All reviews bring your own reasonable price sunny lodge picnic island the owner wear bikini guest house fish manta rays maldivian experience place to stay on arrival dive adam edam cook resort
Reviewed August 10, 2018 via mobile

This is the best place in island with in-house restaurant service! The hotel is also just few minutes walking distance from the beach. The place offer room service excursion and scuba diving. Clean and nice hotel with great staff!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2018

Before I arrived, I had excellent communications with Ali who on talking about manta rays and whale shark excursions was non committal but optimistic and enthusiastic. After meeting his nephew, Adam, on arrival, I was told something else. None of those excursions are available. Misleading and disappointing despite all their on site advertisements. Breakfast was part of the package - consisting of an egg, toast and jam. Dinner was extra. All meals were had in a very pleasant green area, adjoining the kitchen. I too stayed at their sister site across the way - Sunny Lodge. Another failure to disclose. The room was basic with a fridge, fan, a/c and hot showers but NO soap and certainly not like the pictures shown on the website? They provide 24 hour tea or coffee and guests use a private beach with lounge chairs. My only excursion was a day trip to picnic island, 15 minutes by boat away (hold on tight) at a cost of $50 US. Adam was rarely around to ask questions which meant we had to pre-order our meals so that the cook could make them. Basically we were left alone to fend for ourselves.The only other guest was from Seattle and we had many pleasant conversations. Adam however did arrange for me to watch a football/soccer game at midnight which was very much appreciated.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank AMsays
Reviewed May 8, 2018

After arriving from speedboat from Male (the transfer that I had reserved has not been arranged and after a couple calls to the owner Ali, I was able to get aboard speedboat from Male to the atoll). On arrival I was met by Edam, who was very pleasant and took me to the guesthouse (I actually was assigned to "Sunny Lodge, which is their second property across the street). Pictures in *no way* reflect the actual rooms, which were clean but extremely basic. In my experience there was no 24 hour front desk, there were no manta ray or whale shark excursions on offer (there was not an "excursions board" to be found), there were no BBQ grills, playground, or other amenities which were listed online as present at the guest house. Linens were not changed during a week-long stay, and aside from when the cook prepared/served meals, no staff were onsite. I did have a window...that looked into another room which was the service area, so there was no natural light; lighting was provided by bare glaring compact fluorescent bulbs; the room was pitch black without the lights turned on. On the plus side, air conditioning and wifi worked well and shower was with hot water. Additionally, the private beach was beautiful and an excursion was arranged to the picnic island which was gorgeous, and transfer back to Male was without issue. I was there 7 days, which turned out to be 4 days too long. While the tiny atoll itself was beautiful, I found the inhabitants (numbering ~ 700), to be extremely unfriendly.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Sea G
Ali A, Owner at Kalaafaanu Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2018

Thank you for the review! All our facilities are as adviertised. We offer all those excursions but sad that you didn’t request for any of mentioned activities. But glad that you enjoyed the activities you requested and tried.

Reviewed May 8, 2018 via mobile

We had 1st at the beach which was private and can wear bikini. We borrowed the masks from the hotel. There are so many fish that is easy to get to. The 2nd we asked for the diving (65usd) in the morning then at beach in the afternoon. The 3rd days we dive twice and the 4th day we went to maadhoo picnic island which is no body island (55usd). It was really nice and beautiful. The island has not too much but little shops to buy drinks and food and little restaurants to eat lunch and dinner. The retreat also have breakfast but it’s really simple. They offer 24hrs free coffee for the guests. You will need to talk to the retreat if you plan to dive or go on other island. They have to arrange. We went to picnic island for 4 hours and got burned, suggest not to go more than 3 hours. They offer sandwiches and fruits but it’s better if you bring your own.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends

Reviewed February 2, 2018

The location was great, only 2 minutes walk from the beach, besides i could see the ocean from the roof. Very kind and helpfull people around, simple but tasty food, and incredible atmosphere created by local people. I wish i could go back :)

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Antonina R
Ali A, Owner at Kalaafaanu Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2018

Thank you so much Antonina!