“Anthea Lilley”

Price range: US$10 - US$27
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Nestled on the shores of the upper Waitemata, The Riverhead is steeped in local history and was a vital part of the development of early New Zealand. Prior to The Riverhead being built on this site, Thomas Deacon, the original owner, owned a pub on the point just below where The Riverhead now stands. The early Maori used this landing point as the place to disembark and portage their waka across land to the Kumeu River to get easier access to the lands in the Far North. Early immigrants then used this same route to travel north, disembarking at Helensville and continuing by ship north via the Kaipara Harbour.
Reviewed October 15, 2018 via mobile

Had the best meal of our NZ trip Gnocchi to die for and Fish and chips. Lovely ambience and friendly staff. Obviously tried and true run operation.

Date of visit: October 2018
Paula P, Owner at The Riverhead, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2018

Hi Anthea,
Yes, this establishment has been around since 1857 so we love to offer good old Kiwi cuisine and hospitality. Thanks for the wonderful review, we do appreciate it, kind regards Paula

Reviewed October 14, 2018

Lived in NZ many years ago and back for a visit . My friends and I decided on having a special meal before I go home and it was special. Several of us wanted a steak and it wasn’t on the menu but it was no trouble for them to rustle them up. It tasted great one of the best tasting steaks I’ve ever had. Also ribs were had by a few on our table . Well cooked and very tasty . The meat just fell of the bone and tasted great. Try the sweets they were delicious and just enough to finish the evening. The drinks were normal but I thought a bit dear for the glass size but this is to be expected. The restaurant is very nice and very clean.
The staff are great , we had a great waitress by the name of Jules. Nothing was too much trouble for her. She also had a great sense of humour and enjoyed having some banter. She made our night. All the service was spot on so I’m not sure what a previous review was moaning about. As for jules she is a gem and hope to have her service me next time I’m in NZ. (Fell in love with her . Lol.)
Please visit this restaurant it’s worth it .
Peter

Date of visit: October 2018

This is awesome! Jules remembers serving you and it sounds as though you really had a good time. Thanks for taking the time to post the review and hopefully we'll see you again next time you're in New Zealand. kind regards Paula

Reviewed October 13, 2018 via mobile

Great venue for a function, if the owner/host is present, as the staff alone need greater supervision to provide the expected service than what we experienced without the owner/host present. The issue we had was making sure the food and beverage service was up to the standard expected and contracted, as it wasn’t. This translates to achieving only half the value we paid for. So sad, and a waste in the end. The reputation of a venue depends on trust and goodwill, which has been compromised here.

Date of visit: October 2018

Hi Peter, I had a telephone conversation with your wife about this and I really appreciated her call. I always find it best to be able to discuss the matters in person as it enables us to address any issues. Regards Paula

Reviewed October 13, 2018 via mobile

We had an amazing bottomless brunch at The Landing restaurant with bottomless bubbles and an amazing meal. The view was fabulous and the service was excellent. Highly recommend!

Date of visit: October 2018

Bottomless Brunch is a load of fun for a group to kick-start a weekend day...hope to see you again some time, cheers Paula

Reviewed October 9, 2018 via mobile

My sister and I and 20 others celebrated our birthday yesterday. The service was outstanding and the food and wine was perfect. Definitely recommend. (Lovely outlook over the estuary too)

Date of visit: October 2018

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your birthday with us. Happy Belated Birthday! thabnks Paula