All reviews off season the owner the pub malcolm island ferry terminal alert bay co op get away pizza hiking trails perfect place peace and quiet the ritz summer months hotel owners limited places to eat grocery store
Reviewed May 7, 2018

On April 20, 2018 I arrived by ferry on Malcolm Island. I was booked into the Oceanfront hotel for 2 nights. When I arrived the owner of the hotel mentioned to me that my room faced First Street and not the ocean. She offered me an ocean-side room at a decent rate and I took her up on her offer. Before settling on a room she showed me 2 of the ocean-side rooms. The view of the water was spectacular. As the hotel is very close to the BC Ferries terminal, I would watch the arriving and departing ferries. The water activity is minimal and, therefore, the location is quiet and peaceful.

The owner of the hotel was very helpful. She told me about the trails and how to get there. As my arrival in Sointula was prior to the busier tourist season, there were only limited places to eat. She contacted the Upper Crust Bakery in my presence to find out how long they would be open on April 20. The baker, Victor, was making pizzas that night. I later attended there and had an awesome homemade pizza.

The hotel's proximity to the ferry terminal makes for easy access to the ferry. Having a car is a bonus, but not a necessity if you are looking for a very quiet, relaxing time. The ferry connects to Alert Bay for no additional charge and the places to see at Alert Bay are within walking distance.

I was very impressed with the Oceanfront Hotel. The current owner has been there for 34 years and was a wealth of information. There are maps and brochures in the reception area. This is a place that I will return to without hesitation and would recommend it to others.

Room tip: A room facing the water is a must.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank RTGJ
Reviewed March 10, 2018

We fell in love with this ambience the moment we touched onto Sointula and immediately saw the hotel. If you prefer the ritz in a big city this is not the place for you unless you have an outdoor streak. The room and I just booked with Robyn for the third time same room holds a special place in our heart each time we go. There is a large kitchen set up with all the tools to prepare a meal, you just bring your preference of food. The pub is downstairs but we don't hear any noise coming upstairs whatsoever. We sit out on our covered deck for morning coffee watching the waves seemingly almost hitting your toes. Nighttime we have a cocktail and watch for lit up ships going past to Alert Bay. Restaurants when opened deliver a very good breakfast with free run eggs, bacon, toast and a delicious cup of coffee. Hiking trails have amazing views and the forest provides a canvas of moss, trees and the sound of birds, ocean etc. Eagles are pretty to miss...could anyone want more. On top of all of this staff is very accommodating.

Date of stay: November 2017
1  Thank Rhonda J
Robin S, Owner at The Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2018

So glad you enjoyed your visit and thank you for the lovely write up. I am glad we are part of your good memories!

Reviewed January 1, 2018

Very friendly, and accommodating. This oceanfront hotel is the perfect place for those who wish to get away, and just relax. We took advantage of the off-season in early April, so there was very little to do on Malcolm Island, other than go for walks, explore, and learn of the Finnish and Indigenous peoples history in the area. The hotel restaurant, as well as all the cafes in Sointula were closed for the season, so the hotel staff allowed us to use the upstairs kitchen as our own. And, they put us in a nearby room so we wouldn't have to travel far to cook. The room was quaint, but nice and clean with a comfy bed. The view of the harbour with the ferry landing close by was awesome from the top floor. There is even a way to ride the ferries for free from Sointula to Alert Bay on a nearby island. Just ask the staff how. It's well worth the trip!

Room tip: Best rooms are on the top two floors, oceanside
Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gordon M

So glad you like our little island and had a good holiday. Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed November 24, 2017

My Husband and I planned a trip in late June 2017, staying at the Oceanfront Hotel. Decided to look for a Summer Place after meeting the hotel owner Robin Smith. Such a down to earth and caring lady, so welcoming and eager to give tips to make our trip more interesting. Robin suggested hiking trails, restaurants, beaches. Enjoyed this village so much we decided to speak with a local real estate person recommended by Robin. Joy Davidson was also interesting, knowledgeable and took time to get to know us while we looked at several different properties.

Sointula is unique and offers something for everyone. The Oceanfront Hotel is very clean, nice comfy rooms, onsite pub, atm, knowledgable staff that know the Island. OceanFront also offers fishing guide service. Hotel is right on the water, it offers a nice walkable beach, beautiful views from rooms or the Pub. There is also a common kitchen everyone can use. There is easy to access to the Grocery Store/Co-op and a few restaurants. We found the handmade blankets very welcome on cool June nights gazing at the view. Super relaxing and friendly village. There are bikes available for use, free of charge at the Visitors Center. We stayed as a family 3 different occasions June, Aug and Sept. in 2017. Felt right at home and have now purchased a home nearby.

The Oceanfront is located a few minute walk to the Ferry, A Bakery and the Grocery. I would certainly think if you really wanted to explore Malcolm Island you should bring a car. This is a very outdoorsy, friendly and down to earth, fishing, kayaking, boating, one of a kind community. Love the Artsy Feel, Fabulous Sunsets, nearby Marina. It is convenient to have the ability to enjoy Happy Hour at the Pub, Karaoke on Saturday Nights! If you are friendly and enjoy people, you have hit the jackpot. Fun to exchange Fishing Stories and meet the Locals. Went for a day and now will be a part-time resident!

Room tip: Definitely a water view room is a must! We sat on our Deck until the sunset, 11 pm in June! Stunning Views
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

We are so happy to have you here as a resident. Many folks have come for a visit and decided to stay. We are lucky to have you in our community. Thank you!

Reviewed November 12, 2017

Let me just say...I'd love to retire here. The Hotel is unique to say the least. Our room was baby blue and lovely. MILLION DOLLAR VIEW!!!! We went on a Monday when there is nothing open, as it is off season but the manager was willing to feed us <3 My sister knew some of the locals so we were set. If you love peace and quiet, this is the place for you. My favourite places have always been Tofino and Ukie...But now my number one choice is Sointula <3

Room tip: My room was 208...Best view ever <3
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

So glad you had a great visit and we hope you do get to move here one day! Thank you!