“From a regular: Consistently excellent food and quick service.”

Winnie's Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 72 Restaurants in Coron
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 April 2015

I am based here in Coron for work in one of the hotels. I make it a point to regularly try out the local restaurants so I can make legitimate recommendations to my guests on where to eat.
Winnie's was a surprise, a revelation for me. I did not expect that such a small, simple, unassuming place would serve excellent food--probably the best in Coron, so far.
From the outside, you will not expect much. It is literally a hole-in-wall by the National Highway.Their signage is a lone white tarp with the word Winnie's on it.
If you're looking for "island food"-- grilled seafood and Filipino food, this is not the place. Their menu has European and Asian dishes. My favorites are the octopus salad, crab curry fried rice, Wild pig adobo, stingray in coconut milk, rogan's ghost and steamed fish. They have more than adequate serving sizes ( one serving is good for 3). I am a regular in the restaurant and I have not tried everything in their menu yet (getting there). So far, I have eaten there every month since I got here, and the quality ( and quantity ) of the food has not changed.
They have daily specials--not everything in the menu is served everyday. The owners see what is available in the local market and offer it for the day. Seafood is fresh, and so are the greens.
I have never waited more than 15 minutes for my meal, contrary to what some have written here. They serve you complimentary peanuts while you wait. You are also given free service water (some restaurants in Coron require you to buy water from them), a free dessert, and are not charged extra 10-12% service charge (again, like some restos here).
With the quality, taste and portions of their food, they can actually charge higher--but they opt not to. The last time that I ate there, which was last week, my bill was Php 640.00 (roughy USD 15) with one rice, two main dishes, drinks. I was with my sister, and we even had some leftovers for take away because we were already stuffed.
Again, service is quick and personal. It's always the same lady who serves me, and she always smiles and answers my questions. On a sidenote: the locals are very warm and jovial, almost shy, but never mean. The owner himself leads you to a table, or takes your reservations. He always asks if you liked the food. Ms. Winnie is also the one who cooks your food--I've never seen anyone else do it, except her.
Coron is such a small island. There is much to be desired for when it comes to food. The food served in most restaurants here tend to be mediocre or redundant, uninspired or lacking in creativity.
Winnie's is like a breathe of fresh air. It is simple yet sophisticated and you know that much heart and soul was placed in every dish that is served.
And yes, i do recommend Winnie's to guests in the hotel that I work for. It makes me happy to find out that they love the food and service, as well. I have never had a guest come up to me to complain about their service or food.
A few tips: Make dinner reservations since the place tends to fill up at night.You will have to go to the restaurant to make reservations. It is beside Neptune Dive Center. Go for early dinner--6 or 6:30 PM is not yet crowded. Their washroom needs work (very basic, nothing fancy but otherwise, clean). My favorite spot is the tables outside since the restaurant can get a bit noisy and warm if it is full. Better yet, go there for lunch since the place is not always full for lunch. Order the mango shake. It is the best (and the biggest) shake in Coron. Cheap too, at Php 70.00.

1  Thank feifei704
There are newer reviews for Winnie's Restaurant

Reviewed 22 March 2015

dont bother looking elsewhere as this has the best food in town! must haves include the crab meat curry but after 6 days of trying various things on the menu we just came to the conclusion it was all great!

1  Thank Steve F
Reviewed 22 March 2015

This was to worst place I ate while in Coron. I went to Winnie's based on all the hype in the reviews about good food. I arrived around 7PM and was seated. I noticed that 3 tables were reserved which were never occupied the whole time I was there and I was there awhile due to the slowest service I had while in Coron. We placed our order and the wait began. 45 minutes after ordering the food started to arrive. Octopus Salad 160 Pesos. This was nothing more than octopus dipped in balsamic vinaigrette and place on a lettuce leaf. Really tasteless. Crab Meat Curry 310 Pesos. We both tasted this and left it alone. It was not good at all and I will pretty much eat anything. Vegetable Curry 170 Pesos. Same as the last, tasted and left alone. My friend never had Rouladen so I thought I would have him try a piece at 390 Peso for one piece. It was eatable but was not that good. I have eaten Rouladen a lot and was sad this was my friends first encounter with it. Lobster at 420 Pesos. 3 small lobster tails maybe the size of your 2 thumbs side by side. Lobster was good and I have no complaints except for the price. Fruit Shakes at 80 pesos each. These shakes were really good. We had a Mango shake and pineapple shake. Both were full of flavor.

In the end this place is at the bottom of my list of restaurants in Coron. It's over priced and the food is bland. There are definitely place that are much tastier with lower prices. Skip this one and save your money.

Reviewed 21 March 2015

Winnie's is nothing special, just an all around pleasant dining experience with good Western food and Seafood with little extras the owner throws in. The building is dumpy during the day but looks quite nice at night with the table clothes. It is away from the ocean. The prices are mid-level.

Reviewed 16 March 2015

Great food and affordable prices. Once we found out about Winnie's we just had all our diners there until the end of our stay! Better book a table.