“more than my expectation!”

Summer Island Maldives
Reviewed 6 April 2017

it is a very nice resort. nice and clean room, cute balcony. white sand and pure water. on jetty, there are a lot soft coral which for me is rare cuase most coral we can see in resort is hard coral and a lot nimo swiming inside. the reception team is very nice since we apply a late check out, and they agreed but as i know, this resort has very high occupancy so it is out of my expectation. i have to say i really like their shampoo shower gel and sope smell. i went to SPA try to buy some product has same smell, but unfortunally SPA doesnt have. i like the restaurant food cause i find some chinese food, kabab, curry, sushi, live cooking and tasty desert which is like 5* resort. this resort guests mostly from german, france and japan. their beverage is really cheap compare to other resorts since maldives is muslim country and only resort can allow wine so wine is rather expensice here. anyways summer island is really worth your money!

Room Tip: in front of my room has a big tree cant see the sea but very priate. 281 room.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joyce s
Mariya_Shareef, Manager at Summer Island Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2017

Dear Joyce s,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such a nice review on your recent stay with us at Summer Island Maldives. We are very happy to hear that you had a wonderful time and we do hope to have you stay with us again.

Thank you from the Team.

Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

We spent five days on summer island and enjoyed each of them to the fullest.

The island is not too big and roughly 45 mins from Male by boat. The rooms (we had a superior bungalow) are cozy and well equipped. Food is very good and offers lots of variety. Personnel was super friendly and courteous. As our departure was in the evening, we were even offered to keep our room for the entire day free of charge.

The only negative point would be the slightly overpriced dive base. Therefore, make sure you pack your snorkeling gear and dive equipment.

Overall we highly recommend this island, especially to Maldives beginners.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JauslinGoncalves

Dear JauslinGoncalves,

Thank you so much for visiting Summer Island Maldives! We appreciate your wonderful review on your stay with us and very glad to hear that you had a lovely time.

We would like to thank you on behalf of the whole team and hope to have the pleasure of having you stay with us again sometime.

Reviewed 30 March 2017 via mobile

I visited this wonderful place before the changes were made, but from what I can see they have merely added to its beauty. ... it was the most restful, idyllic, perfect holiday I have ever had ... the staff were wonderful. .. the manager took the trouble to see me safely onto my speedboat when I finally had to leave for home (clutching onto the rail on the jetty because I didn't want to leave). Truly amazing. .. worth every minute of the flight. Thank you.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank jill h
Mariya_Shareef, Manager at Summer Island Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2017

Dear Jill h,

Thank you for leaving a wonderful review on your holiday with us at Summer island Maldives. We are very glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay. We were very happy to have you stay with us and hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again.

Reviewed 29 March 2017

This was my fifth visit to the Maldives, first time solo and first time at Summer Island.
First of all I would like to thank all the people working on Summer Island to make me feel at home and congratulate them on the fine job they are doing!
I stayed at a water villa on the sunset side and this is according to me the best choice, lots of privacy, private access to the ocean and you can dine in the restaurant only for the guests in the water villas or premium beach villas.
As I stayed already at other islands in the Maldives I could compare them with the following results :
The good thing was that the water villas are perfect and certain a plus for Summer Island, good for 5 stars!
The bad thing was: the food was not so good, for breakfast there was not much choice and every day the same. For lunch there was a menu and you could eat salads but they did not have for example a bbq with fresh fish or anything like that. For dinner again a menu you could chose from with curries and so, but again the quality was not so good. This needs definitely some improvement!
The ugly was : I did a walk around the island ones and I think first of all they need to renovate all the cushions of the beach loungers this was really bad to see how old they were and that was also my overall impression of the island although it was renovated in 2015. The rooms maybe nice inside but on the outside there is still room for improvement, I did get a 3 star feeling walking around on the island..
Summer Island is a good resort to stay, but not so high standard as the other islands I have been, but if you are on a budget it is ok but definitely stay in the water villas!

Room Tip: chose a water villa on the sunset side!!
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
7  Thank broweyedgirl

Dear broweyedgirl,
Thank you for your honest review on Summer Island. We appreciate every comment and try our best to improve ourselves with the suggestions.
I will look into food at Hiya and make sure that it is improved. As for the cushions around the sun lounges, they are still new, however, we are in the process of changing them at the moment, which will hopefully be completely changed in the next few months.
As you have mentioned, we still have a lot of room for improvement, and we will definitely do our best to make these changes happen.
Thank you again for visiting us and appreciate your comments and suggestions for improvements.
Resort Manager

Reviewed 21 March 2017 via mobile

We had our honeymoon there (premium beach villa). It was heavenly. The staff do everything they can to make every wish come true! The sandbankpicknick is not cheap, but the money is definitely worth it. I would like to praise the staff of the Hiya restaurant, especially our waiter Hafiz and the Singapur chef Sandy! They were always very friendly and attentive and the food was always delicious! I can only recommend it to anyone. It's really a dream! The beach, the sea, the room .. just everything perfect! keep it up! :)

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Mariya_Shareef, Manager at Summer Island Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2017

Dear Vanessa O,
Thank you so much for your time in reviewing Summer Island. We are very happy to hear that you had a lovely time with us.
We do hope to see you again sometime.
Mariya

Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

23rd February to 6th March
A superb ten night stay on this island in the Male atoll chain. The resort is a class act with the staff being top notch, being polite and attentive to the guests needs and requirements. I stayed in a Superior Beach Bungalow (370) which has a comfortable modern decor and situated in a great position walking out onto the beach and a great cove for snorkelling. The food is buffet style with great choice and excellent quality, a big thanks to the chefs and waiters especially Dhawa. The bars have a relaxed atmosphere and are well served by the staff.
The Spa is very good offering a number of pampering treatments very expertly applied by the lovely ladies who run the Spa. The resort run a boat out to the 'house reef' which sadly has been bleached by El Niño but the marine life is still active. Scuba diving is available but is expensive.
The majority of guests are German then French with Japanese and Russians running joint third, there is a number of British and nationals from Arabia and Malaysia. Most are couples with honeymooners a component although there are family groups but with a small number of children.
Would I go again? Most definitely!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank Warren S
Mariya_Shareef, Manager at Summer Island Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2017

Dear Warren S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We are very happy to hear that you had a good time.

We look forward to having you back with us again.

Reviewed 5 March 2017

Staying on Summer Island is like being in paradise. The island is beautifully kept and the accommodation is top class. We were in a water villa which was amazing, it felt like our own little home on the water for 10 days - perfect! Just by the the water villas and premium bungalows are the Hiya restaurant and Avi bar which are on the water and attached to the water villas by wooden walkways. The food was delicious and the service was fantastic. A special thanks to our friend Zameer who looked after us so well and made us feel so welcome during our stay! All the staff are so friendly and this creates a great atmosphere. We also treated ourselves to a candle-lit dinner on the beach which was an unforgettable experience - the table was beautifully decorated and I can’t think of a more lovely location for a romantic dinner, with the beach for ourselves by the water. We felt so special. Zameer was also waiting on us and he was very kind and attentive, we really appreciated it. We also ate at the Samuga restaurant which is also excellent and the Nevi bar next to it is a great spot to have a drink whilst watching the sunset. Just next to the Nevi bar and Samuga restaurant is the infinity pool which is one of the loveliest pools I’ve ever been in. We did a lot of snorkelling and also diving and there is much to see and do. There are a few great snorkelling spots around the island with some live corals and many beautiful fish. Just snorkelling in the shallow water around the island you can see stingrays, moray eels, octopus, reef sharks, lion fish, we even saw an eagle ray just off the north tip of the island! The diving is great too, the dive guides Arian, Maha and Lukas are excellent and are very careful about diver safety and protecting the environment. There are many great dive sites close by (30-45 minutes boat trip). The diving team also run excursions to sites for snorkelling - we did the turtle snorkelling and manta ray watching which were awesome, especially the manta rays where at one point we had 8 circling around us in the shallow water at the snorkelling spot!
Thank you so much to all the staff and Summer Island and the Diverland team for making our stay so unforgettable!

The only negative things I can say are about diving pricing and general lack of safety information:

In regard to the diving pricing, the diving is expensive if you’re used to diving in Europe and you have to pay extra for the boat trips and for equipment hire, including dive computer which is mandatory. As we didn’t have our own equipment this meant that we ended up paying around $100 per dive, which seems very overpriced. Having said that, the team were great and it was an awesome experience!

In regard to general safety, on the first day I fell down the steps of the water villa and into the water as the bottom few steps are covered with algae and are extremely slippery. I didn’t hurt myself and after that I came down the steps really slowly and carefully every time and it was fine. I think though that it would be good to put a notice warning of possible danger. Also the sea is not always calm and there are often strong currents around the water villas. Sometimes it was pretty tough to swim back at high tide with the current pulling you out to sea. I was surprised there was no safety information on this or a safety briefing of some sort to warn of the possible dangers. There is a flag at the end of the jetty signalling the danger level, but there was no information given about this and we learnt about it only 2 days before our departure. It seems strange that the Diverland team who organises dives and snorkelling trips are so careful about advising on safety, but the hotel doesn’t seem to care about even providing basic safety information. Although this did not affect our stay at all and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, I thought it was worth mentioning because a safety briefing on arrival and/or a few safety notices could help avoid possible future accidents.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hotelplan
2  Thank Mark I

Dear Mark,
Thank you so much for your valuable review. We appreciate your honest comments and we will make sure to do more about the safety information in general to all guests. Slippery signs are not being put in the Water Villa stairs as a warning.
We thank you again for visiting us, and very happy to hear that you had a lovely time.
We do look forward to having you stay with us again.
Mariya

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ziyaaraifushi Island
36.8 km away
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
33.9 km away
Paradise Island Resort & Spa
Paradise Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Lankanfinolhu Island

Been to Summer Island Maldives? Share your experiences!