“Overall a very good experience with some room for improvement.”

Lights Over Lapland
Nightly Aurora Photo Tour in Abisko National Park
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Abisko
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Lights Over Lapland specializes in helping people from all over the world see and photograph the magical aurora borealis in Abisko National Park, Sweden. We offer a full range of adventures including five-day all inclusive aurora photo expeditions, nightly aurora photo trips with all camera gear provided and virtually any customizable aurora holiday that you can imagine. We are proud of the fact that we were the first aurora photo tour in Abisko National Park.
Reviewed January 5, 2018

My experience in seeing the Aurora with Lights Over Lapland was very enjoyable and I wouldn't hesitate to book with them again. Our guide Chris was absolutely fantastic in making sure that everyone was taken care of and ensuring that we all got the most out of the our time when the aurora was visible.

However there are couple of things that could have made my trip even more enjoyable.

The first thing is that they didn't make it clear to me that many of their services and tours would be filled by third party companies. The airport pick up, hotel transfers, sled dog and snowmobiling was all provided by third party companies contracted by Lights Over Lapland.

This caused some initial confusion for me when I arrived at Kiruna airport because I was expecting to see a driver holding a sign with either my name or the name Lights Over Lapland but this was not the case. It turns out that the name of the company that is contracted for the airport pickup is called Visit Abisko.

Considering that all my correspondence so far had been with a company called Lights Over Lapland it doesn't make any sense for me to think that I would be picked up by a company with a totally different name. Especially when there was a dozen or so other companies all waiting to pick up guests at the same time.

Once I arrived back home I did see on the Lights Over Lapland website that they mention their transfer service is done by a company called Visit Abisko but it would have been nice if this was mentioned to me in advance.

I also noticed that none of the drivers who came to pick me up at the hotel for the various tours that I had booked had the name Lights Over Lapland on their vehicles or clothing. In fact the only time I saw the Lights Over Lapland logo was on the arctic overalls they gave me to use.

I believe that Lights Over Lapland could do a better job here in letting their guests know who exactly will be picking them up.

The second thing is that there was a lot of confusion from the guests when it came time to go out on our different tours. It seems that there are various companies all operating at the same time and so it was a bit confusing as to which guide everyone is supposed to be following.

Asking the other guests which tour they booked doesn't help because most of the tours have very similar sounding names with some combination of aurora, photography and tour in them. Add in the fact that many of the guests I saw were not native English speakers and I noticed the guides spent a lot of time trying to organize everyone into their correct groups.

The guides themselves were excellent but I feel that this part could be more efficient. Especially considering that some guests are booking the same tour but through different websites, it all adds to a lot of confusion on the guests part.

As I mentioned Chris and all the guides that I had were excellent and really worked hard to make the tour memorable. One wish that I have is that I wished their was some type of "advanced" option for each tour.

It seems that most of the other guests who were out on the nightly photography tour were not photographers and it was a little frustrating at times to have to deal with the lights from their headlamps. This was especially annoying when I was taking a time lapse photo and one of the other guests wandered over to me with his headlamp ablaze!

I would love the option of a photographer specific tour where everyone knows what they are doing and we could all share tips with each other on how to get the best photo.

Another tour that I wished had an advanced option was the snowmobiling tour. Most of the other guests had never driven a snowmobile before so we had to take a rather slow pace with stops every few minutes to make sure everyone was ok. Then we took what felt like an exceptionally long break while the guide built a fire to allow the other guests to warm up.

I realize the company has to cater to all different abilities but I would have liked it if we could have spent more time on the sled to explore the park more.

Overall I'm happy with the experience I had with Lights Over Lapland and perhaps the desire I have for more advanced tours is something that I need to book independently myself. If you're thinking about visiting Abisko to see the aurora I highly recommend it because she the green lady dances it is an amazing sight to see!

2  Thank motoyen
in 8 reviews
"bucket list"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed January 3, 2018

Me and my wife booked this trip several months in advance to get two seats for the turning of the year timeframe. The organization and help form Light over Lapland could not be better – quick, competent and very friendly.
When we finally arrived at the Kiruna Airport they started to deliver what the promised with awesome service. Comfortable bus transfer to the hotel where you got the first impression of the “extra mile service” of our guide Chris. While other tourists now had to stand in line for checking in to the Hotel, he already did this for the Lights over Lapland Group and just handed out the keys. Thank you Chris!!

Chris than informed us over the next days programs and started to relax us all by being very confident that we will see an aurora within our tips timeframe. We were very nervous before, reading the weather forecasts, that where not to promising due to clouds… Please remember: This is nature and not a Lightshow at Disney! Although your chances here in Abisko are very high, there is no guarantee to see the aurora. So please be smart and do not ask the receptionist at the hotel, at exact which hour the aurora will take place every day… as we have actually witnessed. Let nature take care of this and trust in the experience and confidence of your guide.

Beside the night tours with Chris to hunt and picture the aurora, we also did a dog sledge tour (Kirunadogsled.com), a Skidoo Tour and a visit to the Ice Hotel near Kiruna. All were booked via Lights over Lapland and were AWESOME!

And in the end, we also saw what we came for: the best aurora “firework” on 31.12 that you can wish for! We really got hooked up for this. And although we were thinking this would be a once in a lifetime trip for us, we started to plan when we will come back.

2  Thank Fraaanz
Reviewed December 31, 2017

I'm new to photography and was traveling solo, this was a great tour for my first time seeing the northern lights! I don't remember my guides name, but he was great. He helped get everything set up (they supply cameras, tripods, everything!), but also made sure we knew what he was doing to the cameras so we could do it again ourselves. I did get really cold (bring extra hand/foot warmers!) but was able to pop in the teepee to warm up a bit. Everyone in the group was super friendly, so it wasn't a problem I was there alone.

I was able to go out the following night on my own (with my own camera this time) and take some great pictures!

I visited the end of March 2017, but still was able to see the northern lights.

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed December 31, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I feel very grateful to have seen such powerful auroras with the naked eye the night we did this. Mother Nature really put on a show and our wonderful guide Harry helped us adjust settings quickly to maximise the quality of our photography. Although at one point I think we all just stood there frozen in absolute awe with mouths wide open!

See more reviews
Reviewed December 31, 2017 via mobile

It was a wonderful night. We had great experience when seeing very strong lights moving and dancing in the sky and were able to capture great photos with professional camera and tripod provided by the tour. Great thanks to our friendly tour guide - Chris Hodgson for being very helpful throughout the 3 hour tour with us, getting the camera ready for aurora shooting and patiently providing good tips for setting for our own camera to get the best photos. It was also very nice of him to offer help to take our portrait photos with the aurora and make sure every one had the best photo with the lights. He was constantly checking everyone’s camera to ensure the settings and focus of the cameras are right for the lights. He also quickly set fires in the tent and hot drinks ready to keep us warm. We were really lucky to see the lights for almost 2 hours from starting to ending but might not be able to keep this great moment and best photos without Chris’s help. I will definitely recommend this tour to my friends.