Sol Cayo Largo
Hotel Pelicano(Cayo Largo)
Villa Lindamar(Cayo Largo)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Playa Larga(Playa Larga)
4,729 results
All reviewssol cayolas trinasfishpastasnack barceiling fancrepesbeach restauranta la carteocean viewbaby turtlesother resortsred flagwater pressurespent a weekbeautiful beachbuffet restaurant
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We stayed at Sol Cayo Largo from March 16 to 23, 2012. It was a disappointment comparing to our stay there four years ago and last year’s stay at Sol Pelicano. Firstly, the resort is definitely not worth the price that is being charged. It might look nice on the outside but the rooms show serious neglect. The lock on the balcony door did not work properly, also the door was very difficult to slide. I had to use a considerable force to move it just a crack, but considering that the lock did not work this was probably an advantage. However, there are worse things than the door. Both I and my husband were sick from the food. I was sick twice and still suffer from the effects of food poisoning. The first time we were not sure of the source but the second time we figured it out. It was the undercooked meat from the beach side barbeque. I suspect that it was the same the first time. Do not eat anything from the barbeque, there is usually a lineup and the cook is probably rushing and not cooking the meat long enough. In both cases it was the chicken. Also be careful with meat from the grill in the main buffet. On two occasions the chicken and hamburger that I ordered were partially raw. Do not rely on the cook, make sure that you are comfortable with the amount of time the meat is being grilled or barbequed. We found that we were not the only ones that were sick, on the departure day we have spoken to a number of people from the same flight, out of approximately 14 people, at least 6 were sick at some point.

Another problem at this resort is the number of cats roaming freely the restaurants and buffet area and begging for food. Normally, I am a cat lover and have one at home but this was totally inappropriate. Because of the open concept, the buffet and especially the beach restaurant are infested with flies. It is really disgusting as flies are on every platter with meat, bread, fruit and dessert. Initially they cover the dishes with saran wrap but it is impossible to keep it on all the time and eventually the dishes stay open. In the evening it is impossible to eat your dinner without being constantly bitten by bugs, it is extremely annoying as the bites are very itchy. The service is another thing, unless you tip the staff in advance, you are mostly ignored. We resorted to getting our drinks ourselves from the machine. In conclusion, I do not recommend this resort, and if you decide to go, be very, very careful what you eat.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are more comfortable in terms of temperature. There is no insulation from the roof, so the top floor rooms are stifling hot.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank Lucyna S
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We stayed at Sol Cayo Largo from Jan. 13 to Jan. 20, 2012. This is our 2nd vacation to the island of Cayo Largo. Last year we stayed at Playa Blanca. Both resorts are very nice. The grounds & rooms are nicer at Sol. At both resorts the housekeeping staff did a great job keeping our rooms clean. The bathrooms at both resorts need facelifts, but we always had clean towels, hot water & they were cleaned as best as possible. We don't go on vacation to sit in the bathroom & admire it. This didn't bother us that much. The towel art was something that we looked forward to when we returned to our room to get ready for the evening ahead.
At both resorts the nightly entertainment staff was great. The shows were professionally done.
The house band at Playa Blanca, played from lunch until whenever. We didn't even hear the band at Sol Cayo Largo, BUT they kept trying to get us to buy their CD!!
Our room wasn't ready at check in at Sol, but we had bathing suits & sandals in our carry on (highly recommended). We changed in the lobby washroom & began our relaxing vacation.
The staff at reception was very helpful & accommodating. We were in our room before 3:00 PM.
We recommend renting a jeep for the day as you can travel where you want, when you want & see things that you don't see when taking a taxi. We had a wonderful day touring the island at our leisure. We visited Playa Blanca to visit our friend Giancarlo. He works as a lifeguard on the island. It is good to know the lifeguard, as the beaches are usually yellow or red flagged!!!
The majority of the staff, as far as we are concerned are friendlier & more attentive at Playa Blanca, with some exception. Yadira, Noel, Allie & Cadros(?) & all the staff at the Sol Azul pool bar were excellent!
There wasn't really a problem finding a lounge chair either at the beach or the pool at the Sol, unlike Playa Blanca.
We went to Sirena Beach one morning around 9:30 am & there wasn't a seat to be found. If you are planning to spend the day there go early!!
The buffet at Playa Blanca is far better than at Sol Cayo Largo. The food is better & the staff are friendlier & attentive. We went many times to the buffet at Sol & no one came over to us. That was never the case at Playa Blanca. We didn't go hungry, but the food and service just wasn't as good.
For comparision between the 2 resorts. Rooms & grounds are prettier at Sol Cayo Largo.
The beach is the same at both resorts. (FUN)
The food is better at Playa Blanca & the majority of the staff is friendlier & more attentive at Playa Blanca.
Would we recommend Sol Cayo Largo? Yes, but we won't go back. The Sol Cayo Largo is $200.00 to $400.00 more expensive & doesn't provide any more (sometimes less) amenities than Playa Blanca

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
21  Thank ks_gm_12
Reviewed February 11, 2012

You MUST go to Cayo Largo. It's a real paradise. But the Sol Cayo Largo Hotel needs to pay more attention to its food. I know that it's an island of another island, that nobody actually lives there, but I think hygiene and care is universal, non ideological values. We stayed 3 nights in january and never had dinner in a "a la carte" restaurant, even staying at a 'luxury' suite (they promise you a guaranteed a la carte booking, but actually they send you to the beach restaurant, open, where the lunch is served). Actually the bathroom needs some improvements. Considering you are in Cuba, in a tiny island of Cuba, I think it's almost the best you can wait.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank LMVoyageur
Reviewed February 10, 2012

This was our 12th vacation in Cuba, and our 8th to this resort. Over the years we have made many friends there, both with other tourists we meet ther every year, and many of the staff. When we arrived we were immediately met by several staff who recognised us and welcomed us warmly like an old friend, with hugs and handshakes. We felt as if we were returning home. As usual, I can say nothing negative about the staff. They are all very friendly, wonderful people, from the gardeners, to maids to waiters, and the front desk. Rooms are very clean, and food this year seemed to be better than in previous years. Lots of choice. There is no excuse to being hungry here. The difficult part for me is that the resort itself is getting very tired. The rooms and furniture badly need an update, the pool liners are starting to bubble, and need replacing, there are many cracks and holes in the pathways, and unfortunately the beach had almost gone in front of the resort. We suspect as a result of the large cut back in staff this year. Although we did not go to Playa Sirenes, we were told by many that did that it had lots of cigarette ends and plastic cups etc on the beach. A very negative change from the pristine white sand of a few years ago. We really love this resort, and the staff, very much, and will probably go back next year, but if the repairs and renovations are not carried out, that sadly may be our last visit.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank David M
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Was upgraded from the Pelicano to the Sol Club in January 2011 and I immediately fell in love with the charms of the El Cayito. But on the last day, they ran out of tonic water. Oh well, I thought, there's always next time.

In January 2012 the bus dropped us off after the 6AM Toronto flight at 10:30AM in the hotel. The rooms were not ready, not until 3PM we were told. Others were outraged, but I just changed into my beach gear in the lobby men's room and headed for the beach, snorkeled, and say two fish underwater before lunch.

But everything in the hotel seemed just a bit run down. The El Cayito was STILL out of tonic water! That's okay, I happened to bring a bottle in my suitcase....how did I somehow know? The decorative pond at the western end by all the restaurants has not been scrubbed down in years: It looks terrible. I had a family member dying back at home and this time, of all times for that to happen, they ran out of the internet access cards. We were all cut off from the outside world for the entire week! The musicians seemed particularly dispirited, and could only work their way through a repertoire of about 18 numbers. No free-form jamming, like the Septuo Son de Calman (of Varadero fame)

My complaint is that this is the most pricey hotel on the island. I could have saved a bundle had I gone to the Playa Blanca and had the same complaints.

i will return here some day, but the magic spell has been broken.

JG, Toronto