“Private dinner full of peace, great conversation and incredible eats!”
Review of HiR Fine Dining

HiR Fine Dining
Reserve with OpenTable
HiR Fine Dining is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Pinilla
Price range: US$145 - US$250
Description: Every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, international chefs create discovery menus HiR. Every dinner has between 6 and 10 courses. Everywhere possible, our produce are organic and locally sourced. Dinner are scheduled for 3-5h depending on chef and menu. With a maximum of 12 seats, each guests receives 100% of the chef's attention. In the Jungle of Costa Rica, HiR gives you a private and intimate setting to focus on the subtle and refined food you're eating.
Reviewed September 6, 2018 via mobile

We had an amazing time with Noam and Nadia. We came for an incredible meal and received an EXPERIENCE. We now want to bring others back to enjoy it. The tranquility blended with the pure appreciation and art of the culinary delights was in full effect at HIR - merging some Costa Rican favorites with new flair and some other worldly experiences makes this a one-of-a-kind event. Enjoy our pictures and GO!

Noam K, Owner at HiR Fine Dining, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2018

Thank you so much for your wonderful presence. Your husband and your friend were both awesome. We loved spending time with you and it was a pleasure hearing you enjoyed the food / experience so much! See you very soon! Love, Nadia & Noam

Reviewed August 30, 2018

My family enjoyed an extraordinary meal here - the most ambitious, thoughtful meal I've ever had.

HiR deviates from normal dining in many ways. We drove 30 minutes on bumpy roads to dine outdoors at a plain wooden picnic table. A golden retriever and a few cats accompanied us with the dog occasionally barking at the howler monkeys nearby. Much closer to dining on the chef's porch than a restaurant experience.

Our hosts were warm and welcoming, but didn't use their charm to influence our food experience.

Each dish had a lot going on at multiple levels - ingredients, flavors, composition, theme, and textures using both familiar and esoteric local ingredients including herbs from their garden, Plating went above and beyond. One dish had an edible leaf that had distinct colors on the two sides.

The seven-course meal came slowly with time to savor and then contemplate each dish. Every one of the seven dishes had brave combinations. The most astonishing to me was the coffee cooked octopus which had coffee, chocolate, teriyaki, pumpkin, and octopus elements that worked beautifully together. Every dish had interesting things. I won't do a blow-by-blow, but chimichurri sorbet, local bee pollen, gorgeous edible flowers that harmonized with its dish are a few examples.

Each dish had a modest portion that was enough to sample the food multiple ways (I had my three patacones with mayonnaise and ceviche first all together, then separately, then with alternating bites which was my favorite).

Our family of four enjoyed analyzing each dish before we presented with the next one. To our delight, our hosts came out and asked us for feedback on the meal. We spent 30 minutes going through all seven courses step by step and this revealed more about the thought and effort they put into each dish. I think they enjoyed this post-mortem as much as we did.

This is not for everyone, but if you think going into the middle of nowhere to find something truly beyond normal food experience, this is the culinary Shang-ri-la.

Noam K, Owner at HiR Fine Dining, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2018

David, thank you so much for this heart warming review!! We enjoyed so much your detailed analysis of our dishes :) We love to talk about food and hearing the depth of your family's experience was wonderful. We're still toying with a lot of the ideas of where we can continue to improve!! We can't wait to serve you again during your next visit :)

Reviewed July 31, 2018

As a gay travel blogger with disposable income, I have dined, and been wined and dined, at many different types of restaurants. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I have never tasted anything that even remotely resembles the culinary experience I had at HiR Fine Dining, in the Costa Rican Jungle. And yes, I know that sounds dramatic, even for a gay travel blogger. But at HiR Fine Dining they don’t just serve food, they serve a full sensory experience.

The meal is sourced, prepared, cooked, and served by only two people; chef Noam Kostucki and sous chef Nadia Mccullough, in a bare bones, outdoor setting surrounded by the ambiance of the jungle (read: some picnic tables in the middle of nowhere, complete with candlelight and howler monkeys). There are seven small courses, each made entirely from scratch from local farmers markets, with organic ingredients mixed together in such a way that every tastebud on your tongue will be both wondering what the eff is going on, and desperately thirsting for more.

Here in America, our noodles are chock full of gluten, starch, and all the trappings of a nationwide obesity epidemic. At HiR Fine Dining, they do things a little differently. The spiralized noodles come from raw carrots, beetroot, and zucchini. The vegan noodles are then expertly garnished with super-thin (basically anorexic) slices of radish, Brazilian spinach, and hibiscus leaves (who knew they were edible), and topped off with a passion fruit and caramel sauce. The best part of the whole shebang is the passion fruit seeds (again, who knew they were edible). Passion fruit seeds somehow combine a juicy, flavorful tartness with a crunch that truly feels like god is exploding in your mouth.
The Soba Maracuya at HiR Fine Dining made me rethink my religion. I now worship the almighty passion fruit.
If you get a chance to eat HiR, definitely take it. It will truly change the way you think about food.

Noam K, Owner at HiR Fine Dining, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2018

Gary, thank you so much for your kind words!! You are an amazing force of nature and we can't wait to see the results of your creations. We can't wait to see you again HiR when you return to Costa Rica!

Reviewed July 19, 2018

My trip to Costa Rica was made complete by eating HiR. This is not just amazing food, it is an entire culture immersion. The dining experience was a 6-course meal made entirely from locally grown fresh fruits, herbs, and meats. A lot of foods I've never had before, but each dish in-itself is a culinary masterpiece. We shared our meal with two other couples in a very open-air setting that made for a fantastic view of the sun setting over the mountains in the distance.

Our server was extremely humble and professional with everything from the presentation of the dishes to making sure the HiR experience was properly executed. I would highly recommend eating at HiR for a unique twist on the fine dining experience. 100% worth the experience and the adventure to get to this wonderful slice of the jungle.

Cecil, thank you for joining us with the family! It's always such a pleasure to see you and we're thrilled you enjoyed the experience so much!! Can't wait to see you again soon :)

Reviewed July 14, 2018 via mobile

When I say that this was the best food I have ever eaten, I am not exaggerating. Eating the food here made me rethink what I eat on a daily basis. I absolutely can’t put into words how amazing the experience was. Picture a five star meal, different than anything you have ever tasted, served in the middle of the jungle in a way so casual that you can actually enjoy yourself and relax...and this touches the surface of what a meal here is like. The wine pairings were fantastic, the flavors were unusual and unique, and I tasted things I never dreamed I would ever taste that I will crave until I can go back one day! The most impressive thing perhaps was that I have eaten catfish hundreds of times, as it’s a staple food in Florida where I am from, but Noam prepared it and I didn’t even recognize it! It was buttery, flavorful, and downright unbelievable! If you want to treat yourself to a real dining experience, look no further. My father arranged for my husband and I to visit here on our honeymoon and it was one of our favorite parts of the entire trip. I hope to bring my whole family back here one day so that we can experience it together. I know I won’t have a better meal until I return there again!

Noam K, Owner at HiR Fine Dining, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2018

Thank you so much Emily!!! Your enthusiasm is contagious and your presence is wonderful. We can't wait to have you back at HiR Fine Dining and I look forward to creating more magic for you and your family :) Sending you lots of love from Costa Rica!!