Having just returned from 3 weeks at Jacaranda Indian Ocean Beach Resort booked with Somak I cannot praise it enough. I had read some negative reports before we went and was so glad we ingnored them! The rooms were clean and spacious with the most amazing sea view. It was great to wake up to the sound of the waves, clean linen and towels were provided daily. The staff were friendly and very helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The food was varied and breakfast buffet was amazing - I defy anyone not to find something they liked. Evening meals were 5 courses and mainly table d'hote service with a choice of at least 3 starters and main courses. We also ate at the Bahari Cover (seafood) at an extra cost (although it you go in the evenings you get a 750 ks credit per person which brings the cost down), but was well worth it - try the king prawns, highly recommended. We did a 3 day safari to Tsavo east and west, booked through Somak, which was out of this world. We saw all the animals you can imagine except the rhinos which are tagged to stop the poachers, this means that at the slightest vibration of movement they run away, disappointing but understandable when you see and hear what the poachers do! We also ventured out alone in Ukunda using the local matutoo (not sure if that is the correct spelling), anyway the local bus service, quite an experience but the drivers are helpful, can be a bit hairy at times and not for the faint hearted. There is a bar on the beach called the Dhow Bar which sells the drinks at a slightly lower price than the main bars - the only drawback with this bar is the beach-boys who hang around there. The beach-boys are a darned nuisance and find it difficult to take NO for an answer, they will pester you at times and if they do the only way to stop them following you is to be very firm, almost to the point of being rude - which is a bit of a shame. Please also be aware that whatever they are selling can be bought far, far cheaper from the local shops and even the hotel shop and any mention of supporting their village is a ploy to get your sympathy. If you want to support the locals use the shops in Ukunda not the beach boys.All in all a fantastic experience that we hope to one day repeat - hopefully very soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Jacaranda Indian Ocean Beach Resort is located 40 km's from Mombasa town and situated along the white sandy beaches of south coast surrounded by swaying coconut palm trees and magnificent old stoic baobabs. Jacaranda Indian Ocean Beach Resort comprises of 100 deluxe rooms, tastefully crafted and beautifully furnished found in white washed, 'makuti' roofed structures. The rooms, double or twin, are tastefully appointed with local hand carved furnishings and are filled with luxurious amenities; walk-in shower, separate toilet, mini-bar, direct dial telephone, hair dryer and have the convenience of both air-conditioning and a central ceiling fan. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity.ca, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Jacaranda Indian Ocean Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jacaranda Indian Ocean Beach Club Hotel Diani
- Jacaranda Indian Ocean Beach Hotel
- Indian Ocean Beach Club