“Tuesday Lunch”

The Chequers Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Rookley
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Set in the middle of some of the Isle of Wight's most beautiful countryside, the historic Chequers Inn was once a Customs and Excise house. The Chequers has been in the Holmes family for 28 years and is now ran by Mark Holmes and his wife Laura. The pub offers a traditional family pub atmosphere, whilst delivering fantastic fresh tasty food, where we proudly use some of the best produce that the island has to offer. Head chef, Steve Harris, and his kitchen team take immense pride in using our own home-made recipes where possible, to ensure a unique and personal dining experience for everyone.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

First impression,not much spent on filling holes in carpark. Bright paintwork,not that busy for the amount of cars. Accepted dog, shown to our table not in main restaurant, but small room leading off. Friendly staff, lot of attention shown to dog.Ordered our drinks, then our meals, starter Scallops with sauce & apple strips. Scallops quite small but ok. Mains Risotto & a Sirloin Steak with a blue cheese sauce. Risotto , flavour fine rice not so, bit lumpy. Steak not blue as ordered,closer to medium,checked the blue sauce for me,it was the one ordered. Not the strong taste i expected, no taste quite bland.For the cost of this steak meal thought it would be better. Should have had a basic Pub menu, they are out of their depth trying to be a Gastro Pub. So many Pubs do this sort of food,some get it right unfortunately for us the Chequers didn't.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

We had a lovely family lunch last Sunday and I had the roast beef. but it was lovely, tender and a nice size portion.My only complaint was that the gravy was like water.

We will be back, and hopefully the gravy thing was a one off !

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

We visited Easter Sunday for carvery and then again tonight for dinner from the menu. I loved the menu and liked everything on it, couldn’t fault the food it was outstanding. The staff are very friendly, I loved the decor and thought the menu was reasonably priced for the amount and standard of food we received. I would highly recommend here, and if we lived closer we would be there all the time. Perfect, thank you!

3  Thank Hayleymilano_13
Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

A last minute decision to go for an Easter Sunday Carvery took us to the refurbished Chequers Inn. At first I thought we would not find a table as they were so busy, however a very helpful member of staff took us to a table in the Conservatory - perfect!
Service for drinks and food was both prompt and friendly - a great start.
The Carvery presentation was very nice with a good selection of meats and fresh vegetables. Back to our table for the tasting and we were very satisfied indeed, everything was perfectly cooked the only problem being that we didn't have room for dessert! We will definitely be back to the Chequers in future.

1  Thank Michael M
Reviewed March 31, 2018

Anyone who follows my account will be aware that I don't easily give out accolades but the refurbished Chequers has impressed me, and that is pretty rare. I agree, the atmosphere is not perhaps as it should be, not what you would expect from a well loved country pub, but the menu ... the menu is sublime.

The manager seems to be aware of the shortcomings and has plans to make the Chequers more of a populist eatery.

I recommend the belly pork, probably the best I've eaten. The initial welcome was good and the waitress service is adequate, they catered well for a gluten free request and a fussy teenager.

I'm impressed.