See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 7, 2016 via mobile

A comfortable and clean hotel with air con and a good bed, perfect if you're just staying in Aranaprathet overnight on the classic Bangkok to Siem Reap route. It's a short tuk tuk ride from the bus station and the Poipet border crossing as well, so handy for this. We arrived late in the evening and left early in the morning so didn't see the hotel properly but had a peak at the pool area which was nice. Friendly staff.

Also only a 5 min walk from a small food market centred around a square pond sorta thing. Don't expect a backpacker vibe but a good place to eat local food with the locals.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robertohurto
Reviewed July 31, 2016

This hotel was inexpensive, but the facilities were fairly complete with AC, toiletries, towels, flatscreen TV (I don't remember if there were channels in English), & a pool. There was wifi, but the signal was too weak to use in the room I stayed in so I had to go to the restaurant area. The room was large, but the beds were hard and a little uncomfortable. The shower & toilet area wasn't very clean, and there were some insects in the room. The air conditioner in the room we stayed in was cold. The service was aloof, but the man who checked us in spoke English.

The location was good in that it was walking distance to a night market at a 7-11. It's about 10 minutes by tuktuk from the border & 5 minutes to the bus station. I wouldn't go here as a travel destination, but it's good enough for a cheap room for a night when crossing the border with Cambodia.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank dabagus1
Reviewed June 2, 2016 via mobile

This place is a 20 min walk from the bus/train station in Aranyapayhet. It definitely feels like a motel, not something commonly found in Thailand. Each room has its own semi-indoor garage as an entrance, which is pretty interesting. All the rooms are laid out side by side w/ private entrance from the street. Which unfortunately means you also get all the sounds of the street too.

The standard AC room is a good size & was clean: 36" flat panel TV, king size bed (not as rock hard as others complained, I thought), fan, and a few wooden chairs & table. Basic basic.

PROS:
- convenient location to the border crossing.
- restaurant & pool on-site. I didn't use these, but it's a nice amenity.
- standard private AC rooms for 400 THB, fan rooms for 300 THB. I wouldn't say it's an immense value -- all the towels & sheets felt very used (with holes & bleach stains) but still a good one. Cheapest & best value I found in the area.
- The AC in the room I was in worked great (almost too well actually, bc I was freezing), after the 10 min it took to get warmed up.

CONS:
- With so many foreigners passing through (which this place very obviously caters to) I was surprised that the English-speaking skills at the front desk were a bit of a challenge. No big deal though, we got through it just fine.
- There is no remote for the AC, only a switch, so there's no way to control it at all, which was a pain. TV was fine; only 1 English channel, for those who care.
- 200 THB key deposit required upon check in. And they also hand you a TV remote when you check in. It may be understandable, but it will felt a little prison-like.
- They play loud music in the reception area all day & night, which can be loud and audible from the room.
- The outlets in the room seemed to take super long to charge anything and would overheat as well. Maybe bc they're 220V?

Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank travelbugNewYork_NY
Jake L, Owner at Market Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2016

Thank you for your review, We are a budget Motel, and thanks to guests like you after being here for almost 20 years, still remain the best budget value Motel in Aranyaprathet.
We admit the English language is a bit of a challenge at times, it depends on who's on the front desk. Shirley or I try to be there as much as possible, but we all have our lives to live, with the translations on google these days a tablet or smart phone can solve most problems. I am puzzled by your comment about the condition of the towels and sheets, as they were renewed only a few months ago.and will check into that, and make sure that's rectified. Most rooms now have Air con with remote control, a few rooms have thermostats mounted on the wall, all rooms, besides thermostats have an on/of switch overriding the thermostats. All I can think about is that you did not see the thermostat., perhaps hiding behind a curtain or door?. The T.V 's are wired into cable vision with many channels, usually more than one in English, but no guarantees, it's up to the cable company what they put on, and beyond our control, the same goes for the electricity supply, which is operated by the government, the last few years it has become quit reliable, with very few outages, but I've noticed many times that the voltage drops considerably.. As for the B200 key deposit, for budget hotels in Thailand this is quite normal, even up to B1000. The bigger hotel chains normally take a credit card imprint in place of a cash deposit. It's to insure that on checking out you return the key, and the remote controls for the Air Con and T.V. The loud music is also a surprise, as I often have to remind our staff to turn it on when I arrive, should you or anyone else experience that again, please ask them to turn it down, loud music in our establishment is unacceptable, and I will remind them of that! All in all a very balanced review, which is very much appreciated, you might have forgot to mention about the FREE WI FI in all the rooms, as well as the reception and restaurant area, as well as our recently installed 32" flat screen T.V. 's in all the rooms. We also provide bathrooms with Hot showers and western style sit down toilets, which is not the norm in budget rooms in rural Thailand. To conclude , all in all we are very well aware that for us to be successful, we need to keep our guests happy!, and we strive to be good at that.

Reviewed April 9, 2016

My Brit friend and I stayed at the Market motel 1 night on our cycling tour of SE Asia, on our way back to Bangkok April 9, 2016. We booked standard rooms. In my room: the TV remote did not work and I took it back to the desk, and the guy brought out another and it didn't work either; he told me to just change channels manually on the TV. 2. the fan in the room was disconnected and would not turn on. 3. The AC would not cool the room and had a sign on it that said, "do not turn the AC on below 20 deg C as it may freeze up". It's 105 deg F outside and I'm sitting here in the room dripping with sweat. 3, They have a fan over the door that automatic goes on with the light switch, so it pulls out the AC in the room to the outside (nice touch). Also the windows do not close all the way (there is a screen over them), so the AC also goes out the window cooling the outside. 4. Loads of mosquitoes in the room.

I'd stayed here 3 years ago and it wasn't this bad. I would not recommend people stay at this place,. Just too many things wrong with the rooms.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 15; fan does not work, AC does not cool room, remote does not work on TV, and many jmosquitoes.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank ultrarunner
Jake L, Owner at Market Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2016

You also wrote a very negative review about our place a couple of years ago, I wonder why you came back? Doing a bit of research on your reviews of other hotels, many of them very negative, I think I found the answer, you thrive on whinging!, expecting 5 star accomodation in budget hotels. I will address some of your complaints. The T.V. Remote that you returned, someone ( I'm not suggesting it was you) replaced the batteries with dud ones. They were a different brand to what we use. You see, being a budget hotel, it is quite common for our poorer guests to swap their old batteries with our good ones,and we shrug it of as part of the cost of doing business. When you returned the second remote with the same problem, our reception staff got a bit annoyed, I apologise for that. You arrived on a very hot day, riding your bicycle, about noon, (the hottest part of the day) it was 41*C. The sweat was dripping of you. My wife and I both observed you arriving, and she said to me, they must be a bit daft riding bicycles in this temperature, surprising he didn't get heat stroke. No, no hear stroke, but it might have affected your mood somewhat. You complain about a ventilating fan in the room sucking the cold air out. You are correct, it does that, but that fan was installed exactly for people like you who pay no attention to our no smoking rules. It sucks the foul smoke out as well as the cold air. You complain about mosquitoes, when you leave the door open for any length of time as you did, they will come in, we cannot control the environment, but we do spray every room after cleaning. There are also a few other things you forgot to mention in your review, in my opinion a balanced review should mention the good points as well as the bad ones. Maybe a bit of heat stroke after all? We were almost fully booked that day, but when you complained we moved you from room 15 to room 17, and had the cleaning staff clean room 15, the guest that stayed in room 15 after you vacated had no complaints whatsoever. You parked your dirty bicycle in the room, and by the condition of the towels must have cleaned the dust and road oil of your bike with them. This time around you had no complaint about the free WiFi, so that must have been satisfactory? Also since your previous visit, I'm sure you enjoyed out new 32" LCD T.V.? You don't see them much in Budget Hotels in Thailand. When I say budget, let's tell the world that you paid B500 ( less than U.S. $20) for an air conditioned room , for no extra money we provide the use of a nice cool swimming pool. Perhaps we should also mention that we never objected and kept our cool when you brought your own takeaway food to eat in our restaurant, my wife did make the comment,: That person must be very thick skinned! In conclusion let me say, people like you are a challenge, but after nearly 20 years looking after our guests at the market motel, almost all our guests are the nicest people in the world, and have made my life well worth living.

Reviewed February 16, 2016 via mobile

My girlfriend and I have been here for 3 nights before crossing the border to Cambodia. We enjoyed the stay in the complex, although is not really cleaned as place where to sleep. The price is great, with 330 baht we choosed a room with fan and was ok, also because the aircon was available anyway by switching on the switch outside the room :) the toilet was ok, a bit old and simple. The swimming pool fine too, with loads of children around, expecially in the weekend (they allow other people to use it by paying a fee like 50 Baht for adults and 30 for childrens) so in the case you want some relax, the morning will be the best moment to enjoy it. The restaurant with its choice of food is a big thing: local or European food available here, prices are a bit high, and they are a bit slow to serve the food (usually we finished our big Leo beer before the food was on the table) and don't try the pizza :)
For the price this place is reasonably ok.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple