Ocean View House Inishturk
Tranaun House(Inishturk)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 20, 2017 via mobile

Stayed here last weekend. Mary is a lovely host. Friendly and helpful. Her family were totally welcoming to my partner and I. Had dinner on the Saturday and Sunday evening. Home cooked chicken and veg and fresh cod caught locally.
I would highly recommend this B and B. It's very relaxing and easy going.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2016

I visited Ocean View on August Bank holiday weekend with my pal for a short break.

When we arrived on shore, we were greeted by Mary (the owners) lovely daughter who drove us and our bags a few metres up the hill to the house. We were greeted by the lovely Mary and treated to scones and tea on arrival. We had a lovely twin room with en suite and TV and the most stunning view of the island.

Mary and her lovely family couldnt have done enough to spoil us. Breakfast and dinner each evening was outstanding and we felt we were at home at all times. There was plenty of choice each morning and evening.

There was a gang of fisherman staying in the house also and they, like us, were treated like royalty. They told me that they have being coming for almost twenty years and come once a year and always stay with Mary.

We walked the island a few times over the weekend and visited the local pub and had beautiful seafood chowder.

I can't wait to come back and have already contacted Mary to arrange my next trip next August bank holiday weekend.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2015

We returned to Mary C and Bill's B&B after five years when we had to cut our trip to Islands short for medical reasons. We travelled with 3 very young kids and we were made feel most welcome at the property. Our kids had a great time playing with Mary's grandchildren around the house and also in the local community centre. We were made most welcome and felt very much at home. The room was spotless and comfortable and quite spacious for a room for four.

Mary met us at the pier and transported our luggage to the house. We followed on foot - it is just a 300 metre walk. After settling in and recovering from a traumatic ferry crossing we were served the most delicious tea and scones which set us up for some Island exploration.

Mary also cooked dinner in the local community centre kitchen - the Caher view bistro - we were served the best meals of our entire holiday. My wife is still raving about the deep fried brie! Five years ago I first tasted Mary's roast beef and trimmings dinner and I could not wait to try it again - the second time was even better than the first!

We would have loved to have stayed longer! Great credit goes to the entire Island - it cannot be an easy life with challenges that we all take for granted but yet there is a peace, calmness, sincerity, genuineness about the people of Inishturk. I found it to be quite a grounding experience!

We will return but we won't leave it 5 years!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank IE123456
Reviewed August 18, 2015

Where can I begin , My family were collected from the pier on arrival from Mary and Brid , where we were taken to the house for tea and warm scones , a perfect start to our holiday . The islands beauty and peace was perfect for us , we brought our 8 year old son who instantly made friends with Alan and the kids in the B&B , Mary , Bill Joe and Brid couldn't do more to help with our 6 month old daughter , making us feel like part of the family rather than visitors . My only complaint is we didnt stay long enough !!
All my family loved the visit to island life , warm welcomes from both the Heanue family and the islanders , the long beautiful walks , fishing trips etc.To anyone who wishes to visit the real Ireland , Inishturk has it all for you . We will making a return visit no doubt ,Inishturk hasnt seen the back of us yet , See you next year !!!

Room Tip: All rooms have perfect views
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2015

My girlfriend and I have just returned from 2 weeks on the Wild Atlantic Way. We started off by getting the ferry to Inishturk and we were not disappointed! When we arrived at Ocean View Housewe received a warm welcome from Mary Catherine complete with delicious warm scones and tea. We had a great time on Inishturk and staying with Mary Catherine gave us a great insight into what life is like on the island. You are welcomed into their home and treated like one of the family... It seems one reviewer below did not appreciate this, but the homely feel to this B&B really enriched our stay. We had a great nights sleep followed by a great breakfast in the morning. We will definitely return to Ocean View House some day....

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple