sausages had also been sitting there for some time as the skin had become very rubbery due to the steam caused in the auto sham and tasted stale, the beans had a nice dark skin all around sides, not looking very appetising, hash browns are supposed to be crispy on the outside these were just a sodden mess, again caused by the steam in auto sham. The bacon had just been shown the grill as the fat had know colour and just become a yellow jelly texture. There were a bowl of Yoghurt’s floating in water, I take it the water would have been ice to keep them cool, therefore the yoghurts were warm. We asked the waitress if there was any bread or roles, she replied, no rolls and if you want toast I’ll cook some in the kitchen. We ordered one brown and one white, when they came out again the bread had just been shown the grill. ( its unbelievable somebody serves toast with no colour). Asking for a second cup of tea or coffee seemed to cause the waitress bother as her main task was laying tables for lunch.

We had a table booked for a evening meal with two others. To be honest I was not looking forward too it but did not want to disappoint others as they booked the table. Again the food was not too a good standard. Two had the home-made chicken balti and savoury rice with naan bread and poppadoms. The curry and rice was served in soup bowls, the rice was just coloured with yellow food colouring and stodgy (that is not savoury rice) we had to send the poperdom and nann bread back as the poppadom had been cooked that long the moisture from the kitchen had made them chewy ( you could literally bend them in half ) and the naan was served cold. It was replaced with a fresh poperdom but you couldn’t eat the nann as it had been heated through the microwave and became chewy.

The other two meals were half of duck with orange sauce. The duck was over cooked and the orange sauce was like coloured water ( to me it looked like the juice from the duck with orange juice added to it)

But my main concern was the hygiene standards.
1. Food should be kept to a temperature of 65c or above, this was not achieved in the auto shams.
2. Waitresses cleaning tables tops down with the same cloth. A sanertiser should be used to kill any bacteria to stop cross- contamination.

I don’t wish to tell you how to run your catering establishments, but I think it needs attention in certain areas, especially the hygiene areas and the presentation of the food. Auto-Shams are great if used correctly ( Bach cooking will deliver fresh and safe food)

It looks to me that a training program needs putting in place on a regularly basis to make sure customers receive a value for money meal, but more important a safe to eat meal

Regards
David Bennett

Room Tip: Know good views, just car parking or main roads
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank davidbennett1957
Reviewed October 4, 2018 via mobile

Went here as a treat for lunch with my mum in law, and the food was beautiful, service was quick, I personally liked the veg being brought out in separate dishes so you could choose how much or little you wanted. The cheese cake is delicious, definitely one of the best places for a roast dinner, definitely be calling back,
Only disappointing thing was the state of the chairs, think they could do with being replaced or recovered as they look worn out

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank maz1710
Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

Met up with friends for food and soft drinks. Food was lovely, tasty and cooked to perfection. However the service let the night down, took an hour from ordering to having food served and we were there 3 hours and only asked once if we wanted a drink. When we eventually managed to secure the attention of the waitress who had been serving behind the bar we explained our disappointment and was told ‘go to the bar’. Not the service you expect when seated in the restaurant.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 28, 2018 via mobile

I attended Blanco’s for a for an evening meal with my partner and the experience was a unpleasant one. The food is very low grade at best that was swimming in grease. We sent our food back on 2 occasions because it was cold and soaking with grease. We decided to cut our loses and leave. The staff were polite enough to take our drinks off the bill but it’s a place I won’t be recommending or visiting again.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2018

My colleagues and I stayed at the Blancos hotel for two nights while we were working. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. The gentleman on the reception when we checked in was friendly the people on the bar when we booked a table for dinner were great. The person who made our stay was Deborah. She served our table on the second night we were there and she was bubbly, fun and very helpful. We had such a laugh with her when she took our order and she continued to be helpful and funny when she was clearing the table and getting the bill for us. I would highly recommend the Blancos hotel to anyone who is visiting Port Talbot. The only downside to out stay was that it was too short and we couldn’t have an extra night there due to work commitments.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business