“Food-only visit ..... great!”

and 1 more site!
Kilchoan House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kilchoan
Reviewed 28 August 2017

We came off the last ferry from Tobermory and stopped for food in case there were no open restaurants at our destination.

We sat in the conservatory/ lean-to at the back. Nice and bright looking into the garden. The sun was shining and the food turned out to be great. Four of us tried the fish and chips, pork (Special), and mackerel (Special). Great!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Briggs50

Reviewed 19 August 2017

So you're on holiday in one of the most remote areas of the U.K. How high are your expectations of what is essentially the only accommodation in town? Well, when I booked it, some time before our July stay of two nights, I found the guy in the phone wonderfully chatty and that alone made me want to stay. But if it hadn't, well, the only other choice would be camping, and I'd never get Mr Pixie to do that! So we arrived.

It's a bit scruffy, a bit random and a bit dated, but it does the job, and is very friendly and relaxed. And the staff - worked off their feet as the weather was super good while we were there causing a rush on the restaurant - they were very cheery.

If they did some decoration and updating to the style I guess it would be more expensive so you pays your money...

I think as a hint to them that just a few more up to date pictures and light fittings would make a difference to the rather naff air. But actually it was quite refreshing to be somewhere that didn't really do sophisticated. The lack of a downstairs sitting room was difficult in the morning when we needed to keep the kids quiet and there was nowhere to sit (bar areas locked for obvious reasons)

Food is serviceable. Stick to the basics.

All in all I don't expect to return to the area, but I would use the hotel if I did. You are not in Kilchoan for posh after all.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2017

We stopped here for supper, staying locally. the initial entrance looked hopeful. Welcome (once in the bar) was not immediately forthcoming, but when we asked if we could eat they said we could and said we could sit at the (tiny) round table in the corner near the rather dingy bar. We discovered a much airier dining room at the back with a view (if you can't provide a view in Ardnamurchan...). Friendly staff said we could go there, although I suspect they found it easier to keep an eye on diners at the bar. We ordered Ardnamurchan roast beef from the specials board (and asked for it medium rare), a plate of plain steamed mussels and local salmon. The salmon itself was good, but blanketed in a congealed sauce that was best scraped off. Mussels were dried out and rubbery. But worst, was the roast beef - the slab that arrived was so overcooked you couldn't get your teeth in and was shrouded in gloopy grey gravy. It was a lesson in how to massacre good ingredients and so awful that (for the first time in his life) my husband sent his meal back. Staff were taken aback by this and the reaction was somewhat 'Fawlty Towers'. But to give them their due they did not charge us for the beef. We hear fish and chip nights are good.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2017

The reason this isn't 5 star is that some of our food was not so good. The salmon was hopelessly overcooked and such a small portion that it looked like a fish finger. Another person had a veggie burger which was one of those awful, very cheap mashed potato and diced carrot jobs in bread-crumbs. The reason it is still 4 star and not three star is that it was cheerfully served in pleasant surroundings and not expensive. I think it might sometimes be better, except for the veggie burger, so I would visit again. It's an interesting hotel and very welcome to find in such a remote part of the UK.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2017

Stayed a couple of cool rainy days. Initial impression of our top floor room, rather dark, decorations and furniture dated. But well heated (needed on this occasion, even in June) and spacious. Kept very clean both days. We slept well. The room was surprisingly quiet, bearing in mind how busy the place was, particularly on Friday night. We were on the top floor. I suspect first floor rooms, above the bar, were rather noisier.
The bar on the first night comfortably busy. Enjoyed outstanding fish and real chips, perfectly cooked. Disappointingly, no real ales. On the second night we arrived downstairs to find the bar heaving, standing room only, children running around enjoying themselves.The restaurant area fully booked. We were squeezed into the breakfast room, not the most atmospheric spot. Seemed like Friday nights were occasion for locals to get together. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about the place being busy. Great to see a pub thriving in this way, enjoyed by local families.After all, it's the only one for miles. But as a resident, paying over £100 a night for a room, I'd have liked to be forewarned, giving me a chance to grab a bar seat or book a table. Moreover turned out the Friday menu was much restricted, a handful of meat/fish options.No veggie choices. The staff helpfully offered my non-meat eating wife fried camembert with chips, not an option she would have sought. Not attracted to the few other options, I repeated the previous night's choice. This arrived in a box, decent, but not outstanding as before.
Final morning we came down to breakfast, timed to start at 8.00. With a 60 mile drive, much on single track roads, to a booked ferry, we were keen to leave by 830. We explained the situation.We sat waiting for something to happen, the server trying to reassure us. Appeared the chef had not yet arrived. 30 minutes later my breakfast finally appeared. Another 10 minutes and my wife was still waiting. We upped and left, arriving at our ferry 5 mins before final check in.
A small staff of young Europeans, willing and friendly, though one, rather sombre, seemed to have forgotten that customers appreciate the occasional smile. Couldn't work out who, if anyone, was managing, but staff were working hard.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2017

Our room was good but the bathroom mirror was too high for anyone vertically challenged to use. The dining room chairs we used have gone beyond their use by date, being uncomfortable and sagging. This was the only fault we had with the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2017

Enjoyed delicious fish and chips here on a very busy Friday night. Despite the staff being under pressure to deliver high numbers of orders they did so with a smile and accommodated our children's needs too. Enjoyed eating outside in the sunshine until the midges arrived!
Great little community pub. Well done!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilchoan
18.8 km away
8.4 km away
Western Isles Hotel
Western Isles Hotel
#3 of 3 in Tobermory

Been to Kilchoan House Hotel? Share your experiences!