“Along the Plains of Saskatchewan”

Southern Prairie Railway
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Ogema
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 11 November 2015

The flat prairie lies before you; grain elevators pop up on the horizon and you begin to make out the town's name, faded and worn on the side of the old sentinel. My wife and I have experienced this amazing little tour of our province's history twice. We took the short train to the aptly named Horizon in June and she rode the train back in October for the 12hr run (I followed, camera in hand). Great people that embody the prairie spirit of welcome arms. We plan to head down again in the future.

2  Thank Mark Z
Jon S, Board Member at Southern Prairie Railway, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2016

Thanks for the detailed feedback Mark! Definitely plenty of beautiful photo opportunities throughout this adventure from station, rail to the elevator destination. Appreciate it, and hope to see you again.

There are newer reviews for Southern Prairie Railway

Reviewed 20 September 2015

I agree with all that Morganruns has said about the Supper Trail. The museum is worth seeing before you ride the train. As an English visitor such places are an eye opener to another way of life, as is the apparently 'deserted' countryside. My only quibble is that it's perhaps a little pricey, even allowing for a good musically-accompanied supper, but then there is a lot in this heritage railway that needs maintaining, and I applaud the operator for bringing tourism to this area. I've found it hard to but postcards in Canada; maybe this is something extra they could add.

1  Thank Zumfan
Reviewed 19 September 2015 via mobile

Great tour. Riding the rails near Ogema like in the 1920's. Train is wonderfully restored by the Ogema Historical Train Association. An enjoyable ride with narrative by Cheryl

Reviewed 15 September 2015

My husband and I were part of the Rotary Club of Moose Jaw Wakamow expedition to Ogema on September 5, 2015 where we participated in the Rum Runner Tour (Southern Prairie Railway). The train trip, on an authentic steam train, lovingly restored by the Ogema community, was about one hour in duration. On the trip to the town of Horizon, Cheryl Generous was the ultimate hostess, informing us of the history of the locomotive and Ogema. Once we arrived in Horizon, we disembarked and were settled on what Cheryl referred to as the “People Mover.” Sadly, rains had hit us and the tarp covering our mode of transport, was broken. However, blankets were brought out and we arrived at the Horizon church for our supper. On the menu were Marco the chef’s lasagne, two lovely salads, sourdough bread and tiramisu for dessert. I had earlier inquired about gluten free options and was happily accommodated. Our meal was accompanied by local dancers and a drum/ keyboard ensemble playing songs befitting the 1920’s rum runner era! All in all, this is a "don’t miss” activity. Several members on our train had dressed in Capone era garb which added to the fun of the event!

Reviewed 13 September 2015 via mobile

We went to this awesome train ride and it didn't disappoint.
If you're in the area, don't hesitate to check this out.