All reviewsbernese oberlandhot tubno elevatorone nighton sitebreadspareceptionistvegetariantouristsgriesalprouteluggagevalleytvvillageworld
Reviewed May 29, 2015

The venue looks ridiculously pretentious and lavish. At the restaurant the waiter does not speak SwissGerman. The Heidelbeertorte tasted terrible...and dated back from a least one or two days before. The two goats looked nice.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank xvdgerd
Reviewed September 1, 2014

My son, daughter and I recently stayed at this hotel. Over the past 6 years, I have stayed here 9 nights, including a weekend with my husband. Our previous stays have been lovely and we have always looked forward to coming back. However, this time changed our opinion of the hotel.
When we went to check in, it was evident the hotel was nearly empty. In fact, we only saw two other guests while we were there. As it was raining, we asked if we could stay in the same part of the hotel as the restaurant. The receptionist said no unless we paid to upgrade at a price of 165 Swiss francs for the two rooms (1 double and 1 single). As this seemed a bit exorbitant for an empty hotel, we declined. We were led to the more dormitory like building where the room I shared with my daughter was so small there was no space for two suitcases and two backpacks with our hiking boots and poles. The double bed was pushed very close to the wall so that when getting into bed the person on that side had to scrape against a rough textured wall. The bathroom had no place for toiletries either near the sink or in the tiny shower. It was very cramped. It was definitely a two star, budget accommodation.

As regular visitors to this hotel, we were very disappointed. One would expect that with the hotel almost empty, it would seem reasonable to reward our fidelity.

Room Tip: If your budget only permits for the low priced rooms, opt for one of the other hotels in Kiental.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Happymountainhiker
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We spent 2 nights here and loved every minute of it. Herr Schweitzer, the 'boss' , fetched us in a snowmobile and personally prepared us a 4 course meal which was simply outstanding...truffle salad starter, potato saffron 'macchiato' and celery soup duo with blue fin tuna sashimi , main course of entrecôte wrapped in bacon with cumin carrots and potato wedges and finally a raspberry sorbet with vieille prune liqueur served with chocolate brownie and a layered raspberry cheesecake. All paired with great wines.....A morning snow shoe walk was followed by a soak in the outdoor hot tub surrounded by majestic snow mountain views. Finally, sledging back down to the car park the next day completed our fun filled couple of days.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank JHerlig
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We enjoyed a really relaxing stay at Griesalp. We loved the design of the rooms at Grandhotel Griesalp and the food on the terrace - try the Heidelbeerrisotto! Remarkable is the wooden furniture, the Grand Hotel is filled with antiquitees. Check out as well the lobby / bar area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank rrh999
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Well, we had a voucher to spend with TUI, that's how we ended up here. Location was perfect for our romantic getaway, and we loved the choice of hiking routes. The room we had in one of the smaller buildings was just plain gorgeous. I felt like taking some of the furniture home. Things started to get weird when we, like good hotel guests, promptly showed up for dinner. Portions were so tiny, my hubby had to order a full second round (and stick ended up munching some biscuits back in the room). After 2 such dinners, we were sneaking off to neighboring chalet hotels for some nice honest Alpenmakaroni. But what bugged me about this place the most was the fact that the guy who runs the place was really chatty and nice, offered us some hand picked herb tea, and some cream for my hubby's knee -- and the morning we were checking out he was nowhere to be found, and we saw that all these little things he kept offering us showed up as hilariously high extra charges on the bill!!! I'd never felt so cheated in my whole life!

That said, the place it's just beautiful. If go back but for the pretentious prices and management style. They've decided to turn the place into a spa resort, but frankly, I can't really see anyone going there for that reason. It's in the middle of nowhere, with no phone coverage or internet, in a real hikers' paradise. I wish they'd left it the hikers' hotel it is, this new venture off theirs is half baked, they don't have the facilities, nor the guests. All they have to show for it is their scary prices.

• Stayed: September 2012