All reviews two hours reasonable price salt water peaceful hotel expensive island until midnight away from the hustle and bustle small beach recommend this hotel enjoyed our stay free wifi main city my girlfriend shuttle bus pool bar out of the way fira town
Reviewed November 9, 2017

Greece is pretty unpredictable when it comes to hotel prices and quality. I chose Porto Castello because it was one of the cheapest accommodations in Santorini. I stayed in a similarly priced hotel in Paros and it was outstanding. This place was a disappointment. The hotel is basic and slightly outdated. Rooms are simple and fairly clean. However, there was a nasty odor in the bathroom. I was friendly with another couple staying in the hotel. They had actually boiled water in a kettle and cleaned the bathroom themselves to eliminate the smell.

On my first night there, the air conditioner in my room leaked onto my handbag and laptop. Thankfully the laptop wasn’t damaged. I had some papers in my bag and the ink ran when they got wet. The bag was inexpensive so I didn’t fuss about it. I did ask if I could check out and be refunded for the next two nights (which I had already booked). The staff wasn’t apologetic at all and they refused to refund my money. I thought that was rude; an exception should have been made considering the circumstances. They did switch me to another room, however.

Wifi was practically nonexistent, even in the lobby. This was a big inconvenience. Another issue is the location. Porto Castello is in a rural area of the island, not within a reasonable walking distance to the center of Fira. There is nothing nearby, except for a small beach. The hotel does run a shuttle bus to Fira every two hours. That said, you have to coordinate your plans around the shuttle schedule, which isn’t always easy.

Overall, it was not a great experience. If I were to go back to Santorini, I would pay a bit more and stay in a better location.

Date of stay: September 2017
1  Thank Sage M
Reviewed August 4, 2017 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stayed here during our trip in Santorini. It is a good hotel woth a pool and a bar, near to the beach (2 minutes by walk) and to Fira's center (5 minutes in scooter). It's a calm zone, without many pub, disco or restaurant but if you don't like too people, it's perfect. The room and bathroom aren't the top but the cheap price for one week it's very attractive if you compare it to hotels of Fira, Oia or Imerovigli (that take maybe four or five times more). In conclusion, it's a good choice if you want to save (part of) your money in Santorini.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2017

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 10 days. Would definitely go back.

Friendly staff, nice pool/bar area with the black sand beach just a moment away, and a great coastal restaurant nearby. Very peaceful hotel in a quiet location away from the hustle and bustle of the capital. It's a bit of a journey to the main sights, however every 2 hours a 10-15 minute shuttle bus (with a pickup) runs from the hotel to the capital, from where you can take buses to any location on the island - pretty handy.

If you're looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful but competent, then stay here.

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2017 via mobile

Hotel was lovely, clean and comfy. Fresh towels every day. Fridge in the room which was good! Brilliant balcony that looked over the port.
The hotel is pretty far out of the way and no taxi's will go there but the free bus to and from Fira is amazing. Every 2 hours until midnight and runs like clockwork! From Fira you can get transport to anywhere.
Pool was beautiful as well as the surrounding flowers.
There is not much around the area apart from a lovely wee port and a lovely beach restaurant but that suited us fine as we wanted to relax whilst at the hotel.
My only negative is the lack of english was quite difficult at times to get information and there was no maps or tourist guides at the reception like you would normally get. But we had free wifi and found our way about it.
Overall our stay was fabulous. The hotel is so reasonably priced as well as if you stay 3 nights or more they take you to the airport for free (usually €25 in taxi).
Would 100% recommend!

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2017

The hotel is about 5 to 10 minutes out of Fira by car and there's a beach about a 2 minute walk from the hotel. It's not very busy though but it's good if you don't have time to go anywhere else. Either way, Santorini doesn't have very nice beaches, but that's just my opinion. Now about the hotel. It's not as nice as it looks in the pictues but for 30 euros (late August 2005) a night it's okay. We were on the second floor and it had a TINY balcony. The drawers were tiny too, so there's not much room for your clothes. The hotel doesn't have an elavator so if you have a problem with stairs you should avoid going. The bed was uncomfortable too. I mean REALLY uncomfortable. The air conditioner stunk like pee for a minute or two when we turned it on (maybe they hadn't had it serviced in a while) and as for satellite TV, well, there was a TV but no satellite if you know what I mean. The cleaning ladies sucked too. I had made a complaint to the owners twice but they said that they were aware of the problem and plan on letting them go when the season is through. If you ever happen to get hungry there DON'T order the pizza which costs 7 Euros. I heard that someone did and it was that crappy frozen kind you can find at supermarkets. But I have something positive to say. The people that owned the hotel were very helpful. We had a bit of a problem and the dad/owner, Mr. Antonis, really helped us out. He also brought me to the port and I had heard that he also picked some other people up from the port one day so maybe you can get in touch with them and ask them if they can pick you up as it costs 15 Euros to get to the hotel from the port by taxi. Oh, and planes fly over the area but I didn't find that too annoying.

Date of stay: August 2016